Anaheim or L.A.?

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I say ducks for the objective reason that perron is injured. I hope the hockey gods do not smite me for that, but it is probably inevitable.

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
I think we match up better with the Kings than the Ducks, so I'll take LA. It would be nice to at least win a round. Two rounds of playoffs bring in pretty solid revenue for ownership.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Why not both?:sarcasm: Hoping for multiple rounds of playoffs. Need to beat whoever we get to win it all anyway.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
Well the Sharks really don't want to win the division so this is inevitable. Every time LA and Anaheim gives a slimmer of daylight the Sharks screw it up.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
In general, if a team is this concerned about who they're going to play, they aren't likely to win the championship anyway.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Pretty decent chance the Hawks end up as the first wildcard. SJ, Anaheim, LA, and Chicago...talk about a group of death.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Sharks are not winning anything in the playoffs if:

• They don't get their health back.
  • Marleau and Couture end their slumps.
  • And DeBoer figures out how to play Nieto, Karlsson, and Wingels better than he has. Those three are not fitting into DeBoer's system (less so for Wingels). Same goes for Zubrus but DeBoer will never admit that. Nieto and Karlsson's speed over Zubrus will be needed in playoffs. If DeBoer stays, their agents probably will want a trade in the offseason, or DW uses them as trades.

Sharks are going to need everyone to play well if they are to beat the likely two teams they'll face in the 1st and 2nd round. Tomorrow's game is going to be a playoff type game.

The other problem of the Sharks is that getting their speed up has been resulting in too many giveaways. DeBoer needs to figure out how to keep the faster play but without the giveaways. Otherwise, it will be too difficult to advance past the 1st round.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
Sharks are not winning anything in the playoffs if:

• [*]They don't get their health back.
  • Marleau and Couture end their slumps.
  • And DeBoer figures out how to play Nieto, Karlsson, and Wingels better than he has. Those three are not fitting into DeBoer's system (less so for Wingels). Same goes for Zubrus but DeBoer will never admit that. Nieto and Karlsson's speed over Zubrus will be needed in playoffs. If DeBoer stays, their agents probably will want a trade in the offseason, or DW uses them as trades.

Sharks are going to need everyone to play well if they are to beat the likely two teams they'll face in the 1st and 2nd round. Tomorrow's game is going to be a playoff type game.

The other problem of the Sharks is that getting their speed up has been resulting in too many giveaways. DeBoer needs to figure out how to keep the faster play but without the giveaways. Otherwise, it will be too difficult to advance past the 1st round.

This is really the key. I think once Vlasic and Donskoi get back, a lot of the issues will improve rapidly. Vlasic is one of three defensemen we just can't replace, the other two being Martin and Burns. Donskoi is needed for the 2nd PP unit, without him, it lacks creativity. Also it would help if someone other than Haley would get called up; I understand why he was up for the Edmonton game, but beyond that there is no reason to have him up over other options.

I also think once Nieto gets healthy, that will help with reducing turnovers; I remember in past seasons Nieto was really good in the neutral zone and on zone entries.

Of course, good luck staying healthy in playoffs, especially having to play the teams we will have to play.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Y'all know what I mean.

Well honestly I didn't. It felt more like you were protecting our worries as team worries. Apologies.

Also nieto and zubrus are fine in the system. Production wise nieto is about average for his career. I know most have higher expectations and he's still young but he is what he is imo. He has marginal playmaking ability that was overblown when jumbo and havlat were the only options. Now go look at the first assist/60 metrics. Lines up with the teams playmakers right on the head.

Zubrus is perfect on the fourth line. He's smart in all three zones and can pot one now and then.

This team is built well. Losing streak or not. I mean when you have couture centering zubrus and karlsson you're gonna have a bad time. When tierney is nominally your second line center you're gonna have a bad time.

But when it's

Hertl-jumbo-pavs
Ward-marleau-nieto
Karlsson-couture-donskoi
Zubrus-tierney-wingels/spaling

It's a lot better.

I'd like to see morin get a look with tierney but its negligible.

Also demelo is on our top d pair and doesn't look terribly out of place. Polak should go up with Braun. But it's whatever.

We are seeing some effort issues but losing donskoi and vlasic was pretty big.

Donskoi is a top six player. You can't deny that. He literally makes everyone play better. You give couture two 4th liners and all of a sudden you have one productive line. You can't win like that

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think a series against LAK is almost inevitable at this point, barring a first round defeat at the hands of the Ducks.

If it's not Sharks vs Kings in round 1, it will probably be Sharks or Ducks vs Kings in round 2.

No way I could see the Kings losing to a team like Nashville or Minnesota in round 1.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
I think a series against LAK is almost inevitable at this point, barring a first round defeat at the hands of the Ducks.

If it's not Sharks vs Kings in round 1, it will probably be Sharks or Ducks vs Kings in round 2.

No way I could see the Kings losing to a team like Nashville or Minnesota in round 1.

I could see them losing to Nashville, certainly. The Preds have been one of the hotter teams since the all star break, IIRC. Also, there certainly still exists a possibility that Chicago will end up as the top wild card if they continue their recent slide. I could EASILY see LA losing to Chicago if they meet in the first round.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I could see them losing to Nashville, certainly. The Preds have been one of the hotter teams since the all star break, IIRC. Also, there certainly still exists a possibility that Chicago will end up as the top wild card if they continue their recent slide. I could EASILY see LA losing to Chicago if they meet in the first round.

I don't trust Nashville's goaltending, Rinne stinks anymore and was not very good last year in the playoffs either.

I do think they'd be very unlucky to draw Chicago in the first round if that winds up happening, and Chicago is the best chance of them going out in the first round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad