Confirmed with Link: Andrey Pedan (700k/100k) and Alex Grenier (600k/125k) sign 1yr, 2 way extensions.

Jabba The Hutton

Nucks STH
Jul 28, 2009
UBC

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the Canucks have signed defenceman Andrey Pedan and forward Alexandre Grenier each to a one-year, two-way contract extension.

Pedan, 23, appeared in 13 games for the Canucks in his debut NHL season in 2015.16. He recorded at least two hits in each game played and led the team with 3.1 hits per game. The 6-5, 217-pound defenceman also skated in 45 games for the AHL Utica Comets last season, registering career-highs in several categories including games played, goals (7), assists (14) and points (21). Appearing in 129 AHL regular season games over parts of four seasons, Pedan has collected 50 points (15-35-50) along with 258 penalty minutes.

A native of Moscow, Russia, Pedan was acquired from the New York Islanders in exchange for Alexandre Mallet and a 2016 third-round selection on November 25, 2014. He was originally selected by the New York Islanders, 63rd overall, at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.

Grenier, 24, appeared in six games for Vancouver in his first NHL season in 2015.16. He also appeared in 69 games with the AHL Utica Comets, leading the team in both points (48) and assists (32) and finishing tied for the third in goals (16). The 6-4, 211-pound forward then added a team-high two goals and three points in four Calder Cup Playoff games. In 208 career AHL regular season games over parts of four seasons, Grenier has registered 130 points (50-80-130) along with 172 penalty minutes.

A native of Laval, Quebec, Grenier was originally selected by Vancouver in the third round, 90th overall, at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.

Last edited:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Nice injury replacements ... though Pedan didn't look like much of an NHLer last season.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Actually if both these guys find their way to Utica, the new edition of the Comets is shaping up quite nicely.....some depth on the blueline and decent candidates on the wing...still question marks at centre....but looking a whole lot better than earlier this spring when all the hand-wringing was going on in Utica....seems to me Pedan still would have to clear waivers though..not sure about Grenier.

duplo

prince kasspian
Nov 4, 2010
Vancouver
Both of these dudes are almost definitely getting waived, unless management waives Biega instead (which I would, but I'm not management).

Pedan has a chance to get claimed, seeing as he's a 6'4" 23 year old defenseman that some team might take a flyer on. If I had to guess, I'd think both would clear and play in Utica next year. Any predictions?

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Actually if both these guys find their way to Utica, the new edition of the Comets is shaping up quite nicely.....some depth on the blueline and decent candidates on the wing...still question marks at centre....but looking a whole lot better than earlier this spring when all the hand-wringing was going on in Utica....seems to me Pedan still would have to clear waivers though..not sure about Grenier.

Both need to clear waivers this year.

Jabba The Hutton

Nucks STH
Jul 28, 2009
UBC
Thank god its 2 way now they dont have to clear waivers

2 way contracts only refer to when a contract pays a player a different amount in the AHL/NHL. I.e. 2 way. 125k/625k means a player would be paid 125k if they played full time in AHL and 625k if full time in NHL.

Waiver exemption eligibility is done using this method:
https://www.capfriendly.com/waivers-faq

Pedan signed a 3 year ELC at 20, and now is no longer waiver exempt.

Grenier signed a 2 year ELC at 22, and then was extended an additional year in 2015-16, so is also no longer waiver exempt.

TL,DR Waivers are not like EA NHL, and they both aren't waiver exempt now.

EDIT: Now I see you were trolling, thanks for making me waste my time. :(

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
I think both would clear. I don't think Pedan has shown enough for any team to stick with him on the big team as of yet. Come preseason, things may change.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I expect Pedan to make the final roster unless he really shows poorly. I do think he'd be claimed...big, physical and put up some points in Utica last season. Some team would take a chance on him as a 6/7 guy and there's room for him here.

Grenier still being part of the organization beats the odds considering where his game was a couple of seasons ago. Don't see an NHLer, but good piece for the Comets.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Good for depth. I like both players well enough, if they get claimed on waivers after pre season it's Bo big deal either.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
k now im curious about Qualifying Offers. Pedan's nhl salary last year was 792k yet he signs for 700k.

is it an offer of more money in the AHL that gets a player to lower the nhl salary?

i'm guessing it was something similar with Grenier when his agent said they'd try to get a better deal. for example he was offered a minimum AHL salary on a two-way deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad