Player Discussion: Andrei Vasilevskiy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Maybe he’s tired. Maybe he’s over worked. Maybe he’s slumping.

But something isn’t right here

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Vassy's fine. People love to overreact. Some more than others.

Since March 4:

17 GP, 982:12 TOI, .904 S%

I don't have access to how he might be doing in stats like GSAA or stuff like that. If anybody wants to share that, please do. But .904 S% is bottom barrel for a starting goaltender in general, let alone one of Vasi's caliber. And that's over 17 games, which accounts for ~29% of his games played for the entire season. How many nearly 1000 minute-long samples in his career can you find which are as poor as these? Prior to this, the worst stretch I can remember in general was in '16-'17 when he was filling in for an injured Bishop, where between Nov. 29-Jan. 8 he had an .877 S% across 15 games. So he hasn't been as bad as he was then, when he was low-key a big reason we missed the playoffs that year. But I can't remember any other sustained stretches of poor play for him, ever.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Since March 4:

17 GP, 982:12 TOI, .904 S%

I don't have access to how he might be doing in stats like GSAA or stuff like that. If anybody wants to share that, please do. But .904 S% is bottom barrel for a starting goaltender in general, let alone one of Vasi's caliber. And that's over 17 games, which accounts for ~29% of his games played for the entire season. How many nearly 1000 minute-long samples in his career can you find which are as poor as these? Prior to this, the worst stretch I can remember in general was in '16-'17 when he was filling in for an injured Bishop, where between Nov. 29-Jan. 8 he had an .877 S% across 15 games. So he hasn't been as bad as he was then, when he was low-key a big reason we missed the playoffs that year. But I can't remember any other sustained stretches of poor play for him, ever.
He ended last season just as poorly, so not worried in that regard. I think for Vasy it's about focusing better and we know he usually steps up when the playoffs starts.

Obviously it's not a guarantee he will always do that, but until proven otherwise I won't worry about it.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
He ended last season just as poorly, so not worried in that regard. I think for Vasy it's about focusing better and we know he usually steps up when the playoffs starts.

Obviously it's not a guarantee he will always do that, but until proven otherwise I won't worry about it.

Vasilevskiy from April 1-end of season:

15 GP, 895:49 TOI, .916 S%

The Lightning as a team didn't play terribly well and those stats aren't "knocks-your-socks-off" good, but that S% is considerably better than .904.

I suppose you could distill down to the last seven games, where he had an .897 S% and the last two games vs. Florida to end the regular season where he was 56/65 on his saves (.862), but those are considerably smaller sample sizes. Vasi's current struggles go back over a month. Even the best goalies have the occasional blip of substandard play, but 17 games isn't really a "blip" anymore and you also need to take into account the workload he's shouldered physically and mentally from now the last two seasons and playoffs as well. Good thing the Olympics got nuked, right?

Just to be clear, though, and I talked about this in the GDT - I don't blame this on Vasi. This is on Cooper. Vasi should've never played as many games as he had this year, for so many different reasons. Cooper should've known better.

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
I am not afraid about Vasy performance now. The only thing I am afraid of is injury. I remember 2019 Play off, he played injured there, so hopefully he is a bit tired, or mentally preparing for PO but doesnt have any injuries now

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Him and Serg have been off for a while now. I wonder if it has anything to do with the Russia stuff. Hope they can get focused for the playoffs. We will need them.

Reactions: ultra63

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
Gassedilevskiy
Boredilevskiy? Verklemptilevskiy?

If Vasy is gassed and Cooper hasn't read those tea leaves and keeps sending him out there with the playoffs already assured then he's an idiot. But I don't think he is and don't think Vasy is gassed. I think he's in his own head for whatever reason. There's a lot going on is this world and who's to say whether it's getting to him or not. The point is, none of us know Vasy the man, we only know Vasy the goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stammertime91

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think there are some focus/motivation issues. We need him to be the better goalie on most nights and we're not getting that. I hope it's because nothing is on the line yet.

The stats are, well, troubling, but it doesnt look like an injury or anything. It looks to me like he's giving up a goal almost every night that he would like the have back. And usually it's just positioning or picking up the shot late. Still seems as capable as ever of highlight reel saves.

YayHockeysBack

Jan 12, 2019
Him and Serg have been off for a while now. I wonder if it has anything to do with the Russia stuff. Hope they can get focused for the playoffs. We will need them.
I've been thinking this too. Vasy's decline coincides almost precisely with the Russian invasion of Ukraine, and you have to wonder if it's weighing on mind. I can't imagine how he must feel, especially if he has family still in Russia (does he?).

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I've been thinking this too. Vasy's decline coincides almost precisely with the Russian invasion of Ukraine, and you have to wonder if it's weighing on mind. I can't imagine how he must feel, especially if he has family still in Russia (does he?).
I assume most Russian players have at least SOME family back there, which would give them reason for concern. I don't know if that's what's happening with Vasy -- it's not like he's the only guy who looks like he's taking the last part of the season off. Brayden Point looks pretty much the same, and we've seen Kuch go through a terrible stretch.

I think some guys just really struggle to stay focused when nothing is on the line. I don't think that's the entire problem, mind you. I think it's more that our bottom-six isn't as good as it used to be + our top-six and the goalie are yawning their way down the stretch.

Hedman's been steady, IMO, and obviously great offensively. But he's not dominating at both ends the way I fully expect him to when the playoffs start. He's the one guy who I just don't worry about when it comes to "the switch."

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I assume most Russian players have at least SOME family back there, which would give them reason for concern. I don't know if that's what's happening with Vasy -- it's not like he's the only guy who looks like he's taking the last part of the season off. Brayden Point looks pretty much the same, and we've seen Kuch go through a terrible stretch.

I think some guys just really struggle to stay focused when nothing is on the line. I don't think that's the entire problem, mind you. I think it's more that our bottom-six isn't as good as it used to be + our top-six and the goalie are yawning their way down the stretch.

Hedman's been steady, IMO, and obviously great offensively. But he's not dominating at both ends the way I fully expect him to when the playoffs start. He's the one guy who I just don't worry about when it comes to "the switch."
Many Russians also have family in Ukraine, complicating the issue (I have a relation-by-marriage who was born in USSR-era Moldova, culturally Russian, whose aunt lives in Ukraine and this relation has had incredible difficulty in convincing her parents who live in Russia that the war is not what they're saying it is on TV). IMO, It's tough and possibly inappropriate to speculate further.

Reactions: Hoek

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007

Very good points, hopefully the beast has been awakened in this team. I am still concerned about Vasi and Kuch as well as the rest of the Russians in the league. I don't want it to get political but looks like a shooting war with Russia is coming. These players who have not filed for dual citizenship will probably be caught in Russia in the offseason. Or even if they do have dual citizenship their life will be in danger here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad