Confirmed with Link: Andrey Pedan (700k/100k) and Alex Grenier (600k/125k) sign 1yr, 2 way extensions.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Too much is made about the waiver status of Grenier and Pedan. Just about every team in the league has their own fringe waiver eligible players to worry about and even though there will be a couple exceptions most all of them will clear and be sent to the AHL.

Last edited:

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Too much is made about the waiver status of Grenier and Pedan. Just about every team in the league has their own fringe waiver exempt players to worry about and even though there will be a couple exceptions most all of them will clear and be sent to the AHL.

I think you're right.

NHL teams don't want to give roster spots to players who have never shown NHL ability.

Corrado is a different story, since he actually looked like he belonged in the NHL at one point (even if it was 2-3 seasons prior). Grenier and Pedan have yet to look like NHLers.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
k now im curious about Qualifying Offers. Pedan's nhl salary last year was 792k yet he signs for 700k.

is it an offer of more money in the AHL that gets a player to lower the nhl salary?

i'm guessing it was something similar with Grenier when his agent said they'd try to get a better deal. for example he was offered a minimum AHL salary on a two-way deal.

It's pretty common if someone is overpriced vs their performance to be bullied into a lower contract. It happens with every team every year. I guess I use the word bullied liberally, but this is not a touchy-feely business.

Also, I have no faith in Grenier at all which has been well documented.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Too much is made about the waiver status of Grenier and Pedan. Just about every team in the league has their own fringe waiver exempt players to worry about and even though there will be a couple exceptions most all of them will clear and be sent to the AHL.

Yeah, exactly.

People get tunnel vision for guys on their team, but don't realize that every team has the same sort of guys and that 98% of waived players clear.

Both guys likely clear waivers easily. And if they don't, it really doesn't matter in the slightest. Dime-a-dozen assets.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Yeah, exactly.

People get tunnel vision for guys on their team, but don't realize that every team has the same sort of guys and that 98% of waived players clear.

Both guys likely clear waivers easily. And if they don't, it really doesn't matter in the slightest. Dime-a-dozen assets.

And every team has to play by the 90 - 50 - 23 -20 rule. You claim someone off waivers, you probably have to waive a player yourself. Unless you were giving a spot to a recent draftee. But then you have to send him back to juniors.

I would be curious to know how many teams have less than a 23 man roster as the waiver period looms?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad