Andreas Johnsson, A Potential Cinderella Story

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
My expectations for him as a player tapered off dramatically after that hit he took. I expected him to dominate the AHL from the get-go. I suspect to this day he still hears footsteps when he's on the ice.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
My expectations for him as a player tapered off dramatically after that hit he took. I expected him to dominate the AHL from the get-go. I suspect to this day he still hears footsteps when he's on the ice.

Why would you expect him to dominate AHL? There are very few players coming of Europe dominate AHL

I am very impressed by his progress. He has consistently put up numbers in every League and team he has played for. That's the key, consistency

This year, I expect him to take on a bigger role without Leipsec and potentially Kappy not being there

He's one of my fav prospect. I am looking forward to seeing in AHL fully adjusted in North America

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Lots of players have great seasons in the AHL.

Well, duh? :laugh:

Well, what do you mean by dominate? I take that to mean a player is above their competition, which would mean you shouldn't be at that level, you should be at a higher one.

I don't really think you can have a dominant AHL season because you'll be called up after a week or month of dominating. You don't see prospects throwing up 100 point seasons in the AHL, so that doesn't seem like a realistic expectation.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
Well, what do you mean by dominate? I take that to mean a player is above their competition, which would mean you shouldn't be at that level, you should be at a higher one.

I don't really think you can have a dominant AHL season because you'll be called up after a week or month of dominating. You don't see prospects throwing up 100 point seasons in the AHL, so that doesn't seem like a realistic expectation.

You're being pedantic. It was pretty obvious what I was inferring, but whatever.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
Why would you expect him to dominate AHL? There are very few players coming of Europe dominate AHL

I am very impressed by his progress. He has consistently put up numbers in every League and team he has played for. That's the key, consistency

This year, I expect him to take on a bigger role without Leipsec and potentially Kappy not being there

He's one of my fav prospect. I am looking forward to seeing in AHL fully adjusted in North America

As he was compared to Zetterberg and had posted similar stats while in Sweden it could be expected that he might have been of Zetterberg quality when hitting N.A. at a similar age. Zetterberg went to the NHL immediately and put up decent numbers so he probably would have dominated the A.

If he was a true possible NHLer/star he should have been capable of more last year rather than struggling to assimilate to the A. He's soon going to be 23 so the clock is ticking.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
As he was compared to Zetterberg and had posted similar stats while in Sweden it could be expected that he might have been of Zetterberg quality when hitting N.A. at a similar age. Zetterberg went to the NHL immediately and put up decent numbers so he probably would have dominated the A.

If he was a true possible NHLer/star he should have been capable of more last year rather than struggling to assimilate to the A. He's soon going to be 23 so the clock is ticking.

Just because he was putting up numbers like Z doesn't make him Zetterburg. I would caution you with those type of expectations. I never claimed he'll be a star, just that he has a potential to be a good player. Scoring 20 goals in first year in AHL Is a good start.

Just because he struggled to get plugged into AHL doesn't mean he's a bust either. On the contrary, the clock is not ticking. I don't remember Zetterburg coming of a concussion off season.

AHL is actually harder to play than NHL. AHL has a lot of prospects and players who couldn't cut it to NHL. NHL players understand structure, situations, skilled and they are in NHL for a reason. A lot of players have said in the past that NHL is actually easier to play, just much more competitive and faster

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Andreas was terrific and whoever expected him to dominate are just saying that because they are upset another prospect is working out for the Leafs.
20 goal rookie season and the great thing is that the clock is not ticking. We have another great prospect who came off a very good rookie season.

Let the haters be upset!

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
bringing this thread from the dead because i said he was ranked #3 on my prospect list last year and every lawled at me
WINS AHL playoff MVP

can i get some respect thanks Lol , P.S Cinderella story confirmed

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
bringing this thread from the dead because i said he was ranked #3 on my prospect list last year and every lawled at me
WINS AHL playoff MVP

For leafs he'd probably be 1 .

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
WINS AHL playoff MVP

wait are you serious? everyone knew he was well on his way to being a NHL player. if he wasn't ranked 3 by others he was right there in the top 5.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
WINS AHL playoff MVP

“Pat on the back” there, there. You did good.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The 7th round pick can be a little misleading in regards to his talent. He clearly dropped over health concerns. Liljegren is the same, although he stil went in the first round.,

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
The 7th round pick can be a little misleading in regards to his talent. He clearly dropped over health concerns. Liljegren is the same, although he stil went in the first round.,

not really he was a 7th round pick whether his talent was more than that is irrelevant if we were the only ones to do due diligence on his health issues

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
He was a PPG player this year in the AHL, at the same age Zetterberg was a PPG player ... in the SEL during the lock-out.

Just kidding, Zetterberg was a year old during the lock-out, he was 24 not 23.

Zetterberg is bigger, and joined a powerhouse, veteran Wings team.

But throwing aside Zetterberg, I'd say his work in the AHL is complete.

Someone is going to have to step up next year to fill his skates.

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
My expectations for Johnsson and Kapanen for that matter is to play a full 82 game NHL season.
To earn the trust of the coach and find themselves able to play in various Babcock related situations.
Never mind 20 + goals/ 50 points whatever. That happens as it happens or not.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
My expectations for Johnsson and Kapanen for that matter is to play a full 82 game NHL season.
To earn the trust of the coach and find themselves able to play in various Babcock related situations.
Never mind 20 + goals/ 50 points whatever. That happens as it happens or not.
Babcock already used Johnsson on the 2nd PP unit, on the PK, and on the 1st line when Hyman was in the box for Fighting - I think he's already earned the trust of the coach (as has Kapanen).

I think Babs loves Johnsson's tenacity and drive, and will be thrilled to ice a 3rd line featuring guys like him and Kap, rather than vets that he needs to shelter like JVR and Bozak.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Babcock already used Johnsson on the 2nd PP unit, on the PK, and on the 1st line when Hyman was in the box for Fighting - I think he's already earned the trust of the coach (as has Kapanen).

I think Babs loves Johnsson's tenacity and drive, and will be thrilled to ice a 3rd line featuring guys like him and Kap, rather than vets that he needs to shelter like JVR and Bozak.
That's a great start. Do it for a full season and beyond.
We will see if the Leafs re-sign Komarov or other vets and go from there.

Reactions: IBeL34f

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad