Player Discussion: Anthony Cirelli

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
HUGE OVERPAYMENT. Another JBB mistake. JBB looking like ass

I think honestly there might be a fit there. Cirelli gets to play the vet role and grow more offensively, and Tampa could potentially get some depth anywhere on the roster. The funny thing here is I think a really good bottom six fit for Tampa would be Girgensons but I don't want him at Jeannot money. I wouldn't mind one of Benson/Byram/Greenway either, but i'm not exactly sure what the framework for a deal would look like here.
We're not getting Byram...LOL. Not a chance for Cirelli. None. Zero

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Cirelli is only slightly overpaid, and with the cap going up, it will look even less.so in the coming years. He's a solid 2C and could still reach another level offensively I think. Only a solid top 4 dman would be worth discussing in any potential trade involving Cirelli, but he's realistically not going anywhere.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I love Rocco but I too think it’s time to move on. Especially now when he’s still movable (NTC kicks in after next season). We have convinced ourselves all season that his true value lies in his defensive capabilities come playoff time.

But he didn’t shut down anybody. 2 assists and a team worst -6 in 5 games. At that cap hit ($6.25M through 2031) he doesn’t provide enough for a team with serious cap issues like us. There are enough 20 goal scorers available in free agency that can be had for less.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I love Rocco but I too think it’s time to move on. Especially now when he’s still movable (NTC kicks in after next season). We have convinced ourselves all season that his true value lies in his defensive capabilities come playoff time.

But he didn’t shut down anybody. 2 assists and a team worst -6 in 5 games. At that cap hit ($6.25M through 2031) he doesn’t provide enough for a team with serious cap issues like us. There are enough 20 goal scorers available in free agency that can be had for less.
And yet he was arguably one of their best forwards last year in the playoffs. He also improved in goal scoring this year and while there may be 20 goal scorers that could be had for less, there aren't many who also usually do that and play the kind of defense he normally does. If JBB trades him, it either needs to be part of a deal for a top 4 RD with term, or for picks/prospects that will then be quickly flipped for one. Trading him also opens up another hole in the top 6, so now the team has to find that player as well.

Reactions: DFC

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

Sure and I’m not confident JBB knows how to get anyone in free agency lol see Conor Sheary lol and trade see Tanner Jeannot

Reactions: Stelio Kontos

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
And yet he was arguably one of their best forwards last year in the playoffs. He also improved in goal scoring this year and while there may be 20 goal scorers that could be had for less, there aren't many who also usually do that and play the kind of defense he normally does. If JBB trades him, it either needs to be part of a deal for a top 4 RD with term, or for picks/prospects that will then be quickly flipped for one. Trading him also opens up another hole in the top 6, so now the team has to find that player as well.
I'm not even opposed to trading him. But the idea we would be better without him or his contract seems a little crazy to me. There are just no obvious answers here. We are trying to figure out a way to make 8 = 18.

Reactions: Stelio Kontos

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I'm not even opposed to trading him. But the idea we would be better without him or his contract seems a little crazy to me. There are just no obvious answers here. We are trying to figure out a way to make 8 = 18.
It all depends on how team friendly Stamkos is willing to be on his deal. Trading Sheary, Jeannot and Perbix creates ~17.5 million in space, so as long as Stamkos will take a reasonable number for the team, there is enough to add some depth and make the roster work without trading Cirelli. If Stamkos takes 6.5-7, they can then use around 7 between a F and a dman, then use the remaining 3.5-4 on lesser contracts. There will be at least one "deficiency" perhaps somewhere in the lineup(this likely can't be avoided), but given the stats offensively/defensively, I'd rather have the perceived hole be on the 3rd or 4th line rather than on defense.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Yeah I agree, I think he's the one that has to go. Paul can fill the roll well. I rather use that money on a good top 4 D. We had it before on McDonagh and the difference from that defense to our current defense is night and day

Reactions: Stammertime91

aylib

Mods are lame
Mar 26, 2002
St. Pete, FL
Overpaid. He's not worth DOUBLE the average. Sorry. Another JBB flub.
He might be; it’s not to the degree where it’s handicapping this team. The 1.5 mil you’d hypothetically save wouldnt address much while taking away what he brings.
He has a valuable skill set; in his full 5 seasons he has twice been in top 5 selke nomnees and he might be near that again this year.
I think 15 of his 20 goals were at even strength, an area that is our clear weakness.

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Yeah I agree, I think he's the one that has to go. Paul can fill the roll well. I rather use that money on a good top 4 D. We had it before on McDonagh and the difference from that defense to our current defense is night and day

The difference in confidence of having a stacked top-4 D is night and day, rolling out 2 pairs that can cover 80% of the game is a game changer. Too many soft and inexperienced players on the backend right now getting us killed.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad