Tribute Anna and Olivia Appreciation thread

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
It's pretty obvious Melnyk knew he didn't have long to live even after the surgery so he pinched his pennies to make sure his daughters would be as well off as possible and get the most money from a sale of the team.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I don't disagree, but in this market given everything we've dealt with, it's become an awfully low bar to clear to be appreciated as an owner and they've cleared it, and then some.
I wonder if the team actually earned more (or lost less) money this year than the past few under Euge, even though the daughters allowed the team to spend more money.

Reactions: bert

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
It's better because he's gone, not because they actually did anything.

so the franchise has been run…. Exactly the same way, as their father did?

It’s clear to everyone else that they, on good advice, set things up to operate in way to allow the GM to make choices and decisions that their father would have the final say on.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I don't disagree, but in this market given everything we've dealt with, it's become an awfully low bar to clear to be appreciated as an owner and they've cleared it, and then some.

I appreciate the daughters for selling and the Melnyck’s aren’t going to haunt this city any more.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
so the franchise has been run…. Exactly the same way, as their father did?

It’s clear to everyone else that they, on good advice, set things up to operate in way to allow the GM to make choices and decisions that their father would have the final say on.
The franchise isn't being run the same, and nobody from the organization has given any indication of what the daughters have actually done, which is likely just staying out of the way and letting the hockey people do their jobs.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
I mean, there's literally articles out there that talk about the franchise operations being night and day compared to when Euge was in charge - that people don't feel like they need to walk on eggshells and that there was a clear shift towards rebuilding the relationship with the community and the alumni.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
The franchise isn't being run the same, and nobody from the organization has given any indication of what the daughters have actually done, which is likely just staying out of the way and letting the hockey people do their jobs.

And, in your opinion, as the Owners they had no say in the direction the team was handled since the passing of their father?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
So we are appreciating them to be daughters of the Owner? and managing their own family assets?

they Became the Owners, after their father passed…. Perhaps you heard about it.

They made the decision to have the Franchise operated since then.

If you do not like how the franchise has been run, since they took over, as owners, then by all means feel free to dump on them.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
And, in your opinion, as the Owners they had no say in the direction the team was handled since the passing of their father?
Since you love playing devil's advocate, what have they done specifically to earn your appreciation? Because all they have said publically is that they want to sell the team.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Since you love playing devil's advocate, what have they done specifically to earn your appreciation? Because all they have said publically is that they want to sell the team.
Well LeBlanc talked about some of the changes they made behind the scenes upon taking over, and how they worked to grow and inclusiveness and repair the image of the team in the community. That’s not exactly nothing.

I’m not sure they have said anything directly to the media in regards to the sale or ownership, which seems fine to me since everything from their end seems to be rolling smoothly.

I’m not sure why we have to be so stingy with appreciation, but full on philanthropists with criticism and cynicism.

Reactions: Snowwy

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I mean, there's literally articles out there that talk about the franchise operations being night and day compared to when Euge was in charge - that people don't feel like they need to walk on eggshells and that there was a clear shift towards rebuilding the relationship with the community and the alumni.
Who's the president?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
After his operation he went to a whole new level of cheapskate. We all believed he was doing it to keep his wealth intact. In reality he was doing this to set his family up. I hope this was the case and would love for Ian Mendes to look into this angle and see if there is any truth to it. When the sale goes.through would be.a good time to do we digging.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
After his operation he went to a whole new level of cheapskate. We all believed he was doing it to keep his wealth intact. In reality he was doing this to set his family up. I hope this was the case and would love for Ian Mendes to look into this angle and see if there is any truth to it. When the sale goes.through would be.a good time to do we digging.
Pretty sure the goal was to stockpile money to spend coming out of the rebuild.

We spent a lot of money this last season so it would seem that there has been at least some follow through on the original plan.

Reactions: aragorn

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

We spent a lot of money this last season so it would seem that there has been at least some follow through on the original plan.
The rebuild coensided perfectly with his decline in health. He knew his life expectancy was no more than 5 or so years. He turned everyone against him so it would be easy to gut the team. All the players, media, local government hated him. It's just an opinion. His daughters were never going to run team even though he said he had no intentions of selling and that it would remain on his family. It just makes sense now.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

Considering there's no track record of spending, this is some wide-eyed optimism. I respect it, don't get me wrong, but I don't personally believe it to be founded on much else.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Considering there's no track record of spending, this is some wide-eyed optimism. I respect it, don't get me wrong, but I don't personally believe it to be founded on much else.
10 million dollar bump in salary. Guess you missed all the signings and trades the last year.

Reactions: JD1

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It was his FYOUS plan to save then spend I believe. I’m not really arguing against anything, just pointing out that we did actually spend a wack of money this last season.

That was post Melnyk. They were referring to during his tenure.
I was referring to this last season.

Reactions: JD1

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Ahh ok, thanks
Then, we were a cap team for awhile when it came in. Sens were probably first team that had to get rid of players due to cap.
Course not recently.
Well, I should say that's how I read their comment, but could be wrong.

I feel like they were in great shape for a long time and like you say, actually lost players due to the cap early on. The spending issues didn't creep in until well in to Melnyk's tenure and only felt like it handicapped the team for some of the Karlsson years.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Well, I should say that's how I read their comment, but could be wrong.

I feel like they were in great shape for a long time and like you say, actually lost players due to the cap early on. The spending issues didn't creep in until well in to Melnyk's tenure and only felt like it handicapped the team for some of the Karlsson years.
No doubt about that!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad