Post-Game Talk: Another week, another embarrassing loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
But like i said when i edited my message, if liljegren seitch from parise to mayfield, he need to cut the passing lane in front of the net...not the shot from no angle
We can go round and round

Liljegren should straight away attack mayfield there straight at him

Tavares and mccabe need to talk.. mccabe turns the wrong way

Marners like im good

I blame them all

Reactions: Al14

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
TB has also won twice as many cups as we've won playoff rounds in the last 3 years.

They have more then deserved and earned the benefit of the doubt in the regular season because they've proven that they can kick it up a notch in the playoffs.
Buffalo has so twice as many Cups as we've win playoff round in the last three years.

Two times zero is zero.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

Marners like im good

I blame them all

Yes, Liljegren should straight away attack to mayfield... yes but he didn't and mccabe/jt have to react to how liljegren played it. He tried to do everything on the ice but at the end, he did absolutly nothing outside of creating a huge confusion without giving any time to his teammate to ajust at him, thats where the problem is...

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
1st came off a faceoff, tavares didn't have to follow mayfield, his man came off the faceoff was the guy at blue lone and it was a clear 2v2 in front of the net... tavares did his job, liljegren took a poor decision and both of lilly and mccabe became useless because of it

Lilly had to know he had someone behind him unstead of taking all the time of the world to make a play. This goal happened because he was slow to make decision. He had abaolutly no good reason to lose the puck that way when youre the last guy behind.
That's an interesting was of looking at it.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
But thats what i am saying.. the two veterans watch the kid go.. they need to clean up

I agree with liljegren part.. but you need to recover by talking to each other
I'm not sure if he's more intent on blaming Liljegren or exonerating JT. Either way it doesn't make much sense.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I'm not sure if he's more intent on blaming Liljegren or exonerating JT. Either way it doesn't make much sense.

I think if liljegren just trying to cut the pass unstead of blocking the shot from a guy in really bad position for shooting, this goal never happened

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Yeah fair enough.. sometimes you can point to ONE player and say.. you made that goal happen bad you

Most of the time there are 2 or more opportunities to adjust and potentially recover

I watch vancouver.. and before tocchet nobody communicated and a player would make a mistake, and play play play no adjustments its a save or goal.. now they are communicating and you actually see adjustments

It is like toronto is suffering the opposite.. missing adjustments

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I think if liljegren just trying to cut the pass unstead of blocking the shot from a guy in really bad position for shooting, this goal never happened
You dont blame one player on that goal - you show them the three of them not recovering

In game you remind liljegren and mcxabe to talk to each other if there is a switch

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
We have like 2 million in players overpaid... people need to stop complaining about this, it is offset by fair and good signings. Every team has overpaid players.

Pretty sure Sandin came out and said part of the reason for staying home longer was someone in his family had cancer.
Overpaying elite/star players is rarely a problem. It’s signing stiffs like Clarkson or players like past prime Marleau that truly handcuffs a team.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Three things were true last round 1.

Point was less than 100%

Kucherov was less than 100%

Muzzin shut everything in his path down.

All of these are false this season (Kuch and Point back to elite is especially scary) yet everyone is so cocky we are favorites in round 1. I truly believe we have regressed to under dogs.

Hot take: out of the 4 teams (Boston Tampa Toronto and probably Rangers) battling to get into the cup finals from the east, Leafs have 4th best odds. That's just sad. Literally handed a cheat code core in 2018 and we still don't stand out among the best.
Are those your odds? I just saw one from Draft Kings where Toronto was just behind Boston,Colorado and Carolina.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Look at the replay, mccabe tried to recover it when he saw liljegren also jumping on mayfield but didn't have the time... if liljegren just play his position unstead of being over agressive on a guy who was not dangerous at all.. Mccabe would have time to cover parise

Between the moment mccabe who was going on mayfield saw liljegren changing his mind and chase mayfield+ mccabe changing of direction and trying to cover parise, its 1/2 second.

So for you in 1/2 second mccabe and tavares should had time to understand whats liljegren had been doing and skate to parise and cover him?

Thats why im was telling lily should have cut passing lane unstead of trying to avoid a shoot to give time to his teammate to ajust!!!

Last edited:

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

Marners like im good

I blame them all
Attack him, like with his stick or fists? Lol

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Look at the replay, mccabe tried to recover it when he saw liljegren also jumping on mayfield but didn't have the time... if liljegren just play his position unstead of being over agressive on a guy who was not dangerous at all.. Mccabe would have time to cover parise

Between the moment mccabe who was going on mayfield saw liljegren changing his mind and chase mayfield+ mccabe changing of direction and trying to cover parise, its 1/2 second.

So for you in 1/2 second mccabe and tavares should had time to understand whats liljegren had been doing and skate to parise and cover him?

Thats why im was telling lily should have cut passing lane unstead of trying to avoid a shoot to give time to his teammate to ajust!!!
I watched it once before.. and you are right there isnt enough time after i watched it a few more times..

Now i blame liljegren and mccabe not talking earlier, and i dont really like mccabe wandering into the middle too

Liljegren might assume the pass is covered behind him and takes away a shot.. who knows

But liljegren enda up on his side and mccabe wanders off of his

Attack him, like with his stick or fists? Lol
Words.. piercing hateful words

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I watched it once before.. and you are right there isnt enough time after i watched it a few more times..

Now i blame liljegren and mccabe not talking earlier, and i dont really like mccabe wandering into the middle too

Liljegren might assume the pass is covered behind him and takes away a shot.. who knows

How can he assume his player will be covering in 1/2 second... but at the end he just probably tought mayfield was most dangerous than what he was in reality and i can live with it. At full speed its kind of thing happening...

Of 3 goal against him, its probably the only one i can easily accept...

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Tavares and his 11 AAV behind needs to get engaged.

Tavares is like 40th in terms of ppg among all skaters in the league; but his cap hit is among top 5 if am not mistaken
In terms of even strength production Tavares is not even in the top 50 players for all skaters

Tavares' stats are propped up by PP points (he is 8th in the league in terms of PP points production).

For 11 AAV player we need more from Tavares
Honestly, what more do you think he is really capable of?

Reactions: Ciao and authentic

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Overpaying elite/star players is rarely a problem. It’s signing stiffs like Clarkson or players like past prime Marleau that truly handcuffs a team.
Or being forced to sign stiffs like Clarkson or Marleau because you have no money to sign better players because you overpaid a (not quite) elite player.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
and if he walks for nothing?
He won't walk but management has to show some spine this time around. It all starts with Willie because if he even make noise about close to Pastrnak money this time around he needs to be moved. The message sent with top of the market deals is that you need to push for top dollar as long as you can and the club will ultimately open its wallet as wide as necessary. Kaprizov is better and he is at $9M.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

But liljegren enda up on his side and mccabe wanders off of his

That should terrify him

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
McCabe is so bad. I don't know what you guys see in him. He causes an odd man rush almost every game. Just another Holl in the sense he's playing too high of a role. I understand if he's given importance on teams like the sabres and hawks, but on a top 5 team that needed a D upgrade for how long now? Disgrace

I'd prefer (As in I liked) and like the Boosh addition way better (excluding how they used him against tampa) from last season if they wanted sand paper, and he comes cheaper. The assets spent on McCabe could have been used for something else / someone better.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
You could just buy out Marleau in his last year and mss the playoffs! :p

Rubyblue

Apr 13, 2021
Leafs still not playoff ready. Core is very talented but take a lot of abuse by every team they play. I guess it'll take one of them to speak up to management to f...kin do something about that. Ottawa & Islanders ran at them all night. We do next to nothing to answer.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
There is a psychological aspect to this sport and we've seen our guys wilt in games that have some extra spice to them. Every playoff game will have that extra spice, and I think that's what frightens a lot of us.

It doesn't help that the team has played some of it's worst hockey in a while since the TDL moves were made.
That's what's so gross about losses like this. I rarely post reactively in random regular seasons losses/GDTs but there's been several completely shameful ones in the back half of this season.

The scoreline is not the problem. Goes deeper than that and I feel like I post about this monthly. Pretty confident that I know what a real cup team looks like, acts like, etc. and I don't see it consistently enough in this group. They need to get embarrassed to respond properly and then it fades again, but they often times just get by on skill so the record masks it. Hate to say it but it's the definition of pretender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad