Proposal: Anaheim and NYI

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
We all know the deal with Strome. I'm just putting this out there for feedback and to see what thoughts are.

Would you guys be willing to move Strome for Fowler? I don't know how much of an add we would need, but how much more would you be comfortable adding?

I really think Barzal and Ho-Sang are going to be knocking on Snow's door for a roster spot. I really think they are going to earn it and most likely still be relegated to the juniors and Bridge. However, if what I suspect is the case do you think you would go for Fowler to make room for one of those guys? It's opposite conferences which seems to be pretty important making trades. I never know what side each defenseman plays (Fowler is a lefty) because it's just too much of a pain to find out through the internet but where does he slot in on our team depth wise? He's got two years left I believe at 4m so plenty of time to resign him. He'll probably want a raise. His numbers aren't flashy, but he seems pretty solid.

Anyway, what are your thoughts folks?

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
We should not be moving forwards for defense. We have much more of a need for a top-6 forward than we do for a top-4 defenseman. Leddy, deHaan, and Hickey is good on the left side, and there's certainly room for improvement, but I wouldn't give up a top-6 forward for a top-4 defenseman, especially Strome with our massive lack of RH forwards. If somehow Ho-Sang took training camp by storm and Strome looks really bad, then I'd be open to moving Strome but I highly doubt that happens. Leddy is also much better than Fowler (I don't know how relevant that is I just really wanted to say that).

I think it makes a lot more sense for us to acquire Mark Streit again at the deadline for a couple of picks than it does to acquire Fowler for Strome. We do seem to have a good relationship with Anaheim, so a trade could be made between us.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
We should not be moving forwards for defense. We have much more of a need for a top-6 forward than we do for a top-4 defenseman. Leddy, deHaan, and Hickey is good on the left side, and there's certainly room for improvement, but I wouldn't give up a top-6 forward for a top-4 defenseman, especially Strome with our massive lack of RH forwards. If somehow Ho-Sang took training camp by storm and Strome looks really bad, then I'd be open to moving Strome but I highly doubt that happens. Leddy is also much better than Fowler (I don't know how relevant that is I just really wanted to say that).

I think it makes a lot more sense for us to acquire Mark Streit again at the deadline for a couple of picks than it does to acquire Fowler for Strome. We do seem to have a good relationship with Anaheim, so a trade could be made between us.

I know we need more help on the forward end, but I think this young talent is going to banging down the door. I haven't felt that way about many prospects (I never felt that way about Strome) but I feel that way about Barzal and Ho-Sang. I don't see what the downfall is of having an incredible defense though. I mean Fowler would really elevate our defense into elite territory and he'd be a great fall back if Boychuk is actually declining (i don't think he is) and needs more sheltered minutes. A strong defense this season could really put us in stratospheric position when both Barzal and Ho-Sang will be locks next season. It's just spit-ballin' I guess, but I'd be really satisfied with our D if we added Fowler. Yes, Leddy is better than Fowler but I see their roles as pretty different. I think Fowler is definitely an upgrade on de Haan by quite a margin though and I like de Haan a bunch.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
We all know the deal with Strome. I'm just putting this out there for feedback and to see what thoughts are.

Would you guys be willing to move Strome for Fowler? I don't know how much of an add we would need, but how much more would you be comfortable adding?

I really think Barzal and Ho-Sang are going to be knocking on Snow's door for a roster spot. I really think they are going to earn it and most likely still be relegated to the juniors and Bridge. However, if what I suspect is the case do you think you would go for Fowler to make room for one of those guys? It's opposite conferences which seems to be pretty important making trades. I never know what side each defenseman plays (Fowler is a lefty) because it's just too much of a pain to find out through the internet but where does he slot in on our team depth wise? He's got two years left I believe at 4m so plenty of time to resign him. He'll probably want a raise. His numbers aren't flashy, but he seems pretty solid.

Good idea trying two kill two birds with one stone but we still have to protect him, and as he is a defenseman that would mean we would get to protect even fewer players. It would suck to take him then lose him for nothing.

IMO, best case scenario for us is moving several guys like Strome, arguably 3, for an elite talent. Every time I look at who we have to protect and the two scenarios (anyone vs. structured F, D, G) I see us getting screwed bad. If Fowler was truly worth three of our under 25 depth then yeah sure, but he isn't.

Last edited:

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Gotta keep expansion draft in mind and the fact that Fowler is a UFA in two years.

No thanks.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
This trade would have no impact on the expansion draft. We're gonna have to go the 8 skaters path anyways, and unless you planned on leaving Strome exposed, Fowler simply takes his place in our protection slots.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Gotta keep expansion draft in mind and the fact that Fowler is a UFA in two years.

No thanks.

This trade would have no impact on the expansion draft. We're gonna have to go the 8 skaters path anyways, and unless you planned on leaving Strome exposed, Fowler simply takes his place in our protection slots.

Actually, that is where the strategy comes in....and Seafoam mentioned it without being privy to it.

You leave Fowler exposed. What are the chances Vegas is going to take a guy 1 season out of UFA that can walk from an expansion team quite easily? Answer: Slim to none. Fowler is a free guy for exposure because you won't lose him. Then you extend him after the expansion draft. It's actually one of the guys that is a perfect scenario for that.

JT
Ladd
Boychuk
Hamonic
Leddy
Pulock

and 2 of (de Haan, Nelson, Lee, Cizikas et al.)

Am I missing anybody? That's the way I would do it...if we lose either de Haan or Cizikas from this expansion draft I won't be crying about it too much. That's best case scenario instead of losing Lee or Nelson.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
You leave Fowler exposed. What are the chances Vegas is going to take a guy 1 season out of UFA that can walk from an expansion team quite easily? Answer: Slim to none.

Why slim to none? Say Vegas selects him. They could feel each other out, sign if they like each other. If not, Vegas can trade him for a haul at the deadline. I think they realize that they're minimum 5 years out no matter who they choose. I'm guessing that they'll grab some players they know they can easily turn into assets if they need to.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Why slim to none? Say Vegas selects him. They could feel each other out, sign if they like each other. If not, Vegas can trade him for a haul at the deadline. I think they realize that they're minimum 5 years out no matter who they choose. I'm guessing that they'll grab some players they know they can easily turn into assets if they need to.

I think it's blatantly obvious that these "hauls at the deadline" don't exist anymore. They haven't for quite a few seasons. GM's wised up and don't give up significant assets at the deadline anymore...unless you have a few examples from the last five seasons to prove me wrong.

Sure, there is the "chance" that they like each other but I don't believe that the expansion draft gives the GM the right to speak to the players ahead of time to gauge interest. I realize you may not like my "slim to none" projection, however you can't honestly believe that the chances are high. 30 different teams with players available it's highly likely that they will find an at cost defenseman with Fowler upside available (ahem, de Haan).

And lastly, who cares if they take Fowler. It's not like we don't have to protect him if Lee and Nelson both simultaneously **** the proverbial bed. Can hang them both out to dry. And if Nelson and Lee blow it up it's quite possible Strome would have been the odd man out so really cost us nothing since Strome could have been left unprotected.

The only way it screws us is if Strome tears it up in Anaheim, which is possible and the risk of any trade. Still, Fowler has been steady so it's not like we can't have expectations of his play. Surprised no one else sees the possibilities on this. To me it's 100% worth the risk walking away from the expansion draft keeping both Nelson, Lee and Fowler rather than walking away from the expansion draft losing 1 of Lee, Nelson or Strome. This trade makes sense for need for Anaheim, and it allows us this perfect expansion draft storm scenario.

Last edited:

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010

Value-wise, you are not far off, but I wouldn't do it. I think we'd be selling low on Strome. Plus, how would we protect Fowler for the expansion draft? The only way that would be possible would be if we traded another D-man. We already have to protect Leddy, Hamonic, Boychuk, and Pulock...and possibly de Haan. Anyone, that is my $.02.

Madman74

Aug 28, 2016
What are the chances of Barzal and Hosang making the team out of camp. Obviously it would depend on quite a few factors regarding the salary cap. Secondly what would it take to acquire Blake Wheeler from WPG because a Ladd-Tavares-Wheeler 1st line intrigues me.

Local290

Jun 28, 2016
We need a back to form Strome more than we need another dman. And I wouldn't want to trade Strome coming off of last year because his value is hopefully as low as it ever will be right now.

And it's too early to even think about the expansion draft. It will all depend on what happens this season. If they coaches let him play more to his style CDH could have a great year and we would want to protect him.

Going into last year nobody would've considered not protecting Lee or Strome, but they had down years. By the time the expansion draft comes, nobody will be looking at what happened last year. It all depends who steps up, and who doesn't, this season.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I think it's blatantly obvious that these "hauls at the deadline" don't exist anymore.

Maybe "haul" isn't the best word, but they can certainly reap assets and picks if they so chose. I dunno. I just think you're rationalizing scenarios and to fit the trade you want to make.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
What are the chances of Barzal and Hosang making the team out of camp. Obviously it would depend on quite a few factors regarding the salary cap. Secondly what would it take to acquire Blake Wheeler from WPG because a Ladd-Tavares-Wheeler 1st line intrigues me.

At this point it will be one or the other, as we have too many forwards on contracts. The following season we'll have room for more since probably either Nelson or Lee will be claimed in the expansion draft, and Parenteau will be a free agent (Clutterbuck is too but he'll probably be re-signed). There's also the high possibility of Kulemin being bought out if he doesn't have a good year this year, and Grabo being bought out or traded to a team that needs his cap hit.

We won't get Wheeler. He'll probably be named captain of the Jets and what we would have to give up to get him would be a lot, although it would probably be worth it. He's an amazing player, among the most underrated in the NHL.

IODCPiper

Jan 26, 2016

YES isles should make that trade even if they have to add a 2nd round pic THEN turn around and send him to oilers fir Eberle.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
We already have 4 or 5 D to protect. I definitely like the idea of building from the net out, but that may be counter productive and not conducive to the development of a guy like Pelech. If we move Strome for Fowler, then it would basically be an upgrade on DeHaan and make him a trade chip, either that or Pelech is traded in a package.

Having Leddy-Fowler-DeHaan as our 1st 2nd and 3rd LD's is SOLID.

For what it's worth, one of my good friends is a die hard Anaheim fan and pretty in tune with teem needs, seems like the fanbase and organization are looking for a scoring winger, he said there were rumors of them being interested in Tatar....

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014

I didn't even have to read the whole post. I'd make this trade without a thought.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
We already have 4 or 5 D to protect. I definitely like the idea of building from the net out, but that may be counter productive and not conducive to the development of a guy like Pelech. If we move Strome for Fowler, then it would basically be an upgrade on DeHaan and make him a trade chip, either that or Pelech is traded in a package.

Having Leddy-Fowler-DeHaan as our 1st 2nd and 3rd LD's is SOLID.

For what it's worth, one of my good friends is a die hard Anaheim fan and pretty in tune with teem needs, seems like the fanbase and organization are looking for a scoring winger, he said there were rumors of them being interested in Tatar....

There were some rumors I believe of a Vatanen for Tatar swap, but obviously Anaheim wanted to keep Vatanen instead.

Maybe after expansion we can trade one of the unclaimed forwards to Anaheim for Fowler, but a lot can change in a year. I don't think the timing is good for a move like this, but the value is definitely fair.

Hipster Doofus

Sep 1, 2006

Problem is Strome is being relied on to fill the middle 6 with Nelson now that Nielsen is gone. We could slot Grabo or Quine at center and Barzal is a natural center, but thats not a deal I make till after camp when its obvious Barzal is the real deal.

Plus on the leftside we have Leddy, CDH, and Hickey. Only CDH is maybe a guy they wanna get some competition for but they have Pelech who looked good last year before he almost had to retire just when he was starting to become a regular NHL'r due to a cardiovascular issue. Even on the rightside you have Boych, Hamonic, and Pulock with Mayfield as depth.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Problem is Strome is being relied on to fill the middle 6 with Nelson now that Nielsen is gone. We could slot Grabo or Quine at center and Barzal is a natural center, but thats not a deal I make till after camp when its obvious Barzal is the real deal.

Plus on the leftside we have Leddy, CDH, and Hickey. Only CDH is maybe a guy they wanna get some competition for but they have Pelech who looked good last year before he almost had to retire just when he was starting to become a regular NHL'r due to a cardiovascular issue. Even on the rightside you have Boych, Hamonic, and Pulock with Mayfield as depth.

Sounds like Pelech's medical situation will essentially be a non-factor for the rest of his career, thankfully.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
Is Hickey and Dal Colle for Fowler makes sense? I prefer to keep Strome since we don't have much RH shooters. From the left side, we have many players who can play a similar role to Dal Colle : Nelson, Lee and eventually Bellows, Beauvillier.

Leddy - Boychuk
Fowler - Hamonic
De Haan - Pulock

Not a bad group.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
In this scenerio, which one of Leddy, CDH and Hickey are we moving to make room for Fowler? Seems like we would be trading from a position of weakness for a position of strength.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Count me in as one thinking Strome hasn't shown us a lot yet and he may very well grow into one helluva player with his scoring and defense.

Nah, no thanks on Fowler for Strome.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Is Hickey and Dal Colle for Fowler makes sense? I prefer to keep Strome since we don't have much RH shooters. From the left side, we have many players who can play a similar role to Dal Colle : Nelson, Lee and eventually Bellows, Beauvillier.

Leddy - Boychuk
Fowler - Hamonic
De Haan - Pulock

Not a bad group.

Great group, but again we're dealing for a position of strength when we should be focusing on getting a C or RW if Barzal/Ho-Sang can't make it out of camp.

But that defense is sexy.

Sorge Georos

Apr 28, 2009
LI
Count me in as one thinking Strome hasn't shown us a lot yet and he may very well grow into one helluva player with his scoring and defense.

Nah, no thanks on Fowler for Strome.

Strome was such a beast in 2014-15. While getting Fowler isn't what I'd call "selling low" I'm one of those who does not believe in trading him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad