Confirmed with Link: [ANA/SJ] Henry Thrun for 2024 3rd round pick

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Makes perfect sense, Thrun has to consider his career first. This improves his odds of playing at least some time in the NHL tremendously.
It definitely makes sense, you just don’t often see it. Guys often look at NHL openings or location, which I suppose I can’t blame them for, not prospect depth. It’s nice to see, even if it kind of didn’t work out in our favour on this one.

Although that last line might be debatable too. A likely high third round pick might be a coup even regardless of the circumstances.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Getting a 3rd rounder is really awesome under the circumstances. With the Ducks history in scouting and drafting, the 3rd rounder will probably be a solid prospect in 2-3 years lol.
I wish they had a clause in the trade ''Ducks can only draft a defenseman or a goalie with this pick''. Then I would feel very comfortable actually, we have a great track record with that :laugh:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Good recovery by Verbeek and thanks to Thrun informing us ahead of time as well as where he wanted to be traded to.

I thought Thrun and LaCombe had a pathway to the NHL with the Ducks this year and next season. Thrun brings an element most of our D-prospects don't have... that defensive D trait. And if Thrun was that good, then someone else would have to be displaced and he stays in Anaheim.

What's done is done and Verbeek played it safe by drafting 3 defensemen in the 2022 draft with our first four picks in the first two rounds.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Wow, that kinda sucks especially if he signs with them and not us. Oh well, Zell/Minty/Lacombe are all more dynamic than he is
If he signs with the Sharks, then it is clear he did not sign with us because of the logjam of LHD we have.

Anaheim has an excellent track record of developing defensemen, and the Sharks are even further away from competing than we are. But they present a much clearer path to the NHL than us.

Reactions: Static

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
If he signs with the Sharks, then it is clear he did not sign with us because of the logjam of LHD we have.

Anaheim has an excellent track record of developing defensemen, and the Sharks are even further away from competing than we are. But they present a much clearer path to the NHL than us.

I dunno. Manson wasn't prevented from being a part of the NHL club. Vats was drafted in 2009. Welinski was drafted in the 4th round in 2011 as Manson went in the 6th round in 2011 too. We drafted Monty in 2014 as well. All those righties didn't deter Manson.

Reactions: Kalv

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
A great return for someone who openly stated that he wouldn't sign. There must have been decent demand since we got an early 3rd and didn't get low balled... now hope he doesn't come out producing like Schulz and becomes more of a Welinski.

I don't understand why Thrun would be open to sign in SJ over us... He or Beavis could have easily taken Shattenkirk's spot.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
I don’t want to sound too bitter cause I am happy that he gets to choose his own destiny and that’s rare in this industry but let’s not act like he didn’t string us along until like two weeks ago.

He could have told us at any point in the last 4 years if he wasn’t sure about signing. See ya.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad