TSN: [ANA/VAN] Ryan Kesler for Nick Bonino, Luca Sbisa, 24th OA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Short term you can argue Anaheim is in a better position.

But long term, it's all up to Vancouver, especially who they choose at 24th overall (Kesler was drafted 23rd overall)

It took some "skill" to miss out on a NHLer that draft year in the 1st round.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
Ok, you get to re-do the trade...Kesler only wants to go to Anaheim. Go.

well if kesler corners the canucks and demands a trade to anaheim, then you either demand that you get futures or make him report to training camp in october

a 24th overall pick is pretty much all there is to look forward to in this deal and for this draft that's not promising...meanwhile anaheim gets to keep the 10th pick they got for bobby ryan, a player that should've held less value than keeler

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yet you would rather DSP than this entire package? A guy that is anything but a sure bet to ever match the 50 points just put up by Nick Bonino. If you're going to over-rate prospects, you should do the same for picks. Same goes for Etem. A kid you told me you didn't like 2 months ago - someone you didn't think would develop into a good top 6 player.

The 24th pick is a lottery ticket. It could be nothing, or it could be the next Ryan Kesler. The more tickets you hold, the more good young players you can add to the franchise. Having 4 1sts in 2 years is a start.

Yes, I'd rather have DSP/Santorelli than Bonino/#1. Or think it's pretty equal, in any case. Etem maybe I'd come down on the other side of the fence.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
well if kesler corners the canucks and demands a trade to anaheim, then you either demand that you get futures or make him report to training camp in october

a 24th overall pick is pretty much all there is to look forward to in this deal and for this draft that's not promising...meanwhile anaheim gets to keep the 10th pick they got for bobby ryan, a player that should've held less value than keeler

Fine in theory. But give me a list of the teams that bring back players who want out.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Short term you can argue Anaheim is in a better position.

But long term, it's all up to Vancouver, especially who they choose at 24th overall (Kesler was drafted 23rd overall)

Long term Anaheim is in a better position, deeper and better prospect pool, and far more young players. We took two of their mid 20s tweeters to make room for their better prospects, the ones we failed to negotiate for.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I really liked bonino last year any way. the ducks didnt want to move him. Surprised they moved him.

Would have liked the 8th.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
I usually enjoy being proved right, but in this case its not very fun....we just got tooled because our President and GM were spineless and caved to pressure.

And with each passing day, they would have got back less. There was 1 team offering anything of value where Kesler would go. This is the reality of what a 30 year old player returns in today's NHL. This will happen when Spezza and Thornton are dealt too - getting veterans is easier now than at any point in the past IMO.

I have a feeling Canuck fans are sleeping on Bonino. This guy could outproduce Kesler over the next 3-5 years.

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site

Sure, Murray says no and you keep a disgruntled Kesler for most of the year, taking the risk that he's not injured come the deadline (which gets riskier every year). What if the Ducks are still the only team he'd go to? Think Murray's ponying up any more than today? Then you're Gillis 2.0 and fans are chanting for you to get fired.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Long term Anaheim is in a better position, deeper and better prospect pool, and far more young players. We took two of their mid 20s tweeters to make room for their better prospects, the ones we failed to negotiate for.

Who says we didn't negotiate? Maybe Murray didn't want to give those kids away.

The Canucks seem set on acquiring younger players with at least 1-2 years of NHL experience, instead of prospects.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Yes, I'd rather have DSP/Santorelli than Bonino/#1. Or think it's pretty equal, in any case. Etem maybe I'd come down on the other side of the fence.

But they could still have Santorelli if they want him. Bonino's great contract just makes it that much more possible. Maybe they deal Hansen and sign Santo still - it's not like they have a good 3C at the moment...

DSP is being overrated due to his playoffs. Wouldn't say with any confidence whatsoever he will have a better career than Nick Bonino. Bonino brings a lot of what the Canucks don't have - he's skilled, good on the PP and has a nose for the net.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
And with each passing day, they would have got back less. There was 1 team offering anything of value where Kesler would go. This is the reality of what a 30 year old player returns in today's NHL. This will happen when Spezza and Thornton are dealt too - getting veterans is easier now than at any point in the past IMO.

I have a feeling Canuck fans are sleeping on Bonino. This guy could outproduce Kesler over the next 3-5 years.

They should have sat on him until his list grew....tell him he's not going to play for us, or anyone else until he had a reasonable list.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I am actually pretty high on this trade. If you were expecting more than this you are unreasonable or lack hockey knowledge. Benning just picked up: 1. a first-round pick, 2. a young, cheap top-six forward who can play both center and wing, 3. a young, physical defenceman 4. a terrific bottom-six winger.

That's three (three!) players who should start in the opening-day lineup AND a first round pick, for a guy who wanted out and had an NTC and only two teams really interested. Benning was able to hold his own as a rookie GM trading from a weak position with the guy who was just named GM of the year. He avoided the horror of seeing Kesler go to Chicago. Trading within the division doesn't matter because we will not be in the playoffs the next two seasons anyway.

Massive kudos to Benning for making the best of a bad situation. How people can say this is a bad move when we saw what Gillis did at the draft a year ago is beyond me.

The numbered list you had is debatable.

1. a first-round pick

Yes...
He got a first round pick...
But it was the worse of the 2.
Plus...
They also had to swap 3rd rounders...
For a worse one.

2. a young, cheap top-six forward who can play both center and wing

Sure...
Bonino is young...
And he is also just about to enter his prime.
However...
Last year's stat...
22 goals and 27 assists...
May be his limit...
And I am not sure how long he can stick on the top 6.
He seems to be a tweener player...
In the mold of Higgins.

3. a young, physical defenceman

Yes...
Sbisa is 24...
But he is a veteran of this league already...
And in his 6 year pro career...
He got worse and worse.
Last year...
He could barely crack the top 6 D...
As he shifted between the AHL and the NHL...
And the Anaheim D is not that deep.
He may be no better than a bottom 6 player at this point of his career.

4. a terrific bottom-six winger

Ok...
I like Dorsett...
But he is a so-so player...
Best on the 4th line...
And he should cost less than a 3rd rounder.
He will also make 2 million dollars...
And that is too much for a 4th line player.

Sure...
You can say that Benning was in a difficult situation...
And he did the best he could.
However...
Benning did not have to make the trade if the offers are not up to par.
Kesler is still under contract for 2 more years...
And while it is preferable to get rid of Kesler as soon as possible...
He could still be traded any time before the season starts...
And if that fails...
There is also the trade deadline.
By then...
If Kesler really wanted to leave...
He would expand his list...
And the Canucks would be able to pick and choose the best offers.
No matter how I look at it...
Benning had the upper hand in the stand off...
And he just gave it all away.

Then there is Garrison.
Yes...
He has a no trade clause...
But unlike Kesler...
There is no urgency to move him.
He is a local product...
He can still contribute on both sides of the ice...
And he is on a decent contract for what he brings on the table.
This is a choice made by the Canucks braintrust...
Which is within their rights...
But Garrison is a decent asset...
And he should be worth more than a second rounder...
Let alone the fact that the Canucks had to add 2 minor pieces to the trade.

Of course...
This is all on paper...
And all these players they got back could surprise and be a lot better than people thought.
However...
At first glance...
I am not hopeful.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
Sure, Murray says no and you keep a disgruntled Kesler for most of the year, taking the risk that he's not injured come the deadline (which gets riskier every year). What if the Ducks are still the only team he'd go to? Think Murray's ponying up any more than today? Then you're Gillis 2.0 and fans are chanting for you to get fired.

to be honest nobody here is privy to what was offered so we're all speculating and all we have is this deal to discuss, in which the value is pretty horrid...in fact the entirety of the news so far today is so horrid that we'll have gillis 2.0 sooner than anybody thought

does kesler's value fall if he starts the season with the canucks? always a possibility, but hard to see how it gets much lower than this deal

Blue Suede Shoes

hound dog
May 5, 2012
I'd rather have 2 years of Kesler than this return. This is not much better than getting literally nothing as a return. And I know Kesler unhappy lockerroom cancer bad energy bla bla bla. But hell I'd rather keep Kesler and sit him in the press box for the next two years just to piss of Murray for not offering close to fair value, and to piss of Kesler for effing us in the bum.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Dear god

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 46s
Key turning point in Kesler talks was Anaheim willing to include 24th overall pick, which Ducks had resisted all along.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
Botchford claims we had 17 better offers on the table but Kesler was adamant.

**** him.

Should have kept him and sent him home.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
Botchford claims we had 17 better offers on the table but Kesler was adamant.

**** him.

Well he said

Jason Botchford ‏@botchford

Canucks had better 17 offers at deadline. It didn't help that Kesler's list went from 6 to 2

And said Aquilini didn't nix any trades so MG didn't pull the trigger I guess?

John Bender*

I think Bonino is crying on the radio.....not tears of joy either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad