Proposal: Anaheim and NYI

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
leap im a realist, the way i see it we are losing a quality player either way. with our depth of prospects at forward and the value of quality defense on the market at an all time high its rather obvious.

trading strome now for fowler only makes us weaker this season and dependent on one of the prospect forwards stepping up to make a real impact. it does nothing to change the basic math.

8+1 = 9 and 7 +3 = 11, so the tipping point is getting to 3 defenders. we already have 5 we like in Boychuck (NMC) Hamonic and Leddy, Pulock and Dehaan, addiding a 6th in fowler doesnt change the basic problem, the math. so unless we are willing to expose Pulock and Dehaan both, nothing changes.

at least this way we get an extra year to evaluate all of Lee, Nelson, Strome and the Prospect forwards to make an informed decision on what we need to protect.

either way we lose a good player, adding Fowler doesnt help us get to 3. all he does is mean we lose Strome in the trade and Likely Fowler in the expansion draft or Nelson or Lee....

your assumption is that McPhee wont take any of Fowler, Dehaan or Pulock, all of whom would be exposed if we went 7-3-1, which to me is incredible

I don't really understand how you can make that statement in bold, yet say we would be weaker with Fowler in the lineup. It seems to me you are being an optimist by having belief that Strome will rebound to how he did his first season. Frankly, that's in doubt. I hope it happens, but it certainly isn't something to be sure about. To me, that's realism. Thinking that Strome has more value than Fowler and by making the trade makes us weaker. I think that's overly optimistic for sure.

Of course I don't think we will go 7-3-1. I've outlined several reasons why I don't think McPhee would take Fowler. You may not agree with them, but it doesn't mean I haven't supported my theory with my opinion. There are some semi-concrete things supporting my theory such as prior signing motives of players in the past and the normal strategy that players take in getting their contracts. If Fowler came here and expressed a desire to stay and sign with us whether he's here or goes to another team and makes it to free agency, his value would tank across the league and I think McPhee would be nuts to take him. Sure it's an assumption. But rather than do what you are doing by just accepting the loss of one of Nelson, Lee, or Strome, I was just brainstorming ways that that doesn't necessarily have to be accepted.

I accept there is no doubt that Strome's value is lower than it was when he was drafted. I don't think it's dropped to the basement, but it's lower. I also accept that Snow is unlikely to trade him at this juncture. Still doesn't stop me from brainstorming ways to lessen the impact of the expansion draft. This one strategy also makes me think there may be other trade options out there that my save us from losing one of those forwards. Who knows.

Isles_Guy*

I don't really understand how you can make that statement in bold, yet say we would be weaker with Fowler in the lineup. It seems to me you are being an optimist by having belief that Strome will rebound to how he did his first season. Frankly, that's in doubt. I hope it happens, but it certainly isn't something to be sure about. To me, that's realism. Thinking that Strome has more value than Fowler and by making the trade makes us weaker. I think that's overly optimistic for sure.

Of course I don't think we will go 7-3-1. I've outlined several reasons why I don't think McPhee would take Fowler. You may not agree with them, but it doesn't mean I haven't supported my theory with my opinion. There are some semi-concrete things supporting my theory such as prior signing motives of players in the past and the normal strategy that players take in getting their contracts. If Fowler came here and expressed a desire to stay and sign with us whether he's here or goes to another team and makes it to free agency, his value would tank across the league and I think McPhee would be nuts to take him. Sure it's an assumption. But rather than do what you are doing by just accepting the loss of one of Nelson, Lee, or Strome, I was just brainstorming ways that that doesn't necessarily have to be accepted.

I accept there is no doubt that Strome's value is lower than it was when he was drafted. I don't think it's dropped to the basement, but it's lower. I also accept that Snow is unlikely to trade him at this juncture. Still doesn't stop me from brainstorming ways to lessen the impact of the expansion draft. This one strategy also makes me think there may be other trade options out there that my save us from losing one of those forwards. Who knows.

see leap on over thats where you are factually wrong, if we go 8-1 then we are likely losing one of Strome, Nelson or Lee whichever isnt protected, thats basically a given.

in your scenario not only are we losing Strome in trade, but we are still losing one of Fowler Nelson or Lee in expansion. Dehaan as a Garth Snow pick ( trading up twice to acquire him) is sure to be protected barring something unforseen

personally no offense intended, I think you just dont like strome for whatever reason. As i see it Snow will keep whichever of Strome, Nelson, or Lee, takes the biggest step forward this season.

that being said if something wholly unexpected occurs ( like shane Prince blossomming into a 30 goal scorer) then all bets are off.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
see leap on over thats where you are factually wrong, if we go 8-1 then we are likely losing one of Strome, Nelson or Lee whichever isnt protected, thats basically a given.

in your scenario not only are we losing Strome in trade, but we are still losing one of Fowler Nelson or Lee in expansion. Dehaan as a Garth Snow pick ( trading up twice to acquire him) is sure to be protected barring something unforseen

personally no offense intended, I think you just dont like strome for whatever reason. As i see it Snow will keep whichever of Strome, Nelson, or Lee, takes the biggest step forward this season.

that being said if something wholly unexpected occurs ( like shane Prince blossomming into a 30 goal scorer) then all bets are off.

Boychuk, Ladd, JT, Pulock, Leddy, Hamonic, Nelson, Lee

Don't know how that means we are losing Nelson and Lee. They are protected in this scenario. I leave out Fowler because of the reasons above which can obviously be argued...but I don't know why you think it means will lose Nelson or Lee.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad