And now, let's pause...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
... and wish everybody's favourite commissioner, G. Bettman, a happy 53rd birthday!

That's why today's meeting includes the big group; Eklund leaked the fact that Jacobs sprung for a stripper-in-a-cake... after announcing that he would be increasing Bruins concessions by 7% next season.

Go Gary, it's your birthday!

sveiglar said:
... and wish everybody's favourite commissioner, G. Bettman, a happy 53rd birthday!

That's why today's meeting includes the big group; Eklund leaked the fact that Jacobs sprung for a stripper-in-a-cake... after announcing that he would be increasing Bruins concessions by 7% next season.

Go Gary, it's your birthday!

Yeah unfortunately Bill Daly was the one who jumped out of the cake...

Lawyer's and tassle's... not good!

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I wonder what Chris Chelios would say?

Comrie_fan

Nov 25, 2002
Qc
Visit site
The big question is "Do you think Bob Goodenow will give a present to Gary" and whose paid for the cake... I don't think it's Bob :) :biglaugh:

King_Brown

A Big happy birthday goes out to our boy Gary B.....WHAT UP G

DevilsFan

Jun 2, 2005
espn.go.com/nhl/news/1999/1006/100184.html

For all of you who critize Bettman, this old article I found shows that stupid owners are to blame for the majority of the leagues problems. So Happy Birthday Gary, your constituants are morons, you just stunk leading them.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
DevilsFan said:
espn.go.com/nhl/news/1999/1006/100184.html

For all of you who critize Bettman, this old article I found shows that stupid owners are to blame for the majority of the leagues problems. So Happy Birthday Gary, your constituants are morons, you just stunk leading them.
If that article reinforces anything it's that with a real pair of balls you can stand up to a player and say no to his demands. Ottawa took one for the League with Yashin (maybe because they didn't really have a choice). Then, the Isles turn around and give the big baby exactly what he wants. I would be just as happy to see that greedy SOB booted from the league and earning a fraction of what Ottawa was paying him. Unfortunately, there are a few owners who have no spine either.

Fortunately the hockey gods stuck it to the Isles - Chara and Spezza in Ottawa, and NY saddled with the worst contract in the league on a player who disappears when the games are important.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
HF2002 said:
Fortunately the hockey gods stuck it to the Isles - Chara and Spezza in Ottawa, and NY saddled with the worst contract in the league on a player who disappears when the games are important.

Nothing got "stuck" to the Isles. They got exactly what they wanted and needed out of those deals. Before Yashin, they missed the playoffs seven straight years, and were a 50 point team, with attendance in the 11,000 range. After Yashin, they've been a 90 point team, made the playoffs every single year, and attendance is around 15,000, which is the best it's been for 20 years, just a shade under what is was during the championship years.

Yes, the owner was silly in throwing such a long term deal on the table. But they made a deal with the short term in mind because that's what they needed. Happens all the time.

BTW, Yashin has had more great playoff years than poor ones. But as an Ottawa fan, you're too close to the situation to recognise that.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Are you assuming that the Islanders would NOT have made the playoffs with Chara and Spezza in the fold? Also, are you assuming that the attendance would NOT have received a spike had they made the playoffs without Yashin.

I agree that it (acquiring Yashin) hasn't been a TOTAL loss for the Islanders, but I don't think he has played THAT big of a role in A) getting the team into the playoffs and B) spiking the attendance. Perhaps the combination of acquiring Peca and Yashin played a big part in it, but at what price?

I think if you lined up 100 Islanders fans, at least 85 would want that deal back. Heck, Mike Milbury would want that deal back too!

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
hindsight is 20/20 with regards to the Yashin deal .

I dont know if theres a 7 game series v.s the Leafs to talk about .I dont know if theres a 96 point season to talk after aquiring the Peca and Yashin

as the other poster mentioned , the isles missed the playoffs 7 straight seasons during which time Milbury's hands were tied behind his back thanks to some pretty weird ownerships .

enter Wang bucks and enter two high profiled unhappy players (Yashin ,Peca) and you had a recipe for some fun .

the ''going rate'' for elite centermen at the time was around 9 mil a season .the isles gave up alot to aquire Yashin and they knew his history of holding out .So , its no wonder they wanted him locked up past his free agency age .

would I have gone 10 years @ 90 mil ? , probably not , but I would have gone at least 5 @ 45

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad