Player Discussion Andrew Mangiapane #88 - Eat That Bread

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Matt Lombardi was ~40 point player in Calgary, and ridiculously good on the international circuit for Canada.
Me saying that was not a negative, it was just a reminder about these international tournaments; Mangi had an incredible season, and incredible tournament, now I want to see him become that major player he can be (maybe we need to find room for him on the PP?).

I think he will. Mangi has always produced and been scorer. Lombo could not finish.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Looking at Andrew Mangiapane’s linear crossover usage at the IIHF World Championship

For the Calgary Flames, Mangiapane has been one of, if not their best forward at 5v5 hockey. While he might have been their best kept secret (just one season ago, people unfamiliar with the Flames had him left exposed for the upcoming Seattle Expansion Draft), he has definitely left his mark on the hockey world at large now.

Thanks to Mangiapane’s performance at the World Championship, and thanks in part to the power of the linear crossover, he comes back to Calgary with shiny new hardware. Borrowing the words of Don Cheadle’s debut as Colonel James Rhodes in Iron Man 2, I like to imagine that Mangiapane would say something similar: “Look, it’s me, I’m here, deal with it. Let’s move on.”

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Sens fan. Love the magic Andrew and CBrown had at the World Championships. What would it take coming back from us to land this guy in trade?

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Could probably start a conversation with Batherson. The Flames fans are pretty high on Mangi and rightfully so. It would cost dearly to acquire him right now.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Could probably start a conversation with Batherson. The Flames fans are pretty high on Mangi and rightfully so. It would cost dearly to acquire him right now.
If Bath only starts the conversation, then I'm either drastically overvaluing Bath or undervaluing Mangiapane.

But that said, I think a deal could probably be reached. Sens have lots of good pieces available.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
If Bath only starts the conversation, then I'm either drastically overvaluing Bath or undervaluing Mangiapane.
We don't have a lot of quality cost-controlled assets. We need one back if we're letting one go, just the reality of the situation

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
We don't have a lot of quality cost-controlled assets. We need one back if we're letting one go, just the reality of the situation
Sens whole roster is cost-controlled futures.

I think the pieces Sens might be willing to part with include Erik Brannstrom, Alex Formenton, Tyler Boucher, Ridly Greig, Nick Paul, Jacob Bernard-Docker, Lassi Thomson, maybe a good goalie prospect, maybe picks or maybe even something around Tkachuk if he won't budge on salary.

Only guys I doubt they would trade would be Batherson, Pinto, Chabot, Sanderson, Stutzle, Norris, and maybe Gustafsson.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I think the pieces Sens might be willing to part with include Erik Brannstrom, Alex Formenton, Tyler Boucher, Ridly Greig, Nick Paul, Jacob Bernard-Docker, Lassi Thomson, maybe a good goalie prospect, maybe picks or maybe even something around Tkachuk if he won't budge on salary.

Only guys I doubt they would trade would be Batherson, Pinto, Chabot, Sanderson, Stutzle, Norris, and maybe Gustafsson.

Mangi is youngish, just hitting his prime and the Flames look to be going all-in for whatever they think “in” is. For me, I’m only dealing Mangi for Eichel, Tkachuk, etc (with pluses of course) or else a can’t miss prospect. He’s a heck of a player.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

But that said, I think a deal could probably be reached. Sens have lots of good pieces available.
Yes, it would appear that you've drastically undervalued Mangi's importance to the organization. Given his contract, age and skillset, I put him in the top 5 players to keep, possibly even top 3. For that reason, if he were to be moved, it would have to be in a 1 for 1 deal, that made sense for the Flames. Either that or Mangi, as part of a package, for a much better player. Packages of lesser pieces or unproven futures from the Sens, won't move the needle for Flames fans.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

The guys you listed unavailable are essentially the guys we would want back, namely Batherson or Pinto++. Otherwise Mangiapane stays a Flame. Assuming you’re wanting Brown to have a linemate he has chemistry with, then we’re probably the ones better off going for Brown.

With the way Treliving has negotiated with Mangiapane in the past, you could potentially offer sheet for Mangiapane. Assuming he continues the way he’s playing, he too will be looking at a contract similar to Batherson.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
The guys you listed unavailable are essentially the guys we would want back, namely Batherson or Pinto++. Otherwise Mangiapane stays a Flame. Assuming you’re wanting Brown to have a linemate he has chemistry with, then we’re probably the ones better off going for Brown.

With the way Treliving has negotiated with Mangiapane in the past, you could potentially offer sheet for Mangiapane. Assuming he continues the way he’s playing, he too will be looking at a contract similar to Batherson.
Yeah, that's fair, and I think trading Brown to the Flames could be an option too. He's going to want a big payday in two years and I'm not sure if he's in the long-term plans or not.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Sens fan. Love the magic Andrew and CBrown had at the World Championships. What would it take coming back from us to land this guy in trade?
Matthew Tkachuk and a high prospect, likely. Ottawa is in demand and control of all potential trades and offers etc. So the bar is a little skewed right now, ya know. Look at their handling of younger bro' Brady! Professional, elite, in charge and control of all.
Ha, ha, ha. Lols.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Yeah, that's fair, and I think trading Brown to the Flames could be an option too. He's going to want a big payday in two years and I'm not sure if he's in the long-term plans or not.
Maybe offer them Mono-han -man for CB and a C prospect/higher draft pick? We can throw in one of our umteen 4th-liner RW'ers too.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Little early, but hes looked great this year.

How great is it as a flames fan to a see a home grown drafted and developed player crack the top six.

I feel like it doesn't happen around here nearly as much as it does say... anywhere else. I may be wrong on the actual stats, but I spend alot of time looking back on CGY's drafts and I'm always left shaking my head at how they turn out.

Six of Calgary's 13 forwards were drafted by CGY. Only 3 of 8 defenseman, and 0/2 goalies.

3 in the first round (Monahan '13 , Chucky '16, Backlund '07) Dube in the second and Gaudreau/Mangiapane in the 4th and 6th.

In a nut shell, since 2007, CGY has developed 3 players from the forward position that were drafted first round.

Forwards drafted in the first round no longer with CGY:
Bennett (looks good in florida, go figure)
Poirier
Klimchuk
Jankowski
Bartschi
Nemisz

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
At what point does Mang get more ice time? He’s a legit 1st line talent playing 3rd line minutes, and it’s great that we have depth now with three solid lines but Mang is way too good for 14-15 minutes a night. He creates so many chances at 5v5 Darryl should bump his ice time to 17-18 mins. If that means double shifting Mang with Monahan and Lucic/Lewis so be it, he’s the real deal. Elite 5v5 player

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
At what point does Mang get more ice time? He’s a legit 1st line talent playing 3rd line minutes, and it’s great that we have depth now with three solid lines but Mang is way too good for 14-15 minutes a night. He creates so many chances at 5v5 Darryl should bump his ice time to 17-18 mins. If that means double shifting Mang with Monahan and Lucic/Lewis so be it, he’s the real deal. Elite 5v5 player

The fact Mangiapane plays with f***ing Ritchie is asinine.

How the f*** is the 2nd/3rd line not: Mangiapane-Monahan-Dube , you Monahan haters can talk all the shit you want, there is no way he isn't a MASSIVE upgrade over Ritchie who adds nothing to this team. It's laughable people think he should even be on this roster as a bottom 6 guy, he had 2 good games last year, get over it he is useless.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
That seems unnecessarily vitriolic towards Ritchie. He's no top six forward, obviously, but compared to a lot of other bottom six plugs, I'd say he's more reliable to make strong plays which positively affect the game. His confidence with the puck also seems improved this year. I agree that he isn't the right guy to strap to one of our hottest scorers, but he's far from useless.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
The fact Mangiapane plays with f***ing Ritchie is asinine.

How the f*** is the 2nd/3rd line not: Mangiapane-Monahan-Dube , you Monahan haters can talk all the shit you want, there is no way he isn't a MASSIVE upgrade over Ritchie who adds nothing to this team. It's laughable people think he should even be on this roster as a bottom 6 guy, he had 2 good games last year, get over it he is useless.

Ya agreed it is brutal he’s stuck with Ritchie. I like Ritchie for the 4th line honestly and don’t agree he’s useless but agreed for sure Money should be tried at RW with Mang and Dube. I like Dube at C too much to slide him to Money’s wing tho.

I also don’t think Money is the ideal fit for Dube and Mang, but better than Ritchie for sure and should get the chance. Until we trade Money for that legit top-6 RW like we shoulda done 2 years ago now

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Said it in the other thread but Ritchie's there to make sure Dube and Mangiapane don't get bullied and pushed around. You'd ideally want someone better to fit that role like a Tom Wilson or a prime Lucic but Sutter makes do with what he has.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad