Player Discussion Andrei Kuzmenko

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
You apparently have no idea what happens in Russia if people support gay rights.

Even Brian Burke understands why they don't.

I understand and don’t care. Don’t go back to Russia if that is the case. Also other Russians were fine to participate.

But the bigger issue is he us a shit player anyways, him being a scumbag is secondary.

• Wow
Reactions: Nanuuk

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I understand and don’t care. Don’t go back to Russia if that is the case. Also other Russians were fine to participate.

But the bigger issue is he us a shit player anyways, him being a scumbag is secondary.
So you think people should risk their lives, their families lives, or lose their home over pride?

That literally goes against everything pride is about.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
You apparently have no idea what happens in Russia if people support gay rights.

Even Brian Burke understands why they don't.

Any link about this? Didn't know Burke said that.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Any link about this? Didn't know Burke said that.
It was after the Reimer thing, he said something to the affect of Russian players having a reason, then chastised the religious excuse.

Reactions: Fig

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'm fine with Kuzmenko as a trial. He's basically James Neal in my mind. Good shot, but just floats around doing nothing, with his blade in the air waiting for the perfect sauce pass.

seems like a fun guy

27 years old, 39G in his rookie NHL season. Several productive years in the KHL before that, which I would consider the 2nd best ice hockey league in the world. Makes 5.5 AAV for the rest of this season and the next.

Every time I watched him with the Canucks the talent was clear. Seems like he didn't mesh well with Tocchet this season. The Flames need more guys who can make plays in the offensive zone and Kuzmenko has proven to be capable of that. Definitely deficient in some areas, defensively being the main one, never struck me as a particularly competitive in the corners player either. I'm curious what the Flames plan is for him, if they see him as a fit longer term or a pure pump and dump kind of aquisition.

As a Canucks fan, I'd say there are two versions of Kuzmenko. Last season and early this season, he was a super skilled but slow and float-y, high-percentage shots-only player (he was finding open space last season and wasn't early this season).

Then recently, in trying his hardest to adapt to Tocchet's system and legitimately appearing to be working his hardest, he's actually shown a potentially very strong/skilled corner/boards game, where it can look like he has the puck's on a string and he's just constantly spinning back and forth away from defensive players causing chaos down low. He also started taking far more low-percentage shots and ill-advised high-danger passes that go the other way, though (I don't expect the latter to continue, but it was the straw that broke the camel's back, basically).

Both versions are very poor at the fundamentals and away from the puck. He's not an effective forechecker or back-checker because he struggles to keep up with the pace, and he almost always loses the guy he's supposed to be covering (recently, despite his best efforts). That side of him was being carried pretty hard by Pettersson's defensive game.

He was making progress leading up to the trade, but very slowly. If you can insulate him with two all-around players who can carry the play and play really well defensively, Kuzmenko should be fine and could very easily rekindle his offense, IMO (he's got a ton of raw talent).

I'm still very puzzled by why he was so ineffective playing with so many good players on the 1st unit powerplay, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bounces R Way

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
He's clearly a very talented offensive player but I'll reserve expectations.

He played with a lot of talent in Vancouver. It worked one year and didn't work the other.

With us he'll probably have more opportunities but the drawback is he'll be playing with less talented players. Curious to see how he does.

I agree with Fig. A Huberdeau, Sharangovich, Kuzmenko line feasting on weaker competition (2nd or 3rd line?)I think would play to Huberdeau and Kuzmenko's strengths. A chance for both of them to get closer to the offense they were capable of in past seasons.

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
So you think people should risk their lives, their families lives, or lose their home over pride?

That literally goes against everything pride is about.

[MOD]

Others had no problem doing it.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Every time I watched him with the Canucks the talent was clear. Seems like he didn't mesh well with Tocchet this season.
Tocchet doesn't like Russian players. Yet players that asked for trades are not mentioned at all. Odd eh?

Kuzmenko, Mikheyev, Zardorov and Podkolzin all have been subject to trade rumours and Tocchet comments.

Tocchet, who has an extremely close relationship with media, suddenly has ALL the Russians on the Canucks' team in the rumour mill.

Even this Kuzmenko doghouse stuff is off considering last year Tocchet had no issues with Kuz who scored 31 points in 31 games under Tocchet.

Kuzmenko was easily much better than Boeser, better on the boards, harder wrist shot (Boeser doesn't score those types of goals anymore), much better passing, possession and PP player.

I think this will be a great trade for Calgary, Kuz can almost carry a line by himself.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Tarasenko-lite. Just a shame we have no one to set him up
He set up lots of opportunities.

Tocchet mostly kept him with the AHL call ups so a lot of his passes were never expected and missed, especially around the net. Aman missed 4 or 5 MT net passes.

Reactions: Mobiandi

joescores

Mar 21, 2011

See his 39 Gs from last season. He is a predator that likes to operate in close spaces around the net. He relies on accurate pass which he is able to deflect or just tap in. Also decent in 1 v 1 situation. I think he could do well with someone like Hubie and Backlund as his line mates. Hubie the inventive passer, Backlund Mr responsible- maybe a bit slow line, hearing Kuzie not a fast skater.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Tocchet doesn't like Russian players. Yet players that asked for trades are not mentioned at all. Odd eh?

Kuzmenko, Mikheyev, Zardorov and Podkolzin all have been subject to trade rumours and Tocchet comments.

Tocchet, who has an extremely close relationship with media, suddenly has ALL the Russians on the Canucks' team in the rumour mill.

Even this Kuzmenko doghouse stuff is off considering last year Tocchet had no issues with Kuz who scored 31 points in 31 games under Tocchet.

Kuzmenko was easily much better than Boeser, better on the boards, harder wrist shot (Boeser doesn't score those types of goals anymore), much better passing, possession and PP player.

I think this will be a great trade for Calgary, Kuz can almost carry a line by himself.
Yeah the way he is sandbagging mikheyev right now with consistent top 6 minutes

Reactions: theguardianII

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I’m already a huge fan of Kuzmenko. He has a great personality. I’ve enjoyed listening to him in the interviews. He’s so pleasant, positive and fun to be around. He seems like he’s a great locker room guy.
In the post game interview he was certainly showing a big personality, seems very happy and seems to like to joke around and make others laugh.

Reactions: Fig and Boomstick

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Him & Pelletier will become quick friends I'd guess. Both have that eternal happiness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad