Anaheim or L.A.?

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
In all likelihood we'll be playing one of these two in the first round, so who would you prefer? Anaheim's been lights out the last few months but L.A. has the playoff pedigree, and that #1C/#1D combo always scares the hell out of me.

And if possible, please refrain from the "it all means nothing once the playoffs start" responses. Trying to encourage some debate and analysis here. :D

Last edited:

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
In all likelihood we'll be playing one of these two in the first round, so who would you prefer? Anaheim's been lights out the last few months but L.A. has the playoff pedigree, and that #1C/#1D combo always scares the hell out of me.

And if possible, try to refrain from the "it all means nothing once the playoffs start" responses, trying to encourage some debate and analysis here. :D

This will probably sound a bit crazy, but Anaheim, and here's why (as I've explained before).

Anaheim is the most likely to beat us in my eyes, and so why in the world would we want them in the first round? Because we don't want them in the second round. If we beat Anaheim in the first round more than likely we get LA in the second which I am very confident the Sharks will really be motivated for. I really cannot see the Sharks letting LA beat them after the embarassment, they are going to go all in for that round.

If they go all in against LA in the first round, they will very likely have a lull afterward, and Anaheim will stomp us. Beat Anaheim, then LA, and hopefully just getting to the conference finals will be enough motivation to eliminate that post LA hangover. I think the Hawks are vulnerable this year, and I think the Sharks can beat them (assuming they make it to the finals).

So essentially, the likely route we would take is Anaheim > LA > Hawks > Caps. The only team that really scares me there is Anaheim, so lets get that done and over with right off the bat.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The team may be able to get the jump on Anaheim with the way their regular season schedule ends. If they start the playoffs on a Wednesday with Anaheim, the Ducks will have finished the year with a back-to-back in Colorado and Washington. Two days off between after going back across the country may be an advantage.

I don't think there's much of a difference between playing either team. Although, if I had to pick one, it'd probably be Anaheim. I don't think they're as good as people think they are.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Doesn't matter. Gotta beat the best to be the best.

I agree, it's more about what is best for the Sharks strategy wise, not avoiding any particular team (which seems pretty unavoidable). I don't think it's going to matter a ton, but if I had a choice I'd take Anaheim first is all. I also agree that Anaheim is playing well above their ability right now, and I suspect they may limp their way into the playoffs in a slump. Still, even so, I give them a better shot at beating us that LA.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
I want the Kings first but think it will be the Ducks.

PF's right, Ducks have a brutal end to their season - 7 out of 11 on the road. We may be able to catch them at the right time, especially if Perron's out.

Heck, maybe we can pass them with that schedule.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
According to the peanut gallery the Sharks are a bubble team despite being 1 point behind the super elite Ducks.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Kings are always scary good in the postseason and the Ducks just look like an easier match up. Also, they might have peeked a little early so that could be a good thing for the Sharks.

Mar 12, 2008
SF Bay Area
Perron is week to week with that shoulder injury. I cant really see him being ready for Game 1 in three weeks. I agree with Hockeyball too. Anaheim first because as fans, we know they will put every ounce of effort in erasing the Kings stigma of two yrs ago. Plus, very little travel in the first round unless we are division champs. After what I saw last night, I for sure would like to see LA play Nashville...plus that travel..

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
We can beat both these two teams but I don't know who I would prefer to play against on the first round. Anaheim doesn't have number one defenseman and their goalie-situation can work for our advantage but there is still something that I don't like. Maybe it is that one of my friend is huge Ducks fan and my other friend (Who is Maple Leafs fan) is huge Ducks bandwagoner if they are going to play against us and I really would hate to lose that series even more than against Kings because of that. Of course it would be so sweet if we would beat Ducks on first round. Also I think that on paper our roster is better than Ducks roster but the game is played on the ice not on paper.

Kings on the other hand would be interesting matchup against us because I don't think their roster is as good as it was on 2014 and our roster is better than it was on 2014. But I hate the fact the that we have to play against Doughty and Kopitar and their goalie is Quick who is one of the best goalies of the league. I think Kings has better high-end talent than Ducks but Ducks might have better depth. Also I think our players really would give it all against Kings and would want to have some revenge what happened two years ago.

But now when I have thinked about it. I would want to play against Ducks on the first round because I think our key players isn't as likely to get injured and then we might have more healthy roster on the second round against Kings/wildcard if they manage to beat Kings. But overall it doesn't matter much. We have to beat everyone if we want the Cup.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Hell, it's possible that the team may not see LA in the second round between the Sharks and Ducks. The Kings didn't beat the Preds in regulation in three tries and the Preds got the only regulation decision in their favor. I wouldn't bank on them beating the Preds in a 7 game series.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
The Ducks are so air tight on defense that every game will be a grinder but nothing worth having is easy to attain.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Hell, it's possible that the team may not see LA in the second round between the Sharks and Ducks. The Kings didn't beat the Preds in regulation in three tries and the Preds got the only regulation decision in their favor. I wouldn't bank on them beating the Preds in a 7 game series.

Preds are bad match up for any of the Cali teams since its like looking in a mirror.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The Ducks are so air tight on defense that every game will be a grinder but nothing worth having is easy to attain.

It's also why they need to get lucky and finish that series as early as possible. Ducks may not be as good as I think they are but they are definitely a quality defensive team that will be physical. It will be a taxing series, no doubt.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Preds are bad match up for any of the Cali teams since its like looking in a mirror.

It's tough to really know where the Sharks match up with Nashville just because the first time was w/o Couture and the second one they obviously weren't ready to play. May be poor excuses but I don't think either game was a good indication of where the Sharks are at as a team but still Nashville proved they would be a formidable opponent.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Anaheim & LA are very different teams and both would bring different (and big) challenges to the Sharks but because of the way LA plays I'd think avoiding them for as long as possible would be ideal.

Once again the West has the better teams and getting through them isn't going to be easy but with some luck (and health) the Sharks have a real chance to go deep this year.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Perron is week to week with that shoulder injury. I cant really see him being ready for Game 1 in three weeks. I agree with Hockeyball too. Anaheim first because as fans, we know they will put every ounce of effort in erasing the Kings stigma of two yrs ago. Plus, very little travel in the first round unless we are division champs. After what I saw last night, I for sure would like to see LA play Nashville...plus that travel..

Good point. Was already leaning toward Anaheim but this might solidify it.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
LA is going to whoop Nashville

But so would Anaheim and San Jose. Their #1C is Ryan Johansen, he will get murked by Getzlaf, Kopitar, or Thornton.

I'm gonna say Anaheim but both teams are really tough matchups

EmergencyExit

Aug 9, 2011
Toronto
It's been between one or the other for a while now so I don't care too much. But I'll vote Anaheim. For starters their goal differential is +18 vs LA's +33.

LA: CF% 55.8 (1st),FF% 55.7 (1st)
ANA:CF% 53 (3rd), FF% 53.7 (2nd)

Assuming these are good metrics for judging a team it seems they're both pretty close. I have my doubts about how deep the Ducks really are personally. Especially if Vatanen is out long term (currently DTD with "chin").

At the same time I think the Preds match up well against the Kings. They could beat them or at least wear them down. Assuming we make it past Anaheim it creates some interesting potential scenarios in round 2.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Anaheim & LA are very different teams and both would bring different (and big) challenges to the Sharks but because of the way LA plays I'd think avoiding them for as long as possible would be ideal.

Once again the West has the better teams and getting through them isn't going to be easy but with some luck (and health) the Sharks have a real chance to go deep this year.

Great, two things the Sharks have never ever had. :laugh:

If we win round one, we'll have to play the other in round two anyway. Both good teams. I guess I'll take Anaheim first.

Also: I wouldn't be shocked to see Chicago be an early out.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00