Speculation: Anaheim Ducks rebuild ideas. Remember Anaheim has 50 million to spend in 2022

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Personally, in this case of Anaheim's, they should take in the dumbest expiring contracts with sweeteners to improve the rebuild process going forward such as a team giving up as many draft picks with the stupid contract(s).
We'll use Tyler Johnson as an example.

Anaheim:
Tyler Johnson
1st 2022
1st 2023
2nd 2021

Tampa:
3rd 2022

This allows Tampa to free up some salary and flexibility amongst the team. Anaheim rebuilds, drafts and develop prospects.

But I also believe they should trade Gibson to a contending NHL team in need of a starting goaltender. I was thinking Colorado, but looks to be Grubauer bounced back and found his way. Maybe Ottawa.
Zero chance of Julien BriseBois surrendering 2 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick to move Tyler Johnson, And Johnson isn't waiving for high taxed California so he can lose a lot of money. It was already mentioned that he wont waive for a high taxed State.

milehigh11

Mar 4, 2014
Mile High State
Yah, keep dreaming. Kraken won't take on a horrible contract for a bottom 6er whitout at least a 1st + A grade prospect coming with it.

They can get Landeskog to be the face of their franchise, not a terrible bottom 6 player being paid as a top6 guy

Pretty sure Landeskog is happy to be in Colorado as he didnt want to be traded after our horrible year and wanted to be the solution. Now that we are good and built for the now and the future and plus his top line mates are okay to play with :)

Copenhagen91

Jan 28, 2016
Hey I'm not a Tampa fan at all but it happens every single offseason lol... rival fans always assume Tampa will have to give up a kings ransom in order to open cap space and then it never ever happens... I guarantee it will happen again and rival fans on here once again will be livid!
Just ignore that poster. Hasn’t got a clue about anything

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
We can add this thread into the yearly offseason thread someone makes assuming Tampa will be screwed now and will have to trade away top guys or attach top prospects/1sts to players in order to make cap room...

It's not gonna happen... a team will acquire some of their mid level guys for a reasonable return and rival fans on here will lose their minds again.. it happens every single year yet people still think every year it will be different

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Pretty sure Landeskog is happy to be in Colorado as he didnt want to be traded after our horrible year and wanted to be the solution. Now that we are good and built for the now and the future and plus his top line mates are okay to play with :)
Pretty sure Landeskog is a UFA, and COL won't be able to afford his 9M$ price tag, espexially if SEA offers him 10

Reactions: YP44

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
Pretty sure Landeskog is a UFA, and COL won't be able to afford his 9M$ price tag, espexially if SEA offers him 10

So they won't take horrible contract without sweetener, instead they will just sign their own horrible contract for free?

sunsetsuperhuman

Mar 9, 2018
Anaheim is also traditionally a budget team, there's no guarantee they'll spend to cap especially since the team is in a rebuild.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I'll give this a shot. Not a Ducks fan so I'll probably get roasted by Anaheim fans for 1 reason and all other fan bases for other reasons - but that's why HFboards exist I think.

1 - Anaheim is 3 seasons away from being a serious contender (this is my opinion based on where they are right now). All my suggestions are predicated on that assumption 2023/24 season being the time to peak.

2 - Trade for Eric Johnson and the Avs #1 (2021) for Future Considerations (7th round pick, whatever) - Provides cap relief for the Avs and the contract expires by the time the Ducks are in a position to compete. Gives the Ducks another 1st and 3 years for that pick to develop with the Ducks competetive window. I know he has a NMC, but I think he sees the writing on the wall in Colorado.

3 - Trade for Tyler Johnson and Eric Cernak for Ducks 2021 2nd round pick - TJ can add something to the Ducks line up but realistically the value is in the Cernak, a 23 year old RHD that can play on a top pair or anchor a 2nd pair.

4 - Stay away from UFA's this off season - the cap moving forward will open up other opportunities like third party retention for additional picks. It could also open up chances to trade for players that their current team can't keep - ie: Schmidt to Vancouver for a 3rd or Toews to Colorado for 2 x 2nds.

5 - In the 2022/23 off season when you have the most cap look to add complementary pieces during FA. By complementary I mean players that fill important roles (PKer or face off person) but are not expensive 1st line players, by this point the organization should have an idea what areas they need to improve in. Some suggestions of free agents (I know they won't all be availalbe) Mikheyev, Nichushkin, Paul, Lazar, Sturm ...

6 - 2023 pre-season once again address the needs of the team, but potentiall look to add "that misssing piece". Current free agents I would consider Tarasenko, JT Miller, Klefbom, Dumba.....

7 - Resign Rakell and Lindholm veterans are important for playoff success. Try to find a way to move on from Silfverberg and Manson for picks/prospects

8 - Draft Beniers in the first 2021 and obviously the BPA in 2022

2023/24 season
Comtois - Zegras - Tarasenko
Miller - Beniers - Rakell
Terry - Steel - Lundestrom
Jones - Henrique - Johnson

Lindholm - Drysdale
Fowler - Cernak
Fleury - Mahura

Gibson - Dostal

Reactions: WhatTheDuck and MCB

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
So they won't take horrible contract without sweetener, instead they will just sign their own horrible contract for free?
Landeskog @ 10M$ is still a WAY better contract than TJ lol. One is a bonafide 1st line winger, the other one is a bottom 6er scrub

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Seems like an odd time to come out spending on UFAs. Aren't the next two drafts supposed to have franchise guys at the top? It's one thing if your young talent comes out and performs better than expected, but I don't think going after it this offseason would be the way I would proceed if I had a legit lottery shot.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'll give this a shot. Not a Ducks fan so I'll probably get roasted by Anaheim fans for 1 reason and all other fan bases for other reasons - but that's why HFboards exist I think.

1 - Anaheim is 3 seasons away from being a serious contender (this is my opinion based on where they are right now). All my suggestions are predicated on that assumption 2023/24 season being the time to peak.

2 - Trade for Eric Johnson and the Avs #1 (2021) for Future Considerations (7th round pick, whatever) - Provides cap relief for the Avs and the contract expires by the time the Ducks are in a position to compete. Gives the Ducks another 1st and 3 years for that pick to develop with the Ducks competetive window. I know he has a NMC, but I think he sees the writing on the wall in Colorado.

3 - Trade for Tyler Johnson and Eric Cernak for Ducks 2021 2nd round pick - TJ can add something to the Ducks line up but realistically the value is in the Cernak, a 23 year old RHD that can play on a top pair or anchor a 2nd pair.

4 - Stay away from UFA's this off season - the cap moving forward will open up other opportunities like third party retention for additional picks. It could also open up chances to trade for players that their current team can't keep - ie: Schmidt to Vancouver for a 3rd or Toews to Colorado for 2 x 2nds.

5 - In the 2022/23 off season when you have the most cap look to add complementary pieces during FA. By complementary I mean players that fill important roles (PKer or face off person) but are not expensive 1st line players, by this point the organization should have an idea what areas they need to improve in. Some suggestions of free agents (I know they won't all be availalbe) Mikheyev, Nichushkin, Paul, Lazar, Sturm ...

6 - 2023 pre-season once again address the needs of the team, but potentiall look to add "that misssing piece". Current free agents I would consider Tarasenko, JT Miller, Klefbom, Dumba.....

7 - Resign Rakell and Lindholm veterans are important for playoff success. Try to find a way to move on from Silfverberg and Manson for picks/prospects

8 - Draft Beniers in the first 2021 and obviously the BPA in 2022

2023/24 season
Comtois - Zegras - Tarasenko
Miller - Beniers - Rakell
Terry - Steel - Lundestrom
Jones - Henrique - Johnson

Lindholm - Drysdale
Fowler - Cernak
Fleury - Mahura

Gibson - Dostal

Tampa isn't trading Cernak to dump Johnson. You're more likely to get Foote or the 2022 1st in a Johnson trade.

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
Landeskog @ 10M$ is still a WAY better contract than TJ lol. One is a bonafide 1st line winger, the other one is a bottom 6er scrub

Sure, but you have to commmit to Gabriel Landeskog being your franchise player for next 7 years. He is probably 60 points players of Mackinnon wing now, 5 years from now...

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Tampa isn't trading Cernak to dump Johnson. You're more likely to get Foote or the 2022 1st in a Johnson trade.
They trade Cernak to dump Johnson, get a high second round pick, clear $8million in cap space and help clarify their expansion draft protection list. But you could be right he may not be availalble but on an imaginary trade forum there is always the posibilty.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Hey I'm not a Tampa fan at all but it happens every single offseason lol... rival fans always assume Tampa will have to give up a kings ransom in order to open cap space and then it never ever happens... I guarantee it will happen again and rival fans on here once again will be livid!

To be fair that happens with every team in a cap crunch pretty much, not just Tampa.

That being said, a lot of the time the guys people expect to be moved for a kings ransom don't move at all and they find some other way to make it work. Which is probably because teams were indeed asking a kings ransom and they refused to pay.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
They trade Cernak to dump Johnson, get a high second round pick, clear $8million in cap space and help clarify their expansion draft protection list. But you could be right he may not be availalble but on an imaginary trade forum there is always the posibilty.

Cernak is just too important, he's the best RD we have and is still young. Even though they are better players we're more likely to try to trade Killorn or Palat to open capspace instead of Cernak to dump Johnson. We could always trade Cirelli to free up capspace. As for the expansion draft we will most likely go 4 D so Cernak will be protected with Foote or McDonagh exposed.

405Entrance

Feb 8, 2020
If there’s good young guys I would offer them contracts but overall I think extending the guys we have like max and hampus should be priority 1. Maybe a cap dump if we can get another 2022 1st or a good young player. 2023 is the summer the ducks should be looking to be making moves. By then the players we drafted post 2017 should be in the nhl full time

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Gotta gauge where they are in the rebuild now. Because they gotta think about what kind of contracts they want to take in to help that rebuild. Do they need more picks to help that rebuild. Do they think if they plugged in a few free agents to try to win that they can get into the playoffs next season because sometimes experience is better than getting a high draft choice. Do they think it might be better to tank and get high draft choices. Probably is a combo of all that.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Taxes are ridiculous in California

Agreed. But no worse than Canada, NY, Boston, and other places.

Ducks are past taking cap dumps. They will use their cap to try and get Top 6 scoring to help support their young players like Zegras, Comtois, and Terry. Can’t rely on just the draft and stack themselves with picks. Need to see younger players coming back. The Hakanpaa for Fluery deal is exactly the kind of trades they need. Both players flourishing on their new teams, and Fluery is only 24 with plenty of upside to him still.

Ducks are not in the receiving cap dumps business now. They need that cap to go after pieces this summer and next to help their Top 6 scoring issues. Adding guys like Tyler Johnson does nothing for them, unless Brayden Point is being attached, well then why not, lol.

Disagree. The ducks absolutely should take cap dumps if there are good sweeteners, as long as the dumps are not more than 1-2 years. The ducks have plenty of cap space to take a cap dump and add other pieces. That being said, Johnson has a bit too much term and AAV to take him without a big add on.

Anaheim is also traditionally a budget team, there's no guarantee they'll spend to cap especially since the team is in a rebuild.

Before this last year, Anaheim had not been a budget team for 5+ years. The money is there - just a question as to whether the GM wants to ask the owners. They took Backes last year as an example.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00