Anger and Frustration Spill Over Into Rant

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
I want to start by expressing I have been a Senators fan for a long time; I started back during Alfy's Calder year. I mention this to preface the fact that I have seen this team during the best of times and the worst of times.

Despite peaks and crashes, I have always supported the team and was proud to be a fan. I would get angry, dislike (or outright hate) some players, get pissed off, annoyed, sad, and every other type of emotion one could experience during those very bad or heartbreaking seasons.

During all that time though, I never was embarrassed to be a Senators fan. That has all changed this season. I never thought I would see the day that I pass on putting on one of my Sens hoodies, hats, or jackets before leaving the house, or throwing on a Sens shirt for the day.

But this iteration of the Ottawa Senators is so dysfunctional, so poorly managed, and so poorly led that I can't even stomach throwing one of these on and wearing it. My house is littered with tasteful Senators decor, and I get disgusted sometimes just walking through my house.

On paper this is one of the most talented Senators teams the franchise has ever assembled. On the ice it is an absolute embarrassment. What makes this season so much different for me in accepting the results, is an honest lack of understanding why. There are some obvious answers that immediately come out - but I reject those answers as being to coincidence. Can we really believe this many guys are just having "bad years?" It defies logic.

This franchise has a deep and cancerous tumor that needs to be rooted out. As much as I disliked Bryan Murray, I feel like he was the one holding everything together and keeping this systematic rot bottled up. With his passing, this has all bubbled over and its spilling out; and we're seeing the results.

I struggle to find someone to blame for this. Is it one person? Is it a lot of people?

Do I blame Melnyk for not being able to financially support the team as he promised and as a good hockey owner would? Do I blame him for meddling too much in hockey operations and driving away key components that would make this franchise a success instead of a laughing stock?

Do I blame Dorion for making the roster decisions he has made? Should he be blamed for letting Boucher dictate the guys the Senators keep and go after to sign? But how can one believe that the loss of Neil, Methot, Kelly, and Stalberg really could sink this team so low after the success of last year? How could one believe that a swap of Turris for Duschene would be the reason for such a meteoric fall in the standings? Logically these personnel choices make sense (for the sake of on ice talent, not asset management).

Do I blame Karlsson for an utter and total lack of leadership? I know Alfredsson's skates are tough to fill, but I haven't seen this team so leaderless perhaps ever. During the lowest points of other seasons you could visibly see Alfredsson trying to set an example on the ice. He showed leadership, he showed emotion. He took responsibility for things. He spoke to the media with care and the right words. He held closed door meetings and held players responsible. Karlsson does none of this. When we need him most he seems to have disappeared and is having perhaps the worst season of his career, and all he seems to have anything to say is about his contract and what he is worth.

He has taken no responsibility, and he as shown zero leadership on the ice. It begs the question if he even wants to be here. And if not, why? Is it ownership? Is it coaching? Is it the city? If he doesn't want to be here why do we want to keep him? Should we rebuild the franchise around his value?

Do I blame Boucher for playing a system that handcuffs our teams offensive potential, and stifles creativity for some of our most creative and gifted offensive talents? Are the players responsible for listening to the coach and playing his system, or is the coach responsible for designing a system that best suits the players abilities? Is Boucher's system just junk? Has the rest of the league figured it out? Why does he continue to seem optimistic and show no concern for the pitiful on ice performance night in and night out?

Do I blame the goaltending? Could it really be that one of the best tandems in the NHL last year have become arguably the worst this year? What would cause such a thing? There were no major changes to their life, offseason surgeries, new equipment, new coaches, or any other significant changes whatsoever that you could point to and say "ahhh thats what happened." Yet night in and night out they leak pucks into their net like a sieve.

There are so many questions, and so few answers - it is heartbreaking. I am do disgusted with the state of this franchise, I don't even know how to begin to offer suggestions to fix it. There are ZERO encouraging signs that things are going to get better, only worse. With depleted draft picks, albatross salaries, a checked out superstar captain, a broken play-style, an inept GM, and to top it all off a meddling owner who can't afford to provide the capital an NHL franchise needs to be successful.

One might take solace in the fact that we have guys like White, Chabot, Chlapik, and Brown to look forward to, but chance can we hope that these players will succeed on a franchise as ruinous as ours?

TL;DR - A longtime fan who has been through the good and the bad, but never seen things so bad before. Feels like there is no hope in near future, and the franchise is f***ed. Totally depressed about it, and embarrassed to be a Sens fan right now.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
White, Chabot, Brown, Chlapik, Jaros, Batherson, Formenton and the list goes on.

I don't mean to minimize your feelings but you are 100% wrong that there is no hope in the near future.

Yes this season is probably one of the worst seasons we've had since 1997 but let's not get carried away. Colorado was a disaster of historical proportions last year, and they managed to turn it around. Why can't we?

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
White, Chabot, Brown, Chlapik, Jaros, Batherson, Formenton and the list goes on.

I don't mean to minimize your feelings but you are 100% wrong that there is no hope in the near future.

Yes this season is probably one of the worst seasons we've had since 1997 but let's not get carried away. Colorado was a disaster of historical proportions last year, and they managed to turn it around. Why can't we?

Need to trade Duchene

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
The lack of answers is frustrating. It almost feels like after the season is over someone will spill the beans and say what was rotten about the whole thing.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I feel your pain. I'm ditching the NHL/SuperSports package early for the first time in my life. I'd rather have my $34/month than watch this shit show night in night out. It would be one thing if it seemed like there was progress or adjustments, but I still see the same garbage goaltending and coaching that refuses to adjust. The owner being a douche only sours the taste even more.

That said, I will still read media and follow them because they have a chance to do a bit of a re-tool here and hopefully draft a top 5 talent.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
The lack of answers is frustrating. It almost feels like after the season is over someone will spill the beans and say what was rotten about the whole thing.

If there are issues in the locker room you'll never get answers, we still don't know why Heatley wanted out for sure.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
If Duchene was the reason Colorado had that bad a season, it says a lot more about everybody else than it does about Duchene.

Yea it says a lot about everybody.

Everybody was tired of Matt Duchene and how he wanted to leave instead of being part of the solution, which clearly they have found as of today.

Now, will the Duchesse want to be part of the solution in Ottawa? We shall see in the next episode of "I'm dying for a chance to play in these meaningful games"

Reactions: BuckyDornster

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Yea it says a lot about everybody.

Everybody was tired of Matt Duchene and how he wanted to leave instead of being part of the solution, which clearly they have found as of today.

Now, will the Duchesse want to be part of the solution in Ottawa? We shall see in the next episode of "I'm dying for a chance to play in these meaningful games"
I thought I remember him wanting to stay? Wasnt he constantly in trade rumors? It probably took a toll on him and he just wanted it to be over with.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Murray held everything together for the wrong reasons. This team was treading mediocrity for too long.

This. Murray was basically that govt. guy that is loved by everyone but ultimately is a loser, knows he's a loser, but everyone has his back because he's a lovable loser. He was too in love with local guys like Donovan, Boro, Carkner, these skill-less guys that would be great when last Murray came close, in the late 90's early 2000's.

Alfie is a leader and seen as one now, but let's not forget those series with very few points against the Leafs, turning it over to the Sabres. It took a threat to trade him for him to grow up into the one we love.
The team needs a complete cleanup. We need a young, smart man who will build with speed, speed, speed and rid of these crap grinders we have an overabundance of. We need an experienced coach (Q might be available if the 'Hawks clear him if they miss) but more than all of that? More than anything?

We need to be mean, we need to be heartless and we need to get a plan, a long-term one and stick to it. Clear out or run out of town anyone that can't skate like his ass is on fire and that can't handle the puck and move the puck. No loyalty unless you fit that descriptor. Then, in 3-5 years you have a team of mid to late 20 year olds and win. And yeah, I've had seasons on and off and I'm going back to single games after this year.

GIVE ME A DAMNED REBUILD AND DO IT RIGHT.
We can take it. We took close to 20 years of mediocrity (5 good seasons out of 25) so we'll be there if there is a plan.

Reactions: albator71

Nosswor

Jun 24, 2016
This fanbase is so overly optimistic on our prospects, nice to hear that someone else isn't complacent in what is currently happening to the team.
Agreed. Whilst I think that we have some decent prospects, I think the eventual yield will be worse than a lot of people (maybe even management as well) are banking on.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
GIVE ME A DAMNED REBUILD AND DO IT RIGHT.
We can take it. We took close to 20 years of mediocrity (5 good seasons out of 25) so we'll be there if there is a plan.

I'd say they've had more than 5 good seasons. 99-07 was pretty great.

Overall, it starts with Melnyk, then Dorion, then the coach.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Personally, I think the problems are mostly with Melynk. Pretty much every player who has left the organization has said the same thing "I want to win." The NHL is the best league in the world, filled with deep pockets. Either you put a ton of money into the team to run a first class organization, or you get stuck in mediocrity forever. You need to pay for the better coaches, GMs, scouts, office personnel, and players. Players know last spring was as close to winning as they'll ever get in a Sens uniform, and you see the leftover fatigue and resignation happening this year.

I'm still hoping Melynk cashes out as soon as he can get his big windfall with Lebreton.

Reactions: topshelf15

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
1) hold a practice.
2) make the guys practice in just their jock straps.
3) get a paintball gun
4) let melnyk take potshots from the owners box at anyone who stops moving their feet on the powerplay.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Texas rules. Any time the sens take a too many men penalty, Boucher has to coach the rest of the period with his dick hanging out.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Is that list of prospect any different than the lists we used to brag about?

Cowen, rundblad, wiercioch, lee, puempel, noesen, Lazar, etc

Until we have one of these guys actually start to tear up the NHL it's all hopes and dreams.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Agreed. Whilst I think that we have some decent prospects, I think the eventual yield will be worse than a lot of people (maybe even management as well) are banking on.

It's always been like this. We get excited listing our first and second round picks from the previous 3 years while every team can do the same.

Reactions: Neil Patrick Harris

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
5 good seasons out of 25? I’ve been a Sens fan since 93 and I remember way more than 5, I must have a horrible memory.
Only a handful of 'good' playoff seasons. Regular seasons were awesome back then, playoffs not so much minus the finals appearance. I still remember how electric the city was. Car flags everywhere. People on the streets waiving huge Senator flags. Everyone wearing red. Post game celebration downtown. The greet at the airport had thousands of fans. It was incredible

Last edited:
Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I feel your pain. It just isn't our year and I have made my peace with it. I will still watch and go to the games, because I am a fan through thick and thin, warts and all. Humongous , bubbling warts this year. You have to take the good with the bad, and last year was one of the most incredible playoff runs I have seen in person. So, yeah, sucks where we are this year.

Tampa, Winnipeg and other teams have shown the ability to put the bad stuff behind. I know {D will dump some vets at the TD and get some more youth and energy in the lineup. We will draft a very good player who should be able to help us. Karlsson, if he actually cares, should be roaring to go next year. A fresh start will do wonders.

But I gotta say that fans here have lost their minds over a 30 game stretch. We just have to find other aspects of the team, like watching White and Chabot, develop. Hopefully others that will give us hope for the future,

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad