Confirmed with Link: [ANA/VAN] Kesler to Anaheim for Bonino, Sbisa, 24th (and exchange of 3rds)

salsa man

SALSA
Nov 20, 2013
California
Every time I watch a replay of last seasons Ducks games I can't believe we traded Bonino... Couldn't we of just given them the 8th pick and kept him as our 3C? Also, am I crazy for thinking Bonino was better than Kesler last season?

Kesler is still much better than Bonino at pretty much ever facet of the game. Don't let the six extra points by Bonino (in a career year) fool you. If Kesler had the supporting cast Bonino did last year, I'm sure he would've scored more than just 43 points.

Also, it was the 10th pick, fwiw.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
^^^

I'll tell you right now Bonino is better at using his linemates.

But agreed, Kes is better in virtually every other facet of the game.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Every time I watch a replay of last seasons Ducks games I can't believe we traded Bonino... Couldn't we of just given them the 8th pick and kept him as our 3C? Also, am I crazy for thinking Bonino was better than Kesler last season?
They didn't want a futures trade.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
Kesler is still much better than Bonino at pretty much ever facet of the game. Don't let the six extra points by Bonino (in a career year) fool you. If Kesler had the supporting cast Bonino did last year, I'm sure he would've scored more than just 43 points.

BM has stated that bones was the centre piece of that kesler trade. JT wanted bones

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
Right the 10th pick. I do believe Kesler will help us in some ways more than Bonino. But, its obvious he doesn't have the play-making skills, this definitely concerns me. When I watch Kesler play he seems like he has the offensive skill set of a winger much more than a Center.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Right the 10th pick. I do believe Kesler will help us in some ways more than Bonino. But, its obvious he doesn't have the play-making skills, this definitely concerns me. When I watch Kesler play he seems like he has the offensive skill set of a winger much more than a Center.
I think Kesler and Bonino would have looked great together.

Emerald Duck

Dec 9, 2009
Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, CA

Similar criticisms were leveled at Jeff Carter and look how he has worked out with the Kings every time they play him at center :sarcasm:

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
I think Kesler and Bonino would have looked great together.

Absolutely! I also think MP22 would of been amazing on his wing. Maroon does have playmaking ability but he's not fast enough to be the first man in and set up plays. I think a playmaking winger like Tanguay or someone similar might be a good deadline deal.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

Kesler has pretty much always had crap linemates, even in his most productive years minus a stretch last year when he was playing wing with the twins.

They didn't want a futures trade.

Yup

Kesler has been just what the doctor ordered.

Glad to hear it. As much as things ended poorly, he was a trooper for us and a key player for the best stretch in our franchises history (as sad as that is). He does also have that shutdown potential and can step up in the playoffs in the right setting.

getzforfighting*

Agreed, Kesler on this team last year would have covered at least 60

gradeAducksfan

Mar 29, 2010
Anaheim
I'm I the only one that believes Kesler will have a better season than Bonino? I think Kesler gives the Ducks much more than Bonino does. A lot of Bonino's points came on the PP. I can't say that Bonino carried his own line. Bonino will be missed but we have a much stronger player in our line up.

Teemu Salami

Empty Ketchup Bottle
May 9, 2013
Orange County, CA
I'm I the only one that believes Kesler will have a better season than Bonino? I think Kesler gives the Ducks much more than Bonino does. A lot of Bonino's points came on the PP. I can't say that Bonino carried his own line. Bonino will be missed but we have a much stronger player in our line up.

You're in the majority actually.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
I wouldn't argue Bonino is better defensively. But I do think he has better offensive awareness and drives the offense for his line more than Kesler does. That being said I was a huge fan of bringing him in. I just think trading Bonino for him made it only a slight improvement overall.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Folks, the idea that you have to be a pass first player to play center is absurd. There are plenty of examples of pivots who are shooters. As long as he generates offense who cares if it's a shot or a pass?

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I wouldn't argue Bonino is better defensively. But I do think he has better offensive awareness and drives the offense for his line more than Kesler does. That being said I was a huge fan of bringing him in. I just think trading Bonino for him made it only a slight improvement overall.

False. He drives the offense for his linemates better than Kesler does, not for his line. Kesler is a part of his own line and he's fantastic at getting shots on goal.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Kesler is a miles better player and goal scorer but Bonino kills Kesler in terms of vision and playmaking ability. Offensively I give Kesler a slight edge, overall Kesler has a huge edge.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I'm not sure it's as simple as saying Bonino was a better playmaker and had better vision. It's absolutely true, of course, but I think you need to factor other things into a player: Like skating.

As smart as Bonino was, he was never a guy that could beat a lot of players to pucks, or out skate them and create room. He just didn't have that ability. Nor did he really have the strength and power in his game to skate through players, like Maroon does(another player with skating issues). He didn't just need to use his intelligence to be a good player, he had to use it to be an NHL player period. I think that places limits on what kind of player he can become, and how much better he can be.

I think his play on the PP helps reinforce this point. We all seemed to love him there, and is it really a coincidence? The ice is cut in more than half, and it is less about mobility by skating and more about moving the puck in passing plays. He wasn't asked to carry the puck into the zone, and it seemed like his responsibility was hounding the puck and looking for soft areas in the coverage.

At any rate, I wish him the best in Vancouver. I've been rooting for the guy since we picked him up from San Jose, and he was in BU. I hope he can find his way back here, at some point. It sucks to see him go, but adding Kesler should absolutely make us a better team. Kesler is a three zone player, who brings us a strong #2 center that we've lacked for a long time. Even if the offensive numbers are similar(and I'm not convinced they will be, because I think we can give Kesler more help than he had in Vancouver), I think Kesler will give us a much better overall game than Bonino is capable of. Losing Sbisa is, thankfully, little more than a footnote right now(as are the draft picks), because he just didn't have a place here. He's kind the complete opposite of Bonino. Lots of talent, but he just doesn't seem to have the smarts to utilize them properly.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I'm not sure it's as simple as saying Bonino was a better playmaker and had better vision. It's absolutely true, of course, but I think you need to factor other things into a player: Like skating.

As smart as Bonino was, he was never a guy that could beat a lot of players to pucks, or out skate them and create room. He just didn't have that ability. Nor did he really have the strength and power in his game to skate through players, like Maroon does(another player with skating issues). He didn't just need to use his intelligence to be a good player, he had to use it to be an NHL player period. I think that places limits on what kind of player he can become, and how much better he can be.

I think his play on the PP helps reinforce this point. We all seemed to love him there, and is it really a coincidence? The ice is cut in more than half, and it is less about mobility by skating and more about moving the puck in passing plays. He wasn't asked to carry the puck into the zone, and it seemed like his responsibility was hounding the puck and looking for soft areas in the coverage.

At any rate, I wish him the best in Vancouver. I've been rooting for the guy since we picked him up from San Jose, and he was in BU. I hope he can find his way back here, at some point. It sucks to see him go, but adding Kesler should absolutely make us a better team. Kesler is a three zone player, who brings us a strong #2 center that we've lacked for a long time. Even if the offensive numbers are similar(and I'm not convinced they will be, because I think we can give Kesler more help than he had in Vancouver), I think Kesler will give us a much better overall game than Bonino is capable of. Losing Sbisa is, thankfully, little more than a footnote right now(as are the draft picks), because he just didn't have a place here. He's kind the complete opposite of Bonino. Lots of talent, but he just doesn't seem to have the smarts to utilize them properly.

This is 100% spot on.

What sucks the most IMO is that right now, our extra center spot between Kesler and Thompson is perfect for Bonino. I worried about Boninio in a defensive role, and the more I thought about it, the more I didn't think he and Cogs would be a good fit. But damn, a center core of Getzlaf, Kesler, Bonion, Thompson would be sick.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
The thing I'll miss most about Bonino is the clutch goals AINEC

Yes, that goes back to Souj's post. He was a smart player, and the more ice he had to work with, the better he was. That's why he was so big for us when the goalie was pulled or if we were pressing. He lacked the physical traits to get back on defense, so I think during the game, he knew he had to keep that in mind. At the end of the game and we're down, it's about offense only, and he clearly knew where to be.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
You guys stole Ryan Kesler. Nick Bonino is decent but nothing special, pretty poor skater and not dynamic. Luca Sbisa is awful, like one of the worst defencemen in the NHL bad. A lot riding on Jared McCann to make this palatable as a Canucks' fan but not looking good.

Damn Kesler and his no trade lists!

Kind of excited to see Kesler in this situation, happy for him even though our organization takes the shaft yet again. A healthy and happy Kesler playing behind Ryan Getzlaf on a 2nd line is going to be impressive. He played with no heart for us over the last two years or so, but when he's motivated, he's a beast. And no reason he won't be motivated this year.

Congratulations on the fleece job and Kesler wanting to be a Duck.

Halzy

Jan 8, 2013
Temecula, CA
You guys stole Ryan Kesler. Nick Bonino is decent but nothing special, pretty poor skater and not dynamic. Luca Sbisa is awful, like one of the worst defencemen in the NHL bad. A lot riding on Jared McCann to make this palatable as a Canucks' fan but not looking good.

Damn Kesler and his no trade lists!

Kind of excited to see Kesler in this situation, happy for him even though our organization takes the shaft yet again. A healthy and happy Kesler playing behind Ryan Getzlaf on a 2nd line is going to be impressive. He played with no heart for us over the last two years or so, but when he's motivated, he's a beast. And no reason he won't be motivated this year.

Congratulations on the fleece job and Kesler wanting to be a Duck.

tumblr_nb9mnmlKLT1rll0vpo1_250.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad