Player Discussion Andrew Peeke

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
That’s where I am at. I like him better then Clifton and I think the gap grows as he adjusts to the system and his teammates.

I also like him better than the internal options this year for 3D.

I hope he fills out his potential but I’m not confident that he will get back to a top 4 level.

I don't need him to be a top 4 player. I need him to be a good 3rd pairing RHD, if he is that, then he is rightly valued at 2.75
He is a hell of a better player than Clifton. Did anyone notice his pass to himself off the defensive boards while under a heavy pressure?

You can't teach that, the kid has skills and will only get better in Boston

He's also a hell of a lot better than what is left of Shattenkirk.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I dont really care about his analytical market value in his worst year, thats a narrow way to look at what hes worth. What was Lindholms looking like before we acquired him? Pretty sure it wasn't pretty....In contrast what was Peekes value in his best year?

Care to show why you think that 1.75 mil will sink them?
I would just rather have the extra money to sweeten deals at higher end players than constantly be stuck in the same cycle of overpaying for 3rd pairing defenders like Moore, forbort, reilly, and Peeke.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I would just rather have the extra money to sweeten deals at higher end players than constantly be stuck in the same cycle of overpaying for 3rd pairing defenders like Moore, forbort, reilly, and Peeke.

Unless you can fill the 3rd pairing with recent draft picks on their entry level deal you are going to have to pay more than the minimum for 3rd pairing guys. Other wise you are working deep in the remnant market and hoping that maybe Wotherspoon breaks out, or Shattenkirk can drag those tired old legs around for another 100 games

Reactions: Gordoff

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Unless you can fill the 3rd pairing with recent draft picks on their entry level deal you are going to have to pay more than the minimum for 3rd pairing guys. Other wise you are working deep in the remnant market and hoping that maybe Wotherspoon breaks out, or Shattenkirk can drag those tired old legs around for another 100 games
Until they fill the top line center hole and the soon to be top line LW hole as Marchand is getting older, they shouldn’t be spending on 3rd pairing D.

Reactions: bruins4thecup65

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
Peeke- +2.75
Wortherspoon- +800k
Lohrei- +925k
Gryz- -3.687
Forbort- -3.0
Shatty- -1.0

So removing Forbort, Gryz and Shatty and replacing them with Peeke, Wortherspoon and Lohrei, we save 3.212 million next season.

XXXX-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Lohrei-Peeke
Wortherspoon
Can we please add Big Z Zadorov for the left side

Until they fill the top line center hole and the soon to be top line LW hole as Marchand is getting older, they shouldn’t be spending on 3rd pairing D.
Ducshene on a 2yr deal would be great

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
2:46 of the 4 minute penalty in OT is why they got him.

21:09 overall might seem like a lot but he averaged more than that in his first two seasons in Columbus.

Kid certainly seems to be a good NHL player. If you get the player we have since since joining the Bruins, he is worth the money, and he still probably has some upside still

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
2:46 of the 4 minute penalty in OT is why they got him.

21:09 overall might seem like a lot but he averaged more than that in his first two seasons in Columbus.
There wasn't a happier fan on these boards than me when this trade was announced.

Since his first game with Boston, I thought he was proving to be a decent bottom-pair defender. I wouldn't blame a single fan here for disliking the deal. Out from under Forbort's contract (and almost out of Reilly's) but Donny's traded for another. Damn.

Until tonight. Tonight Peeke was ALMOST the guy I got excited about at the TDL. And the Bruins don't win without him.

The Caps (at times) came at the Bruins hard. We saw Grzelcyk scramble out of his pants and Carlo get caved in and Shattenkirk disappear (thank you for your gorgeous SO goal however)... Where we saw Peeke, Lindholm and McAvoy answer the bell and push right back.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
WTF is going on in Columbus? How is Peeke a regular healthy scratch on a bottom feeder team?

Tip of the hat to the Bruins pro scouts.

Their loss, our gain.
They got rid of their new coach 2 weeks before the season after spending big money on veteran defensemen for him, immediately making the front office lame ducks. They avoided making any hard roster decisions so Peeke became one of 8 (!) right handed defensemen who had either spent a good amount of time in the league or were high draft picks of theirs. The replacement coach implemented a new defensive system that they never fully figured out, made promises regarding ice time that he didn't keep, and has about two weeks left in his career. They kept 3 goalies on the roster, their starting goalie demanded a trade, and their best player is in the assistance program.

John Tortorella should retroactively get an award for getting that team into the playoffs 4 years in a row.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
It is all about value for dollar in this hard cap league. If Peeke plays like a $1M player (the Athletic’s analytics-driven market value estimate has his value at $800k currently), then yes, that $1.75M overpay hurts the team. That is cap space desperately needed in other areas of the roster.

You gotta take those estimates with a whole cylinder of Morton’s salt though. Is DeBrusk better than Zacha? Forbort than Carlo? JVR better than Coyle or Frederic? Their model thinks so.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

You fill the holes you can as the pieces become available. Assuming they move Ullmark, they are gonna have about $17m to get a LD and a top 6 forward next season. Peeke has no impact on that.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
You fill the holes you can as the pieces become available. Assuming they move Ullmark, they are gonna have about $17m to get a LD and a top 6 forward next season. Peeke has no impact on that.
They need:

1. First line center
2. To give Debrusk a raise or find a replacement
3. Give swayman a raise
4. Find a LD
6. Find an Ullmark replacement
7. Replace one of heinen/jvr (lysell can replace 1)

They’ve been in this endless cycle of giving bottom pairing defenders too much money. John Moore, reilly, forbort and now bringing in Peeke.

Oh and also the looming Marchand replacement because they need to move him down a line or two at his age.

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
They need:

1. First line center
3. Give swayman a raise
4. Find a LD

They’ve been in this endless cycle of giving bottom pairing defenders too much money. John Moore, reilly, forbort and now bringing in Peeke.

Oh and also the looming Marchand replacement because they need to move him down a line or two at his age.

And Adam McQuaid and Kevan Millar. Who are the actual compatibles here as physical bottom pair RD.

Yes that’s the list. And it’s accounted for. You are forgetting Poitras in the JVR/Heinen mix.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
And Adam McQuaid and Kevan Millar. Who are the actual compatibles here as physical bottom pair RD.

Yes that’s the list. And it’s accounted for. You are forgetting Poitras in the JVR/Heinen mix.
Regardless there’s a lot more holes to fill than you are making there to it to be for $17m. A top line center being the most important

Not forgetting poitras at all. He was factored in.

Last edited:

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
They need:

1. First line center
3. Give swayman a raise
4. Find a LD

Coyle / Zacha outperforming Bergeron Krejci yet the ongoing First line center narrative won't go away. How about skilled scoring winger and Left D.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Coyle / Zacha outperforming Bergeron Krejci yet the ongoing First line center narrative won't go away. How about skilled scoring winger and Left D.
I thought we had those? I’ve been hearing for years on this board that Debrusk is a 30+ and sometimes even a 35+ goal scorer almost non stop from posters here.

I’m all for improving the top two forward and d pairs. I have zero interest in paying bottom pairing jags like peeke

• Haha
Reactions: bruinsfan1968

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
L
Regardless there’s a lot more holes to fill than you are making there to it to be for $17m. A top line center being the most important

Not forgetting poitras at all. He was factored in.
There’s lots of room next year, especially if you add $4M by trading Ullmark and using Bussi as backup:

916B3251-E47E-44B2-BC0C-6DA5831A5807.png

If you assume Swayman at $7M, there’s $19.5 to sign three F, a LD, and a 13F. Add a 8D if you want to project a 23 man roster.

Assume two ELC or close at F (Lysell and Boqvist for example) and you’re left with $17Mish for LD, Jake or a replacement, and a 13F and 8D.

You could do Hanifin at $8M, Lindholm at $7M, and two $1M contracts and be home, as one path.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
L

There’s lots of room next year, especially if you add $4M by trading Ullmark and using Bussi as backup:

View attachment 844034

If you assume Swayman at $7M, there’s $19.5 to sign three F, a LD, and a 13F. Add a 8D if you want to project a 23 man roster.

Assume two ELC or close at F (Lysell and Boqvist for example) and you’re left with $17Mish for LD, Jake or a replacement, and a 13F and 8D.

You could do Hanifin at $8M, Lindholm at $7M, and two $1M contracts and be home, as one path.
You think Lindholm is only signing for $7m and didn’t hanifin already reject more money than that?

Also we both agreed previously we don’t want Lindholm at the length of term he will be commanding so not ideal

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
L

View attachment 844034

I'm not sure how he can get Edward's contract right and not Lysell, Harrison, and probably others. Obviously, he knows the rules if he can figure it out for Edward.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
You think Lindholm is only signing for $7m and didn’t hanifin already reject more money than that?

Also we both agreed previously we don’t want Lindholm at the length of term he will be commanding so not ideal
All he's saying is it's possible, you don't have to like the guys he choose but they fill all the holes you claimed would be hard to fill because they're paying Peeke too much.

Also 41 points for Lindholm this year, I'd argue $7 mil might be generous, people will be gunshy to pony up for him after a 2nd straight season of reduced production.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad