Andrew Ladd situation [Mod: His next contract]

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I feel bad for Ladd, not financially though. He was a great captain that performed well for us, and I hope he can live up to his current contract.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I feel bad for Ladd, not financially though. He was a great captain that performed well for us, and I hope he can live up to his current contract.

Really don't think the numbers will improve for Ladd, a bad contract is just a bad contract.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Really don't think the numbers will improve for Ladd, a bad contract is just a bad contract.

He’s probably going to hate playing under it for another 5 years, as it’s bad today, abysmal 3 years from now, horrendously abysmal 5 years from now.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

I actually don’t feel bad for Ladd. He decided to leave the team he captained for years for cash.

If I was a player, I wouldn’t want to chase down the last nickle. If you don’t live up to your contract, the fans will despise you. If you give good value, fans will adore you.

Greedy players will get their well deserved resentment.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Will they end up burying him in the minors in a couple years? They save more that way than buying him out.

Reactions: sipowicz

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I actually don’t feel bad for Ladd. He decided to leave the team he captained for years for cash.

If I was a player, I wouldn’t want to chase down the last nickle. If you don’t live up to your contract, the fans will despise you. If you give good value, fans will adore you.

Greedy players will get their well deserved resentment.

Ladd hadn't made a tonne of money in his career when taking into account his production and role (All relative of course). He also had a couple of cups in the bank so he likely felt he was justified in going for the cash. Lets be honest, most of us try to maximize our wealth in our respective fields. I have no issue with him going for the money. Its up to smart management groups to know how to properly allocate their budgets.

Reactions: Hobby Bull

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Will they end up burying him in the minors in a couple years? They save more that way than buying him out.

It’s buy-out proof since it is a high bonus/low salary contract. How does that work if he’s demoted?

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
Ladd hadn't made a tonne of money in his career when taking into account his production and role (All relative of course). He also had a couple of cups in the bank so he likely felt he was justified in going for the cash. Lets be honest, most of us try to maximize our wealth in our respective fields. I have no issue with him going for the money. Its up to smart management groups to know how to properly allocate their budgets.

Speak for yourself, I'm getting bodied by university:help:

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

He can obviously go for the money but he will be despised by NYI fans for several years. Worth it to him? Heh, probably.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
It’s buy-out proof since it is a high bonus/low salary contract. How does that work if he’s demoted?

When a contract is burried the current cap savings is $1.025M (minsalary+ $375k) it rises to $1.075M in 2019/20 season.

A Ladd buyout saves $666k

Last edited:

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
They are allowed to hide around a million per year of cap space in the AHL.

So, the comparable is whether Andrew Ladd is worth $1M/year playing in the NHL, which he would be. So, I don’t think this is a valid option.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
When a contract begins s burried the current cap savings is $1.025M (minsalary+ $375k) it rises to $1.075M in 2019/20 season.

A Ladd buyout saves $666k

So NYI are essentially screwed. Might as well keep him in the NHL since the savings are pittance.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
He can obviously go for the money but he will be despised by NYI fans for several years. Worth it to him? Heh, probably.

I don’t believe he thought he would decline this quickly when he signed his contract. His intentions were to perform at a $5mill level.

Some athletes decline gradually, some fall off cliffs, but both believe they had years to go.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Here’s one from a friend who covers the NY area for the athletic:
And Ladd isn’t even in the top 2 worst contracts on the team.

Let me guess Boychuk and Cltutterbuck are seen as worse. That doesn't make his contract great though.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016

can't blame a guy for wanting more money tho, but still the guy was the captain of team and dipped for money

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
can't blame a guy for wanting more money tho, but still the guy was the captain of team and dipped for money
]In the end it worked out well for us, he would no longer have much of a role here given the talent we now have at the wing position.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I think Ladd felt he took his discount when he signed his first contract with the Jets ($4.4M x 5). I also think he was upset that the Jets decided to take their foot off the gas after the playoff year. He seemed to want to win and be on a team that was committed to winning in the near term. Didn't line up with the Jets plan - so he raised his price (or at least became inflexible) and that ultimately scuttled the chance of a deal here. Turns out the Jets dodged a bullet that caught Garth Snow right between his 8 foot shoulderpads that still weren't enough to make him a decent goalie (or GM).

Agree. I think that's exactly what happened.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Meanwhile Buff has 12 points in his last 9 games, on pace this season for 54 over 82 games, while playing as our #1 defenceman.
Looks like Chevy might have made the right choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad