Post-Game Talk: Anaheim loses game 7 2-1

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
I'm already over it. Considering how the vast majority of this fan base had written off game 7 as a foregone conclusion, I'm a little surprised by the level of meltdown here. I don't mean that to be a snarky shot at anyone, the reactions are perfectly warranted, just an observation. With these playoffs, I was ready to be surprised by this team, as I was when they turned the season around and won the division, all bets were off with this group. I also felt that this was the most even field heading into the playoffs that we had seen in many years, so our chances weren't quite what they were last year when they really only had to overcome one team that was as good or better. But when the injuries hit like they did (yet again), my optimism dwindled, games 1 and 2 confirmed that even if we survived this series, there was no way in hell that this group was going through three other strong teams.

As for blowing up the team, I dunno, after sleeping on some of the ideas being thrown around, I'm at a loss as to the best way to proceed. Moving a core piece or two and bringing in some fresh blood might be needed. A coaching change is a must, not that I blame or dislike Bruce, but this is a stigma that the team has now, and they need a new perspective. Murray is equal parts good and bad IMO, I'd like to see him go asap, but it won't happen... unfortunately.

I look at the Sharks and what went on with them in the last few years, and their very good, long time coach was on the bubble for their choke jobs. Their player leadership was in question, and all the talk was about semi-blowing it up and "fixing" the core. But they let the coach go when another good one was available, kept Jumbo and Patty (not that there was much choice after re-signing them), took the C from both guys and gave it to Pavelski, tinkered with the dead weight and shored up their net, while letting the young guys grow into bigger roles, and now they dispatched LA and look primed to make a deep run. Maybe we just need to follow a similar course of action, rather than big, sweeping changes.

All I know is that this will be a difficult summer as a fan knowing that Murray is sitting there grinding his teeth, with so many RFAs/UFAs to consider, and now this huge weight of change for the sake of change looming over him, that's never a great place to be making decisions from.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
^ I agree, but that was still painful to watch last nite.

It certainly was, but more because they were so close to coming back all the way down to the final seconds. A blowout would have been painful in a different way, but this was really a game they deserved to win, which is a first in this string of game 7 losses.

Game 6 was tougher to watch imo, we were outclassed.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I think it's a bit premature to follow the Sharks model, considering they have two rounds to still 'choke'.

Why follow "a model" in the first place? Why can't we create something of our own, why do we have to parrot whatever supposed top teams are doing?

At first, Murray wanted us to be the Kings, so he made a massive roster overhaul during the 2014 offseason to do so. Look where that got us. Then Bob wanted us to play like the Hawks, so he made another massive roster overhaul last offseason. Look where that got us. Instead of making massive moves for the hell of it, why can't we just go with whatever playstyle works for the Ducks?

Oct 18, 2011
i am actually hopeful they finally blow this thing up, you can't just accept this like the sharks did. i mean yeah they bounced back this year but unlike us they had some young forwards ready to take over and joe also aged well and seemed to eventually accept his role, what is the definition of insanity? murray can't do one of his half assed shakeups, fowler/getzlaf/perry have been involved in every single one of these meltdowns, 1 or 2 of them have to go

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i am actually hopeful they finally blow this thing up, you can't just accept this like the sharks did. i mean yeah they bounced back this year but unlike us they had some young forwards ready to take over and joe also aged well and seemed to eventually accept his role, what is the definition of insanity? murray can't do one of his half assed shakeups, fowler/getzlaf/perry have been involved in every single one of these meltdowns, 1 or 2 of them have to go

start with getzlaf and perry. they can't perform in the postseason and shown they can't win when it counts

ship them out and get some good young pieces in return while bringing in a couple vets and make it a priority to strengthen the D. i wouldn't mind seeing fowler shipped off for some assets either. give kesler the C and make lindholm and cogliano A's

evomacky

we heff no effor
Jan 7, 2014
Anaheim, CA
Bob has to wait and see who wins the cup before deciding on a model to follow.

thats the thing though - the team's coaching and management have been reactionary the past 4 game 7 losses.

they should define the identity of the team and stick with it. enough with this *mee too* mentality.

define the team, spend the money to get it done and deal with it.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
thats the thing though - the team's coaching and management have been reactionary the past 4 game 7 losses.

they should define the identity of the team and stick with it. enough with this *mee too* mentality.

define the team, spend the money to get it done and deal with it.

I guess I should have added a smiley. Yes, I agree with you and have said the same thing for the last couple of years. We've had strong teams. We should have built on our strengths and made other teams deal with us instead of trying to be like somebody else.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
CI is the real curse :sarcasm:

Sad-Animal-Meme-Sorry-04.jpg

evomacky

we heff no effor
Jan 7, 2014
Anaheim, CA
I guess I should have added a smiley. Yes, I agree with you and have said the same thing for the last couple of years. We've had strong teams. We should have built on our strengths and made other teams deal with us instead of trying to be like somebody else.

i know i missed a :) on my post as well.

but yeah, enough of the copycat. by the time the management copies the system of the cup winning team, guess what? so does everybody else. that reactionary mentality is what killed our WCF last year against the hawks. BB could not adjust one basic matchup - the Kesler vs Toews line. Q pulled JT every time Kesbae was on the ice, and BB simply let Kesler and his line finish their change and then rotate. by the time they go back to the bech, guess what? Toews was back on the ice.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm already over it. Considering how the vast majority of this fan base had written off game 7 as a foregone conclusion, I'm a little surprised by the level of meltdown here. I don't mean that to be a snarky shot at anyone, the reactions are perfectly warranted, just an observation. With these playoffs, I was ready to be surprised by this team, as I was when they turned the season around and won the division, all bets were off with this group. I also felt that this was the most even field heading into the playoffs that we had seen in many years, so our chances weren't quite what they were last year when they really only had to overcome one team that was as good or better. But when the injuries hit like they did (yet again), my optimism dwindled, games 1 and 2 confirmed that even if we survived this series, there was no way in hell that this group was going through three other strong teams.

As for blowing up the team, I dunno, after sleeping on some of the ideas being thrown around, I'm at a loss as to the best way to proceed. Moving a core piece or two and bringing in some fresh blood might be needed. A coaching change is a must, not that I blame or dislike Bruce, but this is a stigma that the team has now, and they need a new perspective. Murray is equal parts good and bad IMO, I'd like to see him go asap, but it won't happen... unfortunately.

I look at the Sharks and what went on with them in the last few years, and their very good, long time coach was on the bubble for their choke jobs. Their player leadership was in question, and all the talk was about semi-blowing it up and "fixing" the core. But they let the coach go when another good one was available, kept Jumbo and Patty (not that there was much choice after re-signing them), took the C from both guys and gave it to Pavelski, tinkered with the dead weight and shored up their net, while letting the young guys grow into bigger roles, and now they dispatched LA and look primed to make a deep run. Maybe we just need to follow a similar course of action, rather than big, sweeping changes.

All I know is that this will be a difficult summer as a fan knowing that Murray is sitting there grinding his teeth, with so many RFAs/UFAs to consider, and now this huge weight of change for the sake of change looming over him, that's never a great place to be making decisions from.
Last night being as close as it was, at least for me just makes the effort in game 6 all the more infuriating.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
i fully hold getz/perry/leaders responsible for this loss but there has been a question i have had since our 1st G7 loss....does BB "system" not translate to a PO game/s?...I also dont think our D as a whole is built for the PO's.

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
I'm getting used to this. Three years ago I was pretty desolate when we lost to the kings. Today I'm just kinda bummed. I'd like Neal to drive off a cliff but other than that I'm indifferent to the Preds. The team plays Whatever hockey and I'm watching from the Whatever section.

This. I'm not even that bummed though, beauty of lowered expectations.
Frees up my weekends in May to go outside and enjoy the weather instead of watching them flail around until another game 6/7.

Someone needs to shank James Neal in the taint.

rmarion

Jun 2, 2007
Unbelievable :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

it took me 16 hours before I could open up any hockey threads.... I still haven't listen to my Sirus NHL station....

they are such a GREAT team who cannot close out a series...

Oh well......

GO DUCKS!!!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad