HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Anniversary of the David Clarkson trade!

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
I was driving and heard it on the radio. Got an instant case of Bell's Palsy. Took months to recover.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
In your face player who had scored 30 goals and 15 goals (in 48 games) the previous years? Yeah, exactly what the Leafs needed for that second line at the time. At least on paper.

And then we all know what happened.

On paper his stats were terrible.

He had one fluke season, and was a marginal bottom 6 before that.

Also, he got a lot of goals playing 1st unit power play- it should have been clear to Leafs brass that he wouldn't be able to usurp JVR or Kessel there.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Anyone who knew the context around his one season (1.5 I guess) anomaly knew that is what it was.. there is no way they were even getting a regular 20 goal scorer in this deal..

That's pretty easy to say in hindsight. If you predicted it at the time, good on you - you were right.

However, after 2 seasons (one shortened) of that level of production, the guy was getting paid. He was probably the most sought after winger that offseason.

Point I'm trying to make is that the Clarkson of the two seasons prior to when the Leafs signed him was a player they needed. That's why, at the time, I wanted Clarkson - although not for 7 years...

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
On paper his stats were terrible.

He had one fluke season, and was a marginal bottom 6 before that.

Also, he got a lot of goals playing 1st unit power play- it should have been clear to Leafs brass that he wouldn't be able to usurp JVR or Kessel there.

2 fluke seasons.

Hard to say they were flukes when you don't have hindsight, though.

I don't know that they were even expecting thirty goals. Leafs needed a crash and bang player for the (at the time) dynamic Lupul/Kadri combo. Hence they dipped into free agency.

Again, I'm not saying it wasn't a mistake for that monster contract (because it obviously was), but let's not act like Nonis was COMPLETELY out of his mind. He was trying to address a need.

Word had it that Clarkson took less money to play with the Leafs, even. Edmonton had apparently offered 6 mil a year.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
2 fluke seasons.

Hard to say they were flukes when you don't have hindsight, though.

I don't know that they were even expecting thirty goals. Leafs needed a crash and bang player for the (at the time) dynamic Lupul/Kadri combo. Hence they dipped into free agency.

Again, I'm not saying it wasn't a mistake for that monster contract (because it obviously was), but let's not act like Nonis was COMPLETELY out of his mind. He was trying to address a need.

You have his career numbers prior to that. He was never a goal scorer. He cleaned up being the Devils garbage man on the power play for 1.5 seasons. Given his age and overall career numbers I'd say there were considerable warning signs about him.heck, he wasnt even drafted!

I'd grant you that a power forward was a need of the team at the time - but giving a guy who was maybe worth 2-2.5 million a buyout proof retirement deal was insanity by Nonis.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
You have his career numbers prior to that. He was never a goal scorer. He cleaned up being the Devils garbage man on the power play for 1.5 seasons. Given his age and overall career numbers I'd say there were considerable warning signs about him.heck, he wasnt even drafted!

I'd grant you that a power forward was a need of the team at the time - but giving a guy who was maybe worth 2-2.5 million a buyout proof retirement deal was insanity by Nonis.

I'll give you the buyout-proof format was mind-bogglingly stupid, although that may have worked out better in the end for us (they may have taken the buyout option before finding the Horton deal).

And yeah, there were warning signs, but again at the time you're talking 2 previous seasons of great production and a guy going UFA.

2-2.5 million is what he ended up being worth (pushing it, but close). He was understandably worth far more on the UFA market after his previous two seasons.

He ended up being yet another fluke on a team of flukes, but I feel like we're letting hindsight make us come down to hard on Nonis....not that he doesn't deserve a lot of criticism, mind you.

WHLfollower

Sep 16, 2013
I was at school, university. I was on my phone to check on any recent trades. The funny part I was on the toilet taking a .... Then I saw that trade, all I have to say, I .... Myself.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
I was in my residence room when I got the update on my phone. I ran to the door and yelled "we traded Clarkson" at the top of my lungs. In about five seconds flat, about ten Leafs fans flooded into my room and started jumping up and down and embracing. Great memories.

Borschevsky

Aug 9, 2005
We had Devils fans coming in here prior to signing him, telling us we will regret it despite his production in his "fluke" seasons. Looks like they knew better than Nonis.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I was at work and excitedly told my co-worker who didn't really understand what I was so happy about.

What a fantastic news that was though. I was firmly resigned to the fact that we'd be forced to endure David Clarkson for the next 5 years. The fact that he's no longer on the team is a minor miracle.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
One year ago today, David Clarkson was traded for Nathan Horton.

Where were you when the trade went down?
I remember watching TSN and they flashed breaking news across the screen, then said the words Toronto Maple Leafs trade. I was thinking maybe it was Dion Phaneuf and was shocked beyond belief when they said David Clarkson was traded.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
I was just waking up from a nap and checked that my phone was blowing up from notifications. From my my friends "OMFG" and the sports apps I have "BREAKING". I was getting excited, but I was cautious knowing Nonis was still GM. When I finally found out about the Clarkson trade, I was just frozen for minutes. I couldn't believe our good fortune. Man, what an insane day that was.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
It's either him or the inanimate carbon rod that has kept Robidas out all season.

We all know who wins this:

latest

Leaf of the Mind

BABS WAS BOB
Feb 6, 2015
The thing that irked me about it was how much of a sure thing it was that they were going after this guy. Even though most people knew that it was a poor free agent crop, the whole Leiweke shakeup either forced Nonis into showing he was doing something, or it was ordered from above. We know that Burke couldn't work with his superiors, so it's safe to assume Nonis was a bit more pliant.
The trade to get rid of him was an impressive piece of work, but it was kind of like Nonis having to clean up after himself after soiling the carpet.

It should be a lesson for future signings *cough Stamkos*. Can't blame Clarkson for signing a stupidly big offer, it seems a lot of people turn more on the players personally than on the suits who made the offer, to the point of just heaping all sorts of abuse on them.

Steven1562

May 13, 2013
I was jumping up and down when trade went down. So glad we didn't have to see 6 more years of Wendel Clarkson. :laugh: Thank You Columbus :handclap:

Puzzles

nice sauce
Jun 22, 2012
Montreal
Just like others, I totally blacked out for a few minutes and had to take a double take at twitter. I think I celebrated with a white russian.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The thing that irked me about it was how much of a sure thing it was that they were going after this guy. Even though most people knew that it was a poor free agent crop, the whole Leiweke shakeup either forced Nonis into showing he was doing something, or it was ordered from above. We know that Burke couldn't work with his superiors, so it's safe to assume Nonis was a bit more pliant.
The trade to get rid of him was an impressive piece of work, but it was kind of like Nonis having to clean up after himself after soiling the carpet.

It should be a lesson for future signings *cough Stamkos*. Can't blame Clarkson for signing a stupidly big offer, it seems a lot of people turn more on the players personally than on the suits who made the offer, to the point of just heaping all sorts of abuse on them.
What about the reports that Edmonton was offering him more money than Toronto was and he still choose the Leafs. I agree that it was a bad signing, however my point is there was at least one team that wanted Clarkson even more and Toronto was not the only team willing to pay him along with giving him a 7 year contract.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
Thing was, at the time, Clarkson was exactly the type of player we needed. Sure, most people thought we overpaid, but I don't think even his biggest detractor expected him to be THIS bad.

I did, I hated this signing. I watched him here in New Jersey a lot and the guy couldn't even skate. The Clarkson falling down drinking game was long around before he came to Toronto.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
LOL I remember a certain poster saying how well Clarkson would do in Columbus because Toronto never gave him opportunities to succeed :laugh:

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
We had Devils fans coming in here prior to signing him, telling us we will regret it despite his production in his "fluke" seasons. Looks like they knew better than Nonis.

Anyone who took some time to look at the underlying stats of Clarkson was utterly terrified.

The smarter posters on this board knew how bad the signing was right when it was done.

Leaf of the Mind

BABS WAS BOB
Feb 6, 2015
What about the reports that Edmonton was offering him more money than Toronto was and he still choose the Leafs. I agree that it was a bad signing, however my point is there was at least one team that wanted Clarkson even more and Toronto was not the only team willing to pay him along with giving him a 7 year contract.

The fact they were neck and neck with that management group on this should have been a HUGE red flag. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad