Andrew Ladd situation [Mod: His next contract]

folix

Jul 24, 2011
The decline curve for wingers over 30 was quite steep. The data is there for everyone to see, the stupidity belongs to the islanders.

Reactions: Ducky10

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
Everything going so well we need to dig deep to find something to talk about...;)

Ladd left...

lets keep it that way...

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Those saying that Ladd was never an effective player and was "just a 3rd liner" is the biggest FAKE NEWS ever! Ladd was a very good player for us for most of his tenure with the Jets. It doesn't look like he is that player anymore due to injuries and a particularly rough aging curve for powerforwards that has claimed many victims but to suggest that he was never any good is ridiculous.

If I was a player, I wouldn’t want to chase down the last nickle. If you don’t live up to your contract, the fans will despise you. If you give good value, fans will adore you.

Greedy players will get their well deserved resentment.

And I am sure you would feel differently if you actually were a hockey player with a limited window of making money who had been pretty much been playing on a discount relative to his performance for a few years and sacrificed lots including his body for the good of the team. Then on top of that the management decided to blow up the team right after making the playoffs, in a situation like that there is no reason for a player to feel like he owes a discount to the club. It would have been one thing if the Jets were spending close to the cap but if the team isn't spending money, isn't competing in the playoffs... what possible hockey related incentive does a player have to take a discount?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I don’t believe he thought he would decline this quickly when he signed his contract. His intentions were to perform at a $5mill level.

Some athletes decline gradually, some fall off cliffs, but both believe they had years to go.

Ladd wasn’t even the same player in his final years here as he was in the first couple, his style of play had already begun to take it’s toll on his body!

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Those saying that Ladd was never an effective player and was "just a 3rd liner" is the biggest FAKE NEWS ever! Ladd was a very good player for us for most of his tenure with the Jets. It doesn't look like he is that player anymore due to injuries and a particularly rough aging curve for powerforwards that has claimed many victims but to suggest that he was never any good is ridiculous.

And I am sure you would feel differently if you actually were a hockey player with a limited window of making money who had been pretty much been playing on a discount relative to his performance for a few years and sacrificed lots including his body for the good of the team. Then on top of that the management decided to blow up the team right after making the playoffs, in a situation like that there is no reason for a player to feel like he owes a discount to the club. It would have been one thing if the Jets were spending close to the cap but if the team isn't spending money, isn't competing in the playoffs... what possible hockey related incentive does a player have to take a discount?

If I was a hockey player, I don’t think I would enjoy playing seven years in front of fans who think I am a bum, crippling the team and are plotting ways to get rid of my arse.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Just saw Ladd interview on the Nucks broadcast. Looks like he's lost weight. Face looks skinny

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Maybe Seattle ends up taking loads of shotty contracts in exchange for draft picks/prospects. I don't expect they will get sweetheart draft like Vegas.

So many lousy contracts in league.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Garth Snow is dead-man walking. I wonder what ever happened to that DiPietro contract?

They bought out the final 8 years of his contract after the last lockout. He gets $1.5M every july 1 until 2028. There is no cap hit because it was a compliance buyout.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Wow! The fact you stated it for 7 years just means you were wrong for 6. All of the eye test, the advanced stats and the standard stats bear out that he was a legit 1LW. Not elite, but legit. And he was a warrior.
What were we? 5 or 6th worst team in the NHL over that span? The entire forward group was anything but legit in the roles they were playing.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
They bought out the final 8 years of his contract after the last lockout. He gets $1.5M every july 1 until 2028. There is no cap hit because it was a compliance buyout.
Didn't know that. Great deal for Rick I guess. I figured Snow would be gone shortly after that contract. It seems like their mgmt has been shaky for a long time.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I'll never understand fan bitterness towards an athlete who accepts the amount of money the team offered them.

"7 million is too much fellas, give me 5 in case I'm a huge letdown. I'd rather avoid people giving me the gears".

I am not bitter. I like when other teams make salary cap mistakes.

For some players, it’s not just a cash grab. They give discounts to be in a good situation and perhaps help the team succeed. For the Ladd’s and Lucic’s of the world, they’re despised by those that follow their teams.

I would think most players would prefer to be celebrated in the city they play for and not generate bad press and fan negativity for a few years. Is it worth all of that to squeeze some more? Obviously to some dirtbags.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Andrew Ladd was great for the team, having no supporting cast for the years he was here.
He gave everything to the organization and community, at the beginning doing more than what was expected.

Maybe he asked for a little bit more in the end but he was underpaid during his run as the captain.
He deserved probably the raise in another situation but this is business. Chevy (I don't know the full details) made the right decision by not signing him, as it might cripple the cap going forward.

Andrew Ladd was a legit 1st line LW (top 15) and top 10 for 1-2 years and LLW was legit 1st line middle of the pack.
He bled Winnipeg Jets, the only thing maybe - he was a quite leader ( but we don't know inside the room).

GO JETS GO - Andrew Ladd is one of the best JETS 2.0 player

Last edited:

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
It was almost surreal to read the firsts posts from this thread. There was desperation and frustration but couple of years later Jets is a real deal.

Hat off to Chevy. He has done great work.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What were we? 5 or 6th worst team in the NHL over that span? The entire forward group was anything but legit in the roles they were playing.

LLW was a legit 1st line but they had little or no support. Did you expect them to play goal too?

23 players on a roster. They don't all have to be bad for the team to be bad. I think you have taken an untenable position. I don't think there is anything you can offer to support it. I'll agree to disagree if you will.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I am not bitter. I like when other teams make salary cap mistakes.

For some players, it’s not just a cash grab. They give discounts to be in a good situation and perhaps help the team succeed. For the Ladd’s and Lucic’s of the world, they’re despised by those that follow their teams.

I would think most players would prefer to be celebrated in the city they play for and not generate bad press and fan negativity for a few years. Is it worth all of that to squeeze some more? Obviously to some dirtbags.

You have to remember, players only have a brief window to make money for themselves. Take at least 40% away from taxes, take 5% (or whatever) for your agent, you've got an accountant, and playing expenses, and money doesn't go as far as you would think.

And after they retire at 35 or whatever they need to have earned enough money to live the rest of their lives. They are also at increased risk for tons of different medical problems as they age.

In short: You gotta make that paper.

Reactions: SLAYER

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'll never understand fan bitterness towards an athlete who accepts the amount of money the team offered them.

"7 million is too much fellas, give me 5 in case I'm a huge letdown. I'd rather avoid people giving me the gears".

Yea it’s just BIDness

Ladd had two cup rings and he had made decent NHL money but was on a value deal in Winnipeg in his prime and he wanted to max out on his last chance to earn a big money deal. Ladd was a great soldier for us and I am happy he got his big pay day and I am thrilled it wasn't us paying.

I realize some people look at the big dollars and think what they think. However when you earn all your income before you are 36 years old and then they turn off the tap funny things can happen especially when you get accustomed to making it unless you are smart with cash. The Post career bankruptcy numbers for pro athletes that I have heard thrown around are not pretty. You gots to get dat cake when you can.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad