Confirmed Trade: [ANA/PHI] Cutter Gauthier for Jamie Drysdale and 2025 2nd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
lol not at all. I actually think fan skepticism on Gauthier may have contributed to his change in thinking.
This is the funniest comment I’ve read yet about the trade.

If you actually believe this, you think way too highly of yourself and the other amateur scouts (and I’m using that word very generously) on the Flyers’ board.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
-Friedman does know more than people on HFboards but he's also in the business of getting clicks online.
-The comments by Torts is most likely in jest because he deals with reporters all the time and likes having fun with them to try and piss them off by making comments.
-Big difference between Anaheim's new golden boy, Gauthier, and Michkov. Michkov had the adult attitude in informing Arizona that he wouldn't report there if they drafted him before the draft where as Gauthier blew smoke up Briere's ass stating that he would be a typical Flyer and was looking forward to playing in Philly before Briere drafted him. Then like a immature teenager he wasn't man enough to meet with the Philly brass when he decided that he wouldn't sign there. And from many reports out there, it was over the fact that the Flyers wouldn't sign him after his freshmen year and wanted him to go back to college to play for another year. Knowing that the Flyers could have used the 5th overall pick to draft defenseman David Jiricek who went 6th overall to Columbus.
-As for winners and losers of the trade, it's hard to tell right but the Flyers have a player who will be currently playing in the league where as Anaheim doesn't. Also, there's no guarantee that Gauthier will end up signing there but we'll see. Time will tell who got the better end of the deal.

I also understand why Michkov wouldn't wanna lay for the Yotes. It's a clown show organization that may be in an entirely different city by the time he crosses the pond.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
According to HockeyStatsCards on X, he was 3rd worst player for Flyers.
Skates very well, makes good passes, will qb the pp but needs a partner to cover up. Might drive Torts nuts…
That’s a useful tool (particularly when you want a summary glance at a game you can’t be bothered watching) and it’s generally good at identifying trends over the medium-long term, but as someone who was at that game, I can tell you Drysdale being the 3rd worst player is laughable.

He and Sanheim made for a pretty dynamic pairing. He made a couple incredible tape to tape passes that I don’t think any other Flyers’ defenseman is capable of. His speed and agility pops and made an instance difference on the powerplay.

He wasn’t on ice for any of the goals against and as far as I can recollect, there wasn’t a single quality Montreal chance while he was on the ice.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
That’s a useful tool (particularly when you want a summary glance at a game you can’t be bothered watching) and it’s generally good at identifying trends over the medium-long term, but as someone who was at that game, I can tell you Drysdale being the 3rd worst player is laughable.

He and Sanheim made for a pretty dynamic pairing. He made a couple incredible tape to tape passes that I don’t think any other Flyers’ defenseman is capable of. His speed and agility pops and made an instance difference on the powerplay.

He wasn’t on ice for any of the goals against and as far as I can recollect, there wasn’t a single quality Montreal chance while he was on the ice.
Watched it too. Didnt strike me as 3rd worst. Offense was fine, i did notice some turnovers but he was quick to try to correct. Not strong at all near boards as expected. Maybe its a case of the other guys being steadier while not flashier.

they dominated the game, should have been 7-1, not 3-2.

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
I'm just curious and not sure if its been discussed, but did the Flyers expect to get more in value? It seems like they did fine. Not sure why so many are up in arms. Its over with
It’s not the value that I mind. At the moment I am pretty happy and Cutter is an afterthought. Do I wish him the best? Of course not, but I’m not making death threats; those who did are a small minority

I think this is emblematic of a potentially bigger issue, and that’s why I mostly don’t like it

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland

Exact this, people really need to watch games, oh and understand the game too.
Drysdale was Flyers top 3 player in his debut. - and one of the best in the entire game

On their after game studio, they showed Drysdale'd pass accuracy %, it was 86
the highest of all players, both teams. - 28 successful passes

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
You can watch the games (cant watch em all) AND also look at the chart to maybe understand benchings, line demotions, etc.
The production and offense colors i dont mind so much but the defense and Misc parts i enjoy. Helps me know a little more on players who could be available in trades.

New org (Briere-Jones) came in in March. Besides the Hayes buyout, i cant see what beef Gauthier could have with them.
we know know its not Tortorella, its not the rookie gm, its not the elc stuff (i believed that one until Marek).

Buyout of the wrong guy (friend-mentor) might have triggered Gauthier ?

what else am i missing? Is Anaheim a better org?

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
You can watch the games (cant watch em all) AND also look at the chart to maybe understand benchings, line demotions, etc.
The production and offense colors i dont mind so much but the defense and Misc parts i enjoy. Helps me know a little more on players who could be available in trades.

New org (Briere-Jones) came in in March. Besides the Hayes buyout, i cant see what beef Gauthier could have with them.
we know know its not Tortorella, its not the rookie gm, its not the elc stuff (i believed that one until Marek).

Buyout of the wrong guy (friend-mentor) might have triggered Gauthier ?

what else am i missing? Is Anaheim a better org?
The story is the organisation said they would sign him , let him play a couple of games to burn one year of his ELC contract. New management came in and they didnt follow up on that agreement. He felt betrayed and ask for a trade

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
Speculative idea of what may have been said:
“Philly was giving mid and I needed better vibes. On god. I needed to be bussin in my town not all crumbs. No cap!”

No idea if true but sounds like what may have been said by a current teenager.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
The story is the organisation said they would sign him , let him play a couple of games to burn one year of his ELC contract. New management came in and they didnt follow up on that agreement. He felt betrayed and ask for a trade
I believe that was denied by Briere in a Marek piece. « Didnt want to turn pro. Papers were ready ».
edit: Danny Briere confirmed on the Jeff Marek show that Cutter Gauthier wanted to go back to BC rather than turn pro.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
I believe that was denied by Briere in a Marek piece. « Didnt want to turn pro. Papers were ready ».
edit: Danny Briere confirmed on the Jeff Marek show that Cutter Gauthier wanted to go back to BC rather than turn pro.
Oh didnt know that. One day the truth will come out

Reactions: JRichard

irishsetter13

Jan 24, 2016
You are actually mistaken. If you listen to the whole interview, that conversation happened after last years World Championships. This would be after the season, since World Champions ended May 23rd.

On 32 Thoughts today Elliotte said the timeline was:

1. BC gets elminated. Cutter expected to be going Pro and burning the first year of his rookie contract as the Flyers had around 19 games left on the season.
2. Briere said they didnt want to have cap overage for next season and offered an AHL Tryout and to start his ELC the next season with no guaranteed roster spot.
3. Cutter declined the AHL Tryout and said he would perfer to go back to BC in that case. I believe this is where he felt slighted.
4. Cutter makes World Championship roster (somewhat rare for a non pro player to make this team)
5. Cutter dominated scoring 7 Goals and 2 Assist in 10 Games as a 19 year old.
6. Cutter's agent requested a Zoom Call with the Flyers to discuss.
7. Briere said he thought Cutter had a change of heart and wanted to go pro so he got a contract ready. Instead Cutter told them he didnt want to be a Flyer.

Elliotte almost confirmed that he thinks this was the issue. Cutter may had been promised by the org that he would sign an ELC at the end of last season to burn his first year. Unfortunately, Briere took the GM job days before BC ended their season. Briere probably looked at the cap and decided he didnt want to have a cap overage for the next season which would slightly hand cuff him. Who knows exactly how that conversation went, but it makes sense that Cutter felt shafted by management. Briere maybe didnt let Cutter talk about the promises that were made. This arguably cost him millions of dollars in that he couldnt get to restricted free agency a year sooner. He then dominated at World Championships and I think to him was a sign that he deserved to play in the NHL at the end of the season.

As an FYI, it is somewhat common for players to sign their ELC immediately after the end of their college season. I think most of the time, this is after players play two or more seasons in College and the slide rule is no longer in effect. Its been an incentive to ensure college players sign out of college instead of going the 4 year Free Agent route. As a 5th Overall pick, he most likely felt he deserved that same right and was potentially promised that by the previous regime.

Edit to add that Matty Beniers did this exact thing in 2021-22 after playing his second season at Michigan, he played ten years for the Kraken to end the season and burn his ELC. Cole Caufield did the same thing in 2020-21 season after playing with Wisconsin, he finished the season playing 10 games for the Canadians.

Last edited:

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
32 Thoughts today Elliotte said the timeline was:

1. BC gets elminated. Cutter expected to be going Pro and burning the first year of his rookie contract as the Flyers had around 19 games left on the season.
2. Briere said they didnt want to have cap overage for next season and offered an AHL Tryout and to start his ELC the next season with no guaranteed roster spot.
3. Cutter declined the AHL Tryout and said he would perfer to go back to BC in that case. I believe this is where he felt slighted.
4. Cutter makes World Championship roster (somewhat rare for a non pro player to make this team)
5. Cutter dominated scoring 7 Goals and 2 Assist in 10 Games as a 19 year old.
6. Cutter's agent requested a Zoom Call with the Flyers to discuss.
7. Briere said he thought Cutter had a change of heart and wanted to go pro so he got a contract ready. Instead Cutter told them he didnt want to be a Flyer.

In the end this is far more believable than any of the crazy stuff that has been floated by the Flyers camp, directly or indirectly.

And once the decision was made by Gauthier's camp not to sign at all, the supposed "ghosting" at the WJC is irrelevant. If they wanted to meet with him individually at the tourney, and I presume they were gonna have people there scouting anyway, they should have requested said meeting well beforehand, and absolutely done it through his agent so that he could be there as well. You don't just ambush a 19 year old kid on his own. And if the other party says no, you respect that and leave him alone. If I were Gauthier and I had not agreed to any meeting at the WJC and they tried to butt in anyway, that'd definitely be the final straw. Flyers fans want to talk about unprofessional, THAT is the very definition right there. Leaking it to try and make the kid look bad, honestly I think it reflects more poorly on the Flyers' execs.

And at that point it seems like a trade with the Ducks was very close to happening, which I assume means he'd already been in touch with Anaheim (because no way they make that trade without being allowed to talk to him and find where he stood on signing with the Ducks). You're all but expecting to be traded and then at the last minute the team trading you wants a meeting to ... talk about what? Hell, I wouldn't take that meeting, there's nothing to gain at that point.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Not a good look for the flyers, the old school I’m in control here and do what I want mentality doesn’t line up with the young folks of today. If he was promised to sign last year and they didn’t follow through then it was his right to request a trade.

You reap what you sow.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Not a good look for the flyers, the old school I’m in control here and do what I want mentality doesn’t line up with the young folks of today. If he was promised to sign last year and they didn’t follow through then it was his right to request a trade.

You reap what you sow.
Odds are neither side is telling the truth.

Gauthier should either make specific claims or never speak on the matter again; he will always look worse than an entire organization, considering one is a teenager with zero NHL experience

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
In the end this is far more believable than any of the crazy stuff that has been floated by the Flyers camp, directly or indirectly.

And once the decision was made by Gauthier's camp not to sign at all, the supposed "ghosting" at the WJC is irrelevant. If they wanted to meet with him individually at the tourney, and I presume they were gonna have people there scouting anyway, they should have requested said meeting well beforehand, and absolutely done it through his agent so that he could be there as well. You don't just ambush a 19 year old kid on his own. And if the other party says no, you respect that and leave him alone. If I were Gauthier and I had not agreed to any meeting at the WJC and they tried to butt in anyway, that'd definitely be the final straw. Flyers fans want to talk about unprofessional, THAT is the very definition right there. Leaking it to try and make the kid look bad, honestly I think it reflects more poorly on the Flyers' execs.

And at that point it seems like a trade with the Ducks was very close to happening, which I assume means he'd already been in touch with Anaheim (because no way they make that trade without being allowed to talk to him and find where he stood on signing with the Ducks). You're all but expecting to be traded and then at the last minute the team trading you wants a meeting to ... talk about what? Hell, I wouldn't take that meeting, there's nothing to gain at that point.
Ambush? Ok

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
This is the funniest comment I’ve read yet about the trade.

If you actually believe this, you think way too highly of yourself and the other amateur scouts (and I’m using that word very generously) on the Flyers’ board.
It was a very vocal opinion on social media. I haven't even been on the flyers board in many months

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
Ambush? Ok

Yes, that's exactly what it is. You really think it's not an ambush for teams to attempt an unscheduled meeting with a teenager to talk about signing? Is it appropriate to try and meet with him without specifically scheduling something and giving him the opportunity to have his agent there?

I wouldn't even do that to a veteran player. You wanna talk business, fine ... but that's not the way to do it. And if he doesn't want to talk in that setting that certainly doesn't make him a villain.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
While I agree that game will be interesting - I'm sure CG is not losing sleep when it comes to pissing off the Flyers fans. That's going to be one game per year, and I expect that extra "sauce" will make him want to bring his best for that one even more.
That is true. Whatever a person has to say about the kid, he performs on the big stage when the pressure is on. That will be a good test on he can handle a hostile crowd.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad