Confirmed with Link: Andrey Pedan (700k/100k) and Alex Grenier (600k/125k) sign 1yr, 2 way extensions.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Good for depth. I like both players well enough, if they get claimed on waivers after pre season it's Bo big deal either.

Grenier is a depth player, so if he gets claimed, whatever....but if Pedan gets snagged it's the loss of another draft pick...a second-rounder for Vey and a third for Pedan....lost for basically nothing...and if Gaunce/Zalewski badly outplay Granlund in camp, they have another waiver problem.....acquiring waiver-eligible players for picks seems like a losing proposition imo.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Like these deals.

Still holding out a tiny sliver of hope Pedan can figure out the NHL game. C'mon, big guy. Just be better than Sbisa. It can't be that hard.

This is a good point....would be great if they could find another team for Sbisa and give his ice-time to Pedan.....but that would require Jimbo admitting that the contract he gave the pizza man was a colossal mistake.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Grenier is a depth player, so if he gets claimed, whatever....but if Pedan gets snagged it's the loss of another draft pick...a second-rounder for Vey and a third for Pedan....lost for basically nothing...and if Gaunce/Zalewski badly outplay Granlund in camp, they have another waiver problem.....acquiring waiver-eligible players for picks seems like a losing proposition imo.

You have to mention Sven B. as well not just failures and possible failures. But you are right waiver eligible players are less valuable than similar players as you have less options.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
k now im curious about Qualifying Offers. Pedan's nhl salary last year was 792k yet he signs for 700k.

is it an offer of more money in the AHL that gets a player to lower the nhl salary?

i'm guessing it was something similar with Grenier when his agent said they'd try to get a better deal. for example he was offered a minimum AHL salary on a two-way deal.

Qualifying offers are (generally, always? someone can correct me here if I'm wrong) two way deals. Yes, players leave more NHL money on the table to negotiate their own deal with better AHL compensation because they know that's where they will spend most of their season.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Both of these dudes are almost definitely getting waived, unless management waives Biega instead (which I would, but I'm not management).

Pedan has a chance to get claimed, seeing as he's a 6'4" 23 year old defenseman that some team might take a flyer on. If I had to guess, I'd think both would clear and play in Utica next year. Any predictions?

I'd expect them both to be waived and Utica bound. And i'd expect both to clear...barring an exceptional camp or something. Always the chance a despicable tanking organization that doesn't have any interest in winning will decide to spend an NHL roster spot on a guy...but you can't really worry about that. If they're not NHL calibre, you can't keep them around out of fear of what the bottom-feeders are going to do. Heck, even the Leafs who snagged Corrado only to not play him...may end up having to waive him themselves this season. Not really any better a player than he was in camp last year...with barely any actual playing experience of any kind last year.

Pedan is kinda is the same sort of spot as Corrado last year, in that he's waiver eligible, but at least as of last glance...clearly not ready for the NHL. And guys who really need more than anything, to play a lot of games.

Which, when you look at our blueline right now it's something like:

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Gudbranson
Sbisa-Larsen
Tryamkin

I think carrying 8D would be a good idea considering the questionmarks there and the way this team goes through blueline depth, plus the forwards we should have available to call-up (Gaunce especially). But that 8th D is simply not going to have games to play, unless/until there are injuries. It's going to be some heavy duty press box action. Biega would be good for this - much better than a younger player who badly needs more development time.

Plus, with recall waivers way in the rearview mirror...as long as you can slide Pedan down among the flood of other team's fringe/depth players...you can bring him right up if he's showing well and you run into injury trouble that 8 roster D can't cover. But the main thing, is that Pedan needs to be playing games and honing his craft if he's going to amount to much of anything. He's not likely to improve dramatically while lounging in the press box 8th on the depth chart. He'll also be able to help quite a bit in Utica while he continues to hopefully grow as a player.

Frankly, i wouldn't be surprised to see Biega waived as well. I wouldn't, personally...unless we exit camp with 14 forwards who clearly deserve to be there. 8D seems a better fit for this year to me though.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Qualifying offers are (generally, always? someone can correct me here if I'm wrong) two way deals.
Not really. Qualifying offers are often just a formality to retain a player's rights. There are rules as to whether a player can be given a two-way qualifying offer.

Grenier is a depth player, so if he gets claimed, whatever....but if Pedan gets snagged it's the loss of another draft pick...a second-rounder for Vey and a third for Pedan....lost for basically nothing.

Why is losing Pedan a loss of another draft pick but losing Grenier is not? Is it because Grenier was drafted with a 3rd round pick while Pedan was traded for essentially a 3rd round pick? Those two guys are from the same draft. This makes no sense to me.

k now im curious about Qualifying Offers. Pedan's nhl salary last year was 792k yet he signs for 700k.

is it an offer of more money in the AHL that gets a player to lower the nhl salary?.

Pretty much. Pedan's qualifying offer required him to get an NHL raise. But now he makes $30K more if he plays in the AHL. Pretty significant pay increase.

Jumex

Dec 17, 2009
Salisbury, UK
I'd expect them both to be waived and Utica bound. And i'd expect both to clear...barring an exceptional camp or something. Always the chance a despicable tanking organization that doesn't have any interest in winning will decide to spend an NHL roster spot on a guy...but you can't really worry about that. If they're not NHL calibre, you can't keep them around out of fear of what the bottom-feeders are going to do. Heck, even the Leafs who snagged Corrado only to not play him...may end up having to waive him themselves this season. Not really any better a player than he was in camp last year...with barely any actual playing experience of any kind last year.

Pedan is kinda is the same sort of spot as Corrado last year, in that he's waiver eligible, but at least as of last glance...clearly not ready for the NHL. And guys who really need more than anything, to play a lot of games.

Which, when you look at our blueline right now it's something like:

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Gudbranson
Sbisa-Larsen
Tryamkin

I think carrying 8D would be a good idea considering the questionmarks there and the way this team goes through blueline depth, plus the forwards we should have available to call-up (Gaunce especially). But that 8th D is simply not going to have games to play, unless/until there are injuries. It's going to be some heavy duty press box action. Biega would be good for this - much better than a younger player who badly needs more development time.

Plus, with recall waivers way in the rearview mirror...as long as you can slide Pedan down among the flood of other team's fringe/depth players...you can bring him right up if he's showing well and you run into injury trouble that 8 roster D can't cover. But the main thing, is that Pedan needs to be playing games and honing his craft if he's going to amount to much of anything. He's not likely to improve dramatically while lounging in the press box 8th on the depth chart. He'll also be able to help quite a bit in Utica while he continues to hopefully grow as a player.

Frankly, i wouldn't be surprised to see Biega waived as well. I wouldn't, personally...unless we exit camp with 14 forwards who clearly deserve to be there. 8D seems a better fit for this year to me though.

I didnt re-call waivers was a thing in the new CBA?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Why is losing Pedan a loss of another draft pick but losing Grenier is not? Is it because Grenier was drafted with a 3rd round pick while Pedan was traded for essentially a 3rd round pick? Those two guys are from the same draft. This makes no sense to me.

Great point..
You nailed it...

Grenier, a typical 3rd rounder, is no big deal to lose cuz he's a whatever depth player.

A traded pick by Benning is a considered a loss of a significant lottery ticket that could of been/likely been so much more than Pedan.

Reality is ... the trade was to save 3-4 yrs of development time on an asset.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Grenier was a sunk cost from a previous failed regime - that's the only way it makes sense to me.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
The terms of their contracts make it quite attractive and cheap for other NHL teams to pluck them off the waiver wire.

I'm assuming that's the reason why their agents got them this deal. If they don't make it out of camp and with the cheap contract they have, it's likely Pedan gets picked up. Hence, send Sbisa down to Utica if it's a tie btwn Pedan and Sbisa out of camp.

No one will pluck Sbisa off waivers

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I'm guessing the Canucks will carry 8 D and Grenier will be the extra forward instead of Gaunce. I wanted Gaunce on the team but one more year of leading the way in Utica shouldn't hurt.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I think we'll carry 8 going into the season.

See how they shake down in camp.

But despite the 2-way, I don't expect him to be waived unless he really falters in camp... or we remain abnormally healthy for an abnormally long time where he begins rotting in the pressbox.

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC

Great point..
You nailed it...

Grenier, a typical 3rd rounder, is no big deal to lose cuz he's a whatever depth player.

A traded pick by Benning is a considered a loss of a significant lottery ticket that could of been/likely been so much more than Pedan.

Reality is ... the trade was to save 3-4 yrs of development time on an asset.

I don't really get particularly bent out of shape over the Pedan trade one way or another, although it was a steep-ish price to pay for the level of prospect he was/is.

But the reality is, *because* it was a trade meant to save on those 3-4 years of development time, Benning had 3-4 extra years to watch and assess Pedan to determine whether he was a player worth paying a price for, since he was acquired 4 years after he was drafted, which colors the trade as one that can be viewed "in hindsight"...

...moreso than Grenier, who was brought into the organization at a far younger age after a big year in the Q, at which point there were still many different directions in which his development could have gone.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Thank god its 2 way now they dont have to clear waivers

That's not how waiver works. 2 way only means they get less money if they play in the AHL. It does NOT change their waiver status. Both need to clear waivers if we want to send them to Utica and honestly its unlikely Pedan will clear. Grenier however will likely clear unless he has an amazing pre-season (if management is smart, they'll hold him in the pre-season).

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
I'm guessing the Canucks will carry 8 D and Grenier will be the extra forward instead of Gaunce. I wanted Gaunce on the team but one more year of leading the way in Utica shouldn't hurt.

Agreed. Gaunce doesn't need to clear waivers and can get called up without hurting Utica's chances too much. Also, esp given the fact that that we are now actually signing depth guys like Carcone, Megna etc..

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Qualifying offers are (generally, always? someone can correct me here if I'm wrong) two way deals. Yes, players leave more NHL money on the table to negotiate their own deal with better AHL compensation because they know that's where they will spend most of their season.

Pedan's NHL salary last year was 700k base + 92.5k signing bonus. This year he is not getting a signing bonus (supposedly,) but he gets the same base salary in the NHL and a decent increase from 70k to 100k in the AHL.

I'm not really sure how signing bonuses work on two-way contracts..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad