Andreas Borgman - Thriving and developing w/upside.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I think he will be in our top 4 next year. We know he can play bottom pairing, time to see if he can challenge for a top 4 spot.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Our 3rd best dman this year IMO.
He's playing limited numbers getting as sheltered as you can possibly get, and doing a decent job. He doesn't play either special teams. If that's our third best dman, we'd have the worst defensive group by far.

I'm not trashing the guy here, just pointing out that there's limits to what we can extrapolate about the guy given that he's playing such a small role, against the easiest competition in the league.

Vintage93

Apr 2, 2006
Toronto
The Borg is a legend. He lays the body, can skate, and looks like a turtle with that helmet. What more do you want from your last pairing guy?

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
He's playing limited numbers getting as sheltered as you can possibly get, and doing a decent job. He doesn't play either special teams. If that's our third best dman, we'd have the worst defensive group by far.

I'm not trashing the guy here, just pointing out that there's limits to what we can extrapolate about the guy given that he's playing such a small role, against the easiest competition in the league.
I saw him live in Detroit ,that nite him a Z were the 2 best d on the ice for the leafs ,true somebody has to play against 2nd 3rd lines ,but just remember there are 16 teams in the league with arguably only 1 solid line ,so other defenseman are so called sheltered too ,his curve is a solid nhl player ,hes ahead of carrick and pushing gardiner ,because he can take and deliver a puck in traffic , just a nice find

Reactions: 54thecup

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Zaitsev
Borgman _______
Dermott Carrick
Liljegren

If Ozhiganov is a younger faster Polak, we are set next year.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
In 2 Years...

Rielly - _____
Dermott - - - Zaitsev
Borgman - Liljegren

Leafs acquire a top pairing guy to play with Mo,

Dermott takes over for Jake, younger, cheaper and I hope much more reliable

Liljegren breaks into the league with a 3 year vet (who is still only 24) and is a stay at home brick wall
I like it. But seeing as the reports say Liljegren is already doing really well in the AHL that line up might be for next season already.

We do need that other top pairing d-man. Time for the brains in management to get to work.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I honestly believe that Ozhiganov will have a Zaitsev-level impact. He is a different type of player, probably more similar to Borgman actuallly, but has had a lessened role this year due to new commitments to players by CSKA. He has historically been a very solid player by all accounts in the last 3 years.

I think his situation is similar to the Leafs 4C position. They dont play Aaltonen over Moore because Moore is older and signed as a UFA, but in Ozzy's case it is Marchenko.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I honestly believe that Ozhiganov will have a Zaitsev-level impact. He is a different type of player, probably more similar to Borgman actuallly, but has had a lessened role this year due to new commitments to players by CSKA. He has historically been a very solid player by all accounts in the last 3 years.

I think his situation is similar to the Leafs 4C position. They dont play Aaltonen over Moore because Moore is older and signed as a UFA, but in Ozzy's case it is Marchenko.

Marchenko and Ozhiganov are the same age, are they not?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
His skillset looks huge, and I think once he's fully acclimatized to the smaller ice and the NHL he may take off.

Looks to have a great first pass, and appears to think the game efficiently, and he isn't a smurf.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I like it. But seeing as the reports say Liljegren is already doing really well in the AHL that line up might be for next season already.

We do need that other top pairing d-man. Time for the brains in management to get to work.

If thats the case, I'd love to play Liljegren with Hainsey. Playing with a Vet like Ron will speed up his development

Rielly - - -_____
Borgman - Zaitsev
Hainsey - Liljegren

Reactions: johnny_rudeboy

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I see by some posts, there is still obsession with this # 1 Dmen. The saviour of all blemishes on the team.
Looking forward to 2019/20 with Reilly, Borgman and Dermot at LHD, Zaitsev, Liljegen (and someone else). Looks like potentially good and very good cost effective group.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Good player getting less credit than is due. Many people and poster underrate him. I figure the praise bar will be raise by seasons end.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I've been impressed with Borgman. Has done very well Ina bottom pairing role with us as he can make a clean outlet pass, plays a physical game, and shows glimpses of offensive skill. I remember him pulling off some slick moves to get a few rush chances this year. If he can do this without being sheltered in the future, Vuori and Bergman will have hit a home run for us.

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
He’s showing more and more poise with the puck when looking to exit his zone. A shifty move here, holding onto the puck for a half second longer before a clean outlet pass are areas where he’s getting a lot better.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
He's getting better every game, he gets completely sheltered usage but he doesn't play with a self-imposed leash skating it out or dumping it in. It's refreshing sometimes to see a d-man that won't throw the home-run pass every shift they are on the ice.

But he was brutally bad earlier on in the year, some horrible defensive reads and turnovers in his own zone. His biggest weakness to me is still exiting the zone with pressure on the fore-check. Occasionally, he takes the extra half second when pressure is already there and it can lead to prolonged zone time if the puck is turned over. Hopefully that comes with time, he needs to pick his moments where he is more decisive and has the ability to be more poised.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON

Can't like this enough.
You almost always bring clarity to a foggy outlook!

Reactions: Nithoniniel

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Made a beautiful play coming from behind the net on the right side of the ice to side step 2 players right beside the net and get a clean exit off either in last game or the one before, one of my most impressed moments from him this season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad