Player Discussion Anton Khudobin UPDATE Signs 2y deal with Dallas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Let's not re-write the history of Malcom Subban here. He did nothing to show he was ready to back up Rask this past season. I don't think the Bruins wanted to let him go, but the expansion draft rules made it a moot point. *edit to correct an error!* Now there are two young tenders in Swayman and Keyser (as well as Zane) that might be ready in a short time to replace Dobby, and eventually Rask. As for Dobby, who knows what will happen. I still wonder if the supposed concern over the position has to do with his contract demands in terms of money, not length. I don't see how we get around not re-signing him at what he wants for a two years unless the brass really believe McIntyre is ready to step up. If not, its better to keep Dobby than risk signing one of the crap choices of UFA goalies that will be out there.

Don't forget 6'5" tall Daniel Vladar. He will likely be the the back-up to McIntyre in Providence soon and is ahead of Swayman and Keyser in the pipeline. He has pretty solid career stats and has played well in limited appearances in Providence (12-6 record with a .922 save percentage and a shutout).

Here is his profile from The Hockey News: The Hockey News

ASSETS:
A huge netminder, he displays tremendous athleticism and overall agility. His lateral quickness and flexibility are off-the-charts good. In terms of natural talent, he has it in spades. Owns the potential to steal games by himself.
FLAWS:
Is extremely raw and needs plenty of work on the technical aspects of the netminding position. Also, he can be caught too deep in the crease area from time to time. Needs a lot of time to iron out the kinks in his game.
CAREER POTENTIAL:
Huge, talented goaltender with good upside.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
That's right, Vladar- thanks for the reminder! Surely one out of those four has the stuff to be at least a solid NHL backup.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
He was in net for 39 of the Bruins 112 points (16-6-7), basically 35% of their total points.

The don't make the playoffs without him.

2.5 a season for two years seems pretty fair IMO.

Bruins can't be paying their back up goalie 2.5 a year. I'm sure he'll get it from someone, but he's only ever had success in the NHL in Boston as a back up.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Bruins can't be paying their back up goalie 2.5 a year. I'm sure he'll get it from someone, but he's only ever had success in the NHL in Boston as a back up.

Yeah 2.5 million is way too much for the guy in net for 1/3 your total points. (Sarcasm)

You do realize the difference between Khudobin and likely a lesser option is about a million a year.

Is that worth giving up 10-15 points a season?

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Just think of the talent the Bruins could acquire for that 750k they saved.
That's not the point. Any money remaining is good money in that situation... I don't think the Bruins need to pay 2.5-3 million for a backup goalie when the starter is making 7.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
They’re in a precarious position.

In a perfect world, you want to spend peanuts on your backup goalie.

However, when it comes to Rask, he’s at his best when you’re able to split things 60/40 so you need someone more than capable in that backup role.

I don’t completely trust Khodobin and don’t want to venture into midrange money with him.

It’s a real shame they don’t have someone from within the organization.

Reactions: Chief Nine

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
That's not the point. Any money remaining is good money in that situation... I don't think the Bruins need to pay 2.5-3 million for a backup goalie when the starter is making 7.

What odds what the starter is making?

Cutting corners on your back-up goaltender seems like a pretty short-sighted move given their importance these days.

If they want to save some coin, do it at a less important position.

I don't think it's any coincidence that Braeden Holtby had his best playoff run after playing just 54 games in the regular season.

Or that Matt Murray being able to step in half-way into a playoff run for the Pens was a big reason he was able to outduel Rinne and post back-2-back shutouts in the Pens final two wins.

These guys need proper rest now. And the margins between making and not making it are so thin, and competition so tight with really no easy games anymore, you need two good goaltenders.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
He was in net for 39 of the Bruins 112 points (16-6-7), basically 35% of their total points.

The don't make the playoffs without him.

2.5 a season for two years seems pretty fair IMO.

39 points by the back up.

That puts them down to 73

To have been definitively in the playoff picture they needed 97 points, (23 additional points to Rasks games, approximately 12 wins or some combination of OT losses and wins)

IF the Bruins are out of the run for any bigger name players, and have cap space, sure, spend it on a backup. But otherwise, I'm pretty certain there are other goalies that can provide the numbers they need at a more favorable number, as long as Rask holds up his part of the bargain.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Cutting corners on your back-up goaltender seems like a pretty short-sighted move given their importance these days.

If they want to save some coin, do it at a less important position.

I would rather spend that extra 750k on Dobby than sign another Paul Postma type who will rarely, if ever, play.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
Yeah 2.5 million is way too much for the guy in net for 1/3 your total points. (Sarcasm)

You do realize the difference between Khudobin and likely a lesser option is about a million a year.

Is that worth giving up 10-15 points a season?

The season before he only had one win before Christmas. So which guy are you getting??

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
The season before he only had one win before Christmas. So which guy are you getting??

If there is a concern about re-signing Dobby, it would be this, not the 500-750k more that he wants in a deal. The question is, if you don't trust Dobby for another 2 year deal, who do you sign for what people think a backup makes and is there any less risk in doing that? Backup goalies are backup goalies for a reason- if they gave you consistently great goaltending every time you used them, they'd end up being starters somewhere.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
39 points by the back up.

That puts them down to 73

To have been definitively in the playoff picture they needed 97 points, (23 additional points to Rasks games, approximately 12 wins or some combination of OT losses and wins)

IF the Bruins are out of the run for any bigger name players, and have cap space, sure, spend it on a backup. But otherwise, I'm pretty certain there are other goalies that can provide the numbers they need at a more favorable number, as long as Rask holds up his part of the bargain.
This assumes that one of these other goalies will be able to play as often as Khudobin did and will allow Rask the rest needed for him to attain 73 points. There are more considerations than just the dollars here.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I was as critical as anyone of Khudobin that year before Cassidy came in. Actually called for him to be placed on waivers about 3-4 days before it actually happened.

But I'll go by recent history and say he's been very good. Now that being said, I'm not saying it HAS to be Khudobin, but I want Khudobin or someone better. I'm not interested in downgrading the back-up position to save 500k-1 million, I put too much value in that important role.

If they spend less than Khudobin gets on a goaltender, they better know what they are getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad