Player Discussion Andrei Kuzmenko

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
seems like a fun guy

27 years old, 39G in his rookie NHL season. Several productive years in the KHL before that, which I would consider the 2nd best ice hockey league in the world. Makes 5.5 AAV for the rest of this season and the next.

Every time I watched him with the Canucks the talent was clear. Seems like he didn't mesh well with Tocchet this season. The Flames need more guys who can make plays in the offensive zone and Kuzmenko has proven to be capable of that. Definitely deficient in some areas, defensively being the main one, never struck me as a particularly competitive in the corners player either. I'm curious what the Flames plan is for him, if they see him as a fit longer term or a pure pump and dump kind of aquisition.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm curious what the Flames plan is for him, if they see him as a fit longer term or a pure pump and dump kind of aquisition.
I think it could be neither, just like Rango could be neither. I think it's clear we're starting a re-tool, which means next year Kuz and Rango will be in teh same situation that Lindholm, Hanifin & Co were in this year where it'll be re-sign or trade. I feel like we're hoping for a bounce back to 30+ goals for Kuz so we can move him at the deadline for a 1st+

Reactions: Boomstick

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I'm fine with Kuzmenko as a trial. He's basically James Neal in my mind. Good shot, but just floats around doing nothing, with his blade in the air waiting for the perfect sauce pass.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
He will be a fan favorite, he wasnt playing to his full potential and canuck fans still like him, that's how likeable this guy is.

As for his play he's not a player that relies on speed Infact I'd say he's one of the slower players in the league, although not in a oh this guy can't skate type of way but more that he likes to play at a slower pace type of way.

His number 1 asset IMO is his puck skills and his playmaking, he's not a line driver but he does have the ability to make passes that sometimes you wouldn't expect.

If given top 6 minutes and PP1 time I think he can be a consistent 25-30 goal guy who is lackluster defensively and at best average defensively. Sadly he just was never going to bounce back in Vancouver and it was obvious he needed a change in scenery, personally I think he will bounce back but we shall see.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Put him with Huberdeau. They both have the skillset the other needs.
This is what I want to see as well. Kuzmenko has the offensive talent to be a top line winger and a right handed shot to boot. He could get the most out of Hube and finally get the PP rolling.

Be hilarious if Kuzmenko helps the Flames sneak into 8th spot and sets up a Kuzmenko/Lindholm first round matchup. :sarcasm:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
If Kuzmenko and Kuznetsov are both on the roster, I suggest we call Kuzmenko "Kuzko" and Kuznetsov "Kuzy".

giphy.gif

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
This is what I want to see as well. Kuzmenko has the offensive talent to be a top line winger and a right handed shot to boot. He could get the most out of Hube and finally get the PP rolling.

Be hilarious if Kuzmenko helps the Flames sneak into 8th spot and sets up a Kuzmenko/Lindholm first round matchup. :sarcasm:

Who are you reminded of when you see this pass?

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
They need some things to go right but there is a real chance for a home run. How would Huberdeau look with a 39g scorer on the other wing? Not a slam dunk like any trade, but I like this a lot.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

We traded for Crozmenko??!!

They need some things to go right but there is a real chance for a home run. How would Huberdeau look with a 39g scorer on the other wing? Not a slam dunk like any trade, but I like this a lot.

I saw a suggestion for a Huberdeau - Sharangovich - Kuzmenko line. Honestly speaking, that's an interesting experiment to me.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
We traded for Crozmenko??!!

I saw a suggestion for a Pelletier line. Honestly speaking, that's an interesting experiment to me.

Sharangovich at center makes the most sense on the short term. I dont see them breaking up Backs/Coleman and I think they want Zary to have a full year under his belt plus a training camp before switching to center. Only concern is Sharangovich's faceoffs playing a top 6 center role. Pelletier and Rooney are going to play a factor after the break as well. Huberdeau - Sharangovich - Kuzmenko - Kadri - Raz hopefully will be able to do some damage on the PP.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Sharangovich at center makes the most sense on the short term. I dont see them breaking up Backs/Coleman and I think they want Zary to have a full year under his belt plus a training camp before switching to center. Only concern is Sharangovich's faceoffs playing a top 6 center role. Pelletier and Rooney are going to play a factor after the break as well. Huberdeau - Sharangovich - Kuzmenko - Kadri - Raz hopefully will be able to do some damage on the PP.

IMO Huberdeau - Sharangovich - Kuzmenko would be an offense focused 3rd line, not a top 6 line. Backs and Kadri would anchor the top 6 lines, even if those pairings are two vets to a rookie.

But if that line quickly develops chemistry to be able to be elevated to a 2nd line calibre line that wouldn't get cratered in, I wouldn't complain.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
IMO Huberdeau - Sharangovich - Kuzmenko would be an offense focused 3rd line, not a top 6 line. Backs and Kadri would anchor the top 6 lines, even if those pairings are two vets to a rookie.

But if that line quickly develops chemistry to be able to be elevated to a 2nd line calibre line that wouldn't get cratered in, I wouldn't complain.
Call it whatever you want, but that line would see top centers and defense pairings purely based on who is on it. It has most of the Flames offensive threats.

Reactions: Fig

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I'm fine with Kuzmenko as a trial. He's basically James Neal in my mind. Good shot, but just floats around doing nothing, with his blade in the air waiting for the perfect sauce pass.

Cool, now I hate him more than the Oilers.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Cool, now I hate him more than the Oilers.
He hasn't blamed his stick manufacturer for his shitty play. He has lots of talent. Even before tocchet he was relying on insane efficiency for his goals. I like the player though.

Reactions: Boomstick

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
As long as he is gone by next draft then fine, ideally he is gone sooner. Terrible player and the exact definition of a player you don't win with.

Doesn't help he is an awful human as well. Boost up his value, find some dummy GM we can dump him on and move on.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00