Player Discussion Andrew Mangiapane #88 - Eat That Bread

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Said it in the other thread but Ritchie's there to make sure Dube and Mangiapane don't get bullied and pushed around. You'd ideally want someone better to fit that role like a Tom Wilson or a prime Lucic but Sutter makes do with what he has.

I would agree if he actually did something, in the rangers game our goalie got run and he was busy keeping his hands nice and warm for his next scoring chance, we use to run Gaudreau, Monahan, Hudler and they were just fine

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Said it in the other thread but Ritchie's there to make sure Dube and Mangiapane don't get bullied and pushed around. You'd ideally want someone better to fit that role like a Tom Wilson or a prime Lucic but Sutter makes do with what he has.

Dube and Mangiapane stick up for themselves just fine.

I swear, the confirmation bias sometimes.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Didn't say he was good or effective at it. Just that that's likely Sutter's reasoning and why it's unlikely you'll see Monahan moved up anytime soon.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Didn't say he was good or effective at it. Just that that's likely Sutter's reasoning and why it's unlikely you'll see Monahan moved up anytime soon.
Sutter wont change things for now, because he's old school in the way of "you're on a winning streak, you don't change the lineup unless you have to".

Dube isn't afraid to mix it up, and Mangi is definitely more than capable of being scrappy. Besides, it's hard to see that line without at least one of Tanev or Gudbranson out there if they really need muscle.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Really want Ritchie off that Dube line though. Fancy stats are beyond awful for them rn (like bottom of the team)/

Maybe, and I'm not some Ritchie booster, but to be fair

to-be-fair-letterkenny.gif

It's also miniscule sample size skewed by one huge outlier game.

So far together they are

26 For39 Against
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

But in the Washington Capitals game they were 0 For 12 Against. Take that outlier out and they are now 26 For 27 Against in the other 3 games which is okay. It may not sound great but:

1) They also had a rough night in the Red Wings game which was Dube's first NHL game at Center since Calendar year 2018.

2) These were all road games where Sutter couldn't control the matchups out of faceoffs. Players/Teams typically have worse analytics on the road for this reason.

3) These were all games in which the Flames were either tied or held an extended lead, so score effects were significant. Teams leading rarely have a CF% over 50 whereas teams trailing almost always do. This is because teams loosen up their defensive gaps so that big mistakes don't lead to goals against.

Considering score, venue, a significant outlier game, and a transition back to centre for Dube, that line probably deserves some more time together, especially at home where Sutter can cushion them against 3rd pairs and such.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Maybe, and I'm not some Ritchie booster, but to be fair

to-be-fair-letterkenny.gif

It's also miniscule sample size skewed by one huge outlier game.

So far together they are

26 For39 Against
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
But in the Washington Capitals game they were 0 For 12 Against. Take that outlier out and they are now 26 For 27 Against in the other 3 games which is okay. It may not sound great but:

1) They also had a rough night in the Red Wings game which was Dube's first NHL game at Center since Calendar year 2018.

2) These were all road games where Sutter couldn't control the matchups out of faceoffs. Players/Teams typically have worse analytics on the road for this reason.

3) These were all games in which the Flames were either tied or held an extended lead, so score effects were significant. Teams leading rarely have a CF% over 50 whereas teams trailing almost always do. This is because teams loosen up their defensive gaps so that big mistakes don't lead to goals against.

Considering score, venue, a significant outlier game, and a transition back to centre for Dube, that line probably deserves some more time together, especially at home where Sutter can cushion them against 3rd pairs and such.

I don’t know what you said but I like it.

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I think we'll eventually see Monahan back up the lineup. But for now, he isn't looking too good, and coming off the hip surgery and reading about how bad the injury was, I think it makes sense to get him up to speed more slowly to start with.

And I'm of mixed minds with Mangiapane getting more ice time, just because he plays so high above his weight class, he's way more scrappy than Gaudreau in playing around the net and along the boards, I think there's potential benefit with his current ice time in regards to keeping him fresh and energetic. The way he plays, if he starts going 20 minutes, he could easily wear down and we could potentially see him not being as effective every night.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
f***ing stud! He is feletric, fearless and has a beauty of a shot..ah, let me evaluate that last narrative... an arsenal of bazookas. Gangster!

Reactions: TheHudlinator

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Olympic dark horse
You won’t find Andrew Mangiapane’s name on any projected Team Canada rosters.

But that doesn’t mean he hasn’t put himself on management’s radar after an MVP performance at the IIHF world hockey championship and a scorching start to the season for the Calgary Flames.

Mangiapane was included on Canada’s Olympic long list, per sources, and he’s scored seven goals in eight games since. The speedy 25-year-old winger faces tough odds given the country’s enviable forward depth, but his dominant performance at the world championship in Latvia carries weight with Hockey Canada.

Pretty amazing for a guy who was once passed over for the world junior tournament and didn’t get drafted until his second year of eligibility. Calgary took him with the 166th pick in 2015 at the urging of scout Terry Dornan and that looks like a home-run selection now.
Opinion | Inside the NHL: Defining day for the NHLPA, early surprises and an under-the-radar Olympic candidate

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Mangi is youngish, just hitting his prime and the Flames look to be going all-in for whatever they think “in” is. For me, I’m only dealing Mangi for Eichel, Tkachuk, etc (with pluses of course) or else a can’t miss prospect. He’s a heck of a player.
Agree. I might really consider Mangi to Ott with Moneyman, for B Tkachuk and one of young centers not named Colin WhitE, and an add bt Ott.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Mangiapane is in the midst of a bit of a dry spell. Only 1 goal in the last 12 games.

23Monahan

Jul 2, 2018
We really need mangiapane to get going. I get players have dry spells and have issues scoring at times, but it seems like he isn't even trying to compete. Last season he played with alot more grit and fire, seems he lost alot of hunger after signing that contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00