Injury Report: Andersen

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
This was the latest I saw (an excerpt from 32 thoughts) that are out after 12/18:

FWIW: I'm thinking DW through his comment out there was to somewhat cool the demand from the teams that had extras. But, there still remains a number of teams desperate for better goaltending and beyond that there have new injuries that may take resources out of play.

I suspect Canes are hoping Freddie comes back but aren't banking on it. Thus, at some point a trade will be made.

Last edited:
Reactions: AD Skinner

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
It's certainly a good first step. Much like I said the last time we were false started on this a bit, we'll see how long it takes him to feel comfortable to come back if he even makes it to that step. He's been cautious in the past when returning from an injury and this is even more serious. But if he feels that's ready to even take this step given his cautious nature, it's a good sign.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
It's certainly a good first step. Much like I said the last time we were false started on this a bit, we'll see how long it takes him to feel comfortable to come back if he even makes it to that step. He's been cautious in the past when returning from an injury and this is even more serious. But if he feels that's ready to even take this step given his cautious nature, it's a good sign.
Agreed. If he's getting back on the ice, it means he's able to come off blood thinners.

And whether he returns to NHL games or not, being able to come off blood thinners enough to be allowed back on the ice is good for Freddie long-term.

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
I looked into blood clotting issues online and I severely underestimated how serious this problem was for Freddy. I don't think I had any idea that he could have died if it hadn't been caught and treated. I'm very grateful that blood thinners exist and that he got the treatment he needs. Being able to hockey again is just a plus. Science in the right hands is pretty awesome.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I don't believe he'd be allowed back playing (unsure about skating period) if he were still on blood thinners for this reason.

I know football won't allow them; I'd be surprised if hockey did.
And I'd be shocked if hockey allowed it now after the death last year.

Yeah even if you never get a skate cut (which you could never guarantee), I imagine black and blue welts is a daily occurrence for a goalie which in and of itself would be untenable on blood thinners.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Yeah even if you never get a skate cut (which you could never guarantee), I imagine black and blue welts is a daily occurrence for a goalie which in and of itself would be untenable on blood thinners.
My dad had a heart valve replacement many years ago and has been on blood thinners ever since. One day, he started experiencing a lot of pain and numbness in one of his arms...went to the ER and the dumbf*** Dr told him it was carpal tunnel and sent him home. A few hours later he couldn't move his arm anymore, it was swollen and very hard to the touch, went back to the ER and that Dr said "OH SHIT" (official diagnosis) and took him back immediately. Turns out, he had a blood vessel burst in his arm and was just bleeding out internally (still don't know how it happened). Of course then it's a race to thicken the blood so that it can be properly drained and such, because you can't just drain it while on blood thinners. Doc said if it had been maybe 2 more hours he probably would have lost the arm, as it was he still had months and months of physical therapy to get 90% use back. So yea, I don't think you could play hockey while on blood thinners because even a light hit or over-exertion could lead to a burst vessel you might not know about for hours while essentially bleeding out internally...it wouldn't even take being cut.

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
My dad had a heart valve replacement many years ago and has been on blood thinners ever since. One day, he started experiencing a lot of pain and numbness in one of his arms...went to the ER and the dumbf*** Dr told him it was carpal tunnel and sent him home. A few hours later he couldn't move his arm anymore, it was swollen and very hard to the touch, went back to the ER and that Dr said "OH SHIT" (official diagnosis) and took him back immediately. Turns out, he had a blood vessel burst in his arm and was just bleeding out internally (still don't know how it happened). Of course then it's a race to thicken the blood so that it can be properly drained and such, because you can't just drain it while on blood thinners. Doc said if it had been maybe 2 more hours he probably would have lost the arm, as it was he still had months and months of physical therapy to get 90% use back. So yea, I don't think you could play hockey while on blood thinners because even a light hit or over-exertion could lead to a burst vessel you might not know about for hours while essentially bleeding out internally...it wouldn't even take being cut.
WC - appreciate your response as it is real for me. I had a mild heart attack in Oct and as a result have hung up the skates for good. Heart is strong but not worth the risk going forward. Played in Over 50 league this past summer and into Sept. didn't feel quite right. Gassed after many shifts. Got the answer in Oct unfortunately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad