Injury Report: Anthony LaPanta, Vocal Chords

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I don't think he can change his goal call. It's his signature on the broadcast. Plus he'd have to train himself to do something else. The SCOOOORRREEESSS!!! call is basically muscle memory at this point. It would take an off-season to unlearn/learn something new.

I'd really like to hear some of the Central/South American futbol announcers call a hockey game. They make soccer sound so interesting (I don't understand a word of the broadcast).

I'm wondering if the Wild broadcast was on AFN (Armed Forces Network) today. He takes his homerism and goal calls down a notch when it is.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Shame. I like the guy, hope he recovers soon.

I even like his SCOOOOOORRRREEEEEESS!!! call :D

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
I don't think he can change his goal call. It's his signature on the broadcast. Plus he'd have to train himself to do something else. The SCOOOORRREEESSS!!! call is basically muscle memory at this point. It would take an off-season to unlearn/learn something new.

I'd really like to hear some of the Central/South American futbol announcers call a hockey game. They make soccer sound so interesting (I don't understand a word of the broadcast).

I'm wondering if the Wild broadcast was on AFN (Armed Forces Network) today. He takes his homerism and goal calls down a notch when it is.

Antero Mertaranta. You're welcome.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot

I don't even feel like "homerism" is his problem. Other announcers are way worse. The Boston guys, for instance; Lapanta may be annoying, but those ****heads do nothing but complain and make childish insults about the opposing team for 3 straight periods. Thank the hockey gods we're only at risk of hearing them a couple times a year.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I saw the first two goals while I was out, and missed the 3rd goal driving home, so I didn't hear his calls last night, but against Boston they were great. Love the subtle goal call, wish he'd keep it.

Eye Floater

Feb 3, 2009
USA
The constant need to reference every single Minnesota connection in each and every game finally caught up to him, I'm guessing.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
Hasn't slowed down Pierre McGuire.

Doesn't mean it's enjoyable to listen to. In fact, using Pierre to justify those actions speaks volume AGAINST continuing to do it. :laugh:

I just don't get who that's for? Even my dad, and old-timey "we grow 'em" Minnesotan finds the Wild broadcasts grating because of the constant shoe-horning of the "one of us" angle.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Doesn't mean it's enjoyable to listen to. In fact, using Pierre to justify those actions speaks volume AGAINST continuing to do it. :laugh:

I just don't get who that's for? Even my dad, and old-timey "we grow 'em" Minnesotan finds the Wild broadcasts grating because of the constant shoe-horning of the "one of us" angle.

I get sick of hearing where any of the players played their Jr/HS/College hockey. Really gets old when they player is 30+. It interrupts the flow of the play by play a lot of times. I can see it worth mentioning for goals, or stoppages when they are showing a replay of something good.

"XYZ city's own, or former XYZ college player picks up an assist on the goal." Sounds more natural and not forced. But they've spent more time talking about some players background than the see ToI during a period.

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
Two players get into a fight/scrum: THAT'S UNIVERSITY OF DENVER VS COLGATE UNIVERSITY RIGHT THERE, REALLY SOLID STUFF.

Replace universities with any single institution/junior team/high school team in North America, and you have your average Pierre McGuire broadcast. I'd take Tony LaP any day.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
Two players get into a fight/scrum: THAT'S UNIVERSITY OF DENVER VS COLGATE UNIVERSITY RIGHT THERE, REALLY SOLID STUFF.

Replace universities with any single institution/junior team/high school team in North America, and you have your average Pierre McGuire broadcast. I'd take Tony LaP any day.

But our guys do that, too, if there's a Minnesota connection.

Which, to me, just comes across as being lazy. At least Pierre can say he has a weird, encyclopedic knowledge of that stuff. Our guys just jam it down everyone's throats when there's a Minnesotan on the ice, or someone who played in the WCHA, or went to Shattuck, etc...

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I don't mind LaPanta. He's not great, but he's a substantial upgrade over Terhar. He's at the very least a competent, serviceable play by play guy.

Greenlay on the other hand makes me want to bang my head against a wall. I'm willing to bet if we replaced him with someone competent the complaints about LaPanta would almost disappear because of how much Greenlay drags the whole telecast down.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I don't mind LaPanta. He's not great, but he's a substantial upgrade over Terhar. He's at the very least a competent, serviceable play by play guy.

Greenlay on the other hand makes me want to bang my head against a wall. I'm willing to bet if we replaced him with someone competent the complaints about LaPanta would almost disappear because of how much Greenlay drags the whole telecast down.

Our guys on TV are complete amateurs compared to the Blues crew.

LaPanta complaints wouldn't go away, because he has a goal call that is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad