Injury Report: Andersen

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site

Skating full time with the team. I also hope he goes on conditioning to AHL first. He hasn’t played in like 3 month…and would be good to test this blood clot situation in not an NHL game.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

Skating full time with the team. I also hope he goes on conditioning to AHL first. He hasn’t played in like 3 month…and would be good to test this blood clot situation in not an NHL game.
It's a good idea in theory.

But without an affiliate, is there a local AHL medical team Andersen and Carolina trust enough for a conditioning assignment?

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
It's a good idea in theory.

But without an affiliate, is there a local AHL medical team Andersen and Carolina trust enough for a conditioning assignment?
Charlotte's goalies suck @$$ this year and have won like 3 of their last 10 games...they sure could use some help a bit, maybe mend that relationship a bit?!?!?!?!?!?

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I really hope I’m wrong but I just have the hardest time believing he’s going to come back from this and be an effective starter in the nhl. I’m not a doctor and I really hope I’m wrong

Reactions: hblueridgegal

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I really hope I’m wrong but I just have the hardest time believing he’s going to come back from this and be an effective starter in the nhl. I’m not a doctor and I really hope I’m wrong

"effective starter in the nhl.;

I view this differently than an orthopedic injury.

Presuming the condition has been completely solved and he no longer has blood clots and is off thinners, then we get a rested Freddie back in time for the playoffs. It's very encouraging that the Doctors are letting him practice.

btw: there is no reason to think that his hand/eye capability has been impacted either.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I have no knowledge of this condition. Does anyone have any insight into how this does affect playing? My interest is really that do you think this condition is maybe what has caused Andersen to be really cautious or not "100%" for much of his career?

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I have no knowledge of this condition. Does anyone have any insight into how this does affect playing? My interest is really that do you think this condition is maybe what has caused Andersen to be really cautious or not "100%" for much of his career?
I think this is something that would have been caught previously in his career if it had come up, either in symptoms or in preseason physical screening.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I think this is something that would have been caught previously in his career if it had come up, either in symptoms or in preseason physical screening.
In that video Chip posted, he says he only learned about it a few days before the announcement. It was very clearly something new the docs found, and told him that he needed to shut down hockey and go for immediate treatment.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
In that video Chip posted, he says he only learned about it a few days before the announcement. It was very clearly something new the docs found, and told him that he needed to shut down hockey and go for immediate treatment.
Yes. And they'd be checking most players for any unusual bruising or swelling as well as bloodwork as part of standard clearance to play by the medical staff.

Clotting issues are not something any athletic medical staff is going to overlook checking. And when you combine that with cut risks in hockey, they are going to be more vigilant about checking for any of those issues, either over clotting or lack of clotting.

The fact Andersen had pain, they found it, and they shut him down makes me think it's a recent medical development for Andersen. I doubt he had this last year or even before training camp this year.

Also, the fact he's been allowed off blood thinners and back on the ice leads me to believe it was an acute issue. If Andersen had a chronic blood clotting issue I doubt they would allow him back on the ice, and certainly not this season.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
According to Waddell Andersen might play next week.

I’m curious how the goalie share will be at that point?

Maybe Andersen and Kochetkov splitting?

I think they keep Martin around in case of injuries. Waive or trade Raanta?

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
According to Waddell Andersen might play next week.

I’m curious how the goalie share will be at that point?

Maybe Andersen and Kochetkov splitting?

I think they keep Martin around in case of injuries. Waive or trade Raanta?
Most likely waive Raanta unless they find someone interested. Waiving Raanta also opens up the possibility to bring him back after the deadline, which is more valuable than whatever he would bring back in a trade.

I think you have the right idea: Andersen/Kochetkov splitting down the stretch, and the hot hand gets to start the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad