Confirmed Trade: [ANA/NJD] Vatanen & conditional 3rd for Henrique, Blandisi & a 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Why wouldn't he? He's 26, not some declining over-the-hill 34 year old. I think our speed game fits Sami perfectly.
Sure he could bounce back, he might not. Who knows? Players decline at different ages. I was just stating that I'd take Larsson over the Vatanen over the last 1.5 years and that length of time makes me wary to say Vatanen is going to bounce back to his very best form, even if he's in his mid 20's. Personally I do expect Vatanen to bounce back but will he reach pre contract extension levels? Again I'm not convinced he'll bounce back that highly, but who knows? Maybe Devils system will just suit him perfectly and to be honest, Vatanen doesn't need to hit pre contract levels of play to be a great addition for the Devils, if he reaches that level that's just a bonus. However I fully expect him to be much better then what he has been for Anaheim this season (which wouldn't be hard to do tbf) and a good piece on the Devils 2nd pairing assuming he can get a stable stay at home type partner next to him.

End of the day, it's a good trade for both sides where both players have slid down their respective teams depth charts - Vatanen to the 3rd pairing and Henrique to the 4th (from what I've read) line. Both now get a chance to play a bigger role in their new teams, and have to think that will give both of them a shot in the arm to get that chance.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
If this was the return... I would have rather us have bought out Bieksa, have Vegas picked up a role player like Shaw/Kerdiles/etc, and traded Vatanen for a 1st or prospects... Now it feels like losing Theodore was to only save $3.5 million from Stoners contract.

Would have rather obtained Zacha & Santini... or Galenychuk... who are younger long term players.

I don't see either of those being realistic for Vatanen.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Ehhh he is a throw in. He does have good skill and a high motor, but I really doubt he ever puts it together. He takes way too many penalties, doesn’t play defense, and isn’t the best skater. Also got the whole diving nonsense too

I expect the Ducks send him to the AHL when they are healthy. He could chip in enough to help keep them floating until then so that is not bad all things considered.

you are describing our coach's dream player

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
That it is more his ceiling right now. If he can’t stay out of the box or hell stay on his skates he isn’t going to stick.

keep in. mind. we have had Perry AND Ryan on our team.....guys who skate like they have wax on their blades are fine with us!!

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
keep in. mind. we have had Perry AND Ryan on our team.....guys who skate like they have wax on their blades are fine with us!!

I think he could definitely be serviceable, especially while guys are hurt. Just wouldn’t expect too much from him.

Not the type of player to really tip the scales value wise.

He is actually pretty speedy. His skating issues is he can’t stsy on his skates. He falls down really easily.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I think this is a good trade for both teams. Ducks fill immediate and medium term needs and NJ gets a player who was being under utilized in Anaheim should be a very good fit on their team.

People who claim Vatanen has struggled are, in my opinion, basing much of that on his lack of offensive production. He has had some struggles returning from injury, but most of the reduced production was because he had fallen behind Montour, Fowler, and Lindholm in terms of his power play time and other offensive opportunities. That is why I feel he's underutilized - on most teams he would get first team power play time (as he has in the past with the Ducks), but he hasn't been of late. Simply put, he's not as valuable on the ducks given the diminished role he had (and would have continued to have).

I think NJ will be very happy with the player they added, but so will the Ducks.

Reactions: My3Sons

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Only NJ fans think they won the trade. Vatanen is extremely overrated, and I'm so happy this means the leafs won't get him. Blandisi is a solid bottom sixer right now imo.

Ducks easily win the trade imo. (posting this again)

Reactions: MichaelJ

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Only NJ fans think they won the trade. Vatanen is extremely overrated, and I'm so happy this means the leafs won't get him. Blandisi is a solid bottom sixer right now imo.

Yes and EDM easily won its trade with NJ and Hischier is a mediocre player in a bad draft. Plus I’m sure you’ve watched countless NJ games studying Rico so you know exactly the value of each player.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Yes and EDM easily won its trade with NJ and Hischier is a mediocre player in a bad draft. Plus I’m sure you’ve watched countless NJ games studying Rico so you know exactly the value of each player.
lol. Hall > Larsson, then, now and in the future.

Someone needs attention eh?

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Yes that would be you with your condescending hot take.
Heh. You're upset that I think the devils lost the trade? Grow up kid.

do you know what an opinion is? how many games have you watched vatanen play, from your home in NJ?

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Henrique is a pretty average middle-6 player. He had a great rookie year playing with Kovalchuk and Parise and scored some big OT goals for us in the playoffs that year, which people remember fondly. He never really took the next step, though.

Our young depth made him extremely replaceable, because on a good team that's all Henrique is. Forward depth. A guy that won't hurt you, but won't move the needle either. He'll get his 20 goals and 40 points and kill off some PKs, and most nights you won't even know he's there.

Henrique is a great guy. The boys in the locker room love him and he does a lot of charitable work in NJ. A lot of us are sad to lose this guy, he was a fan favorite. I'll miss the guy, but I won't miss the player.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think this is a good trade for both teams. Ducks fill immediate and medium term needs and NJ gets a player who was being under utilized in Anaheim should be a very good fit on their team.

People who claim Vatanen has struggled are, in my opinion, basing much of that on his lack of offensive production. He has had some struggles returning from injury, but most of the reduced production was because he had fallen behind Montour, Fowler, and Lindholm in terms of his power play time and other offensive opportunities. That is why I feel he's underutilized - on most teams he would get first team power play time (as he has in the past with the Ducks), but he hasn't been of late. Simply put, he's not as valuable on the ducks given the diminished role he had (and would have continued to have).

I think NJ will be very happy with the player they added, but so will the Ducks.

He should get plenty of power play time. We play with 4 forwards so I expect Severson to get the bump off the PP.

Question is does Vats end up with the big boys on PP1 or is he on PP2. Right now Butcher is pretty much locked in on the PP1.

Linda Bacon

Canada fan
Nov 7, 2017
Devils are very speedy, Henrique isn't the best skater. Ducks are more slower paced? good fit for Henrique, he might hit 30 goals if they stay healthy.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.

According to Sami Vatanen Fantasy Stats | RotoWire Fantasy Hockey

Vatanen last 3 seasons
2015-16 2:52 average power play time per game with 19 points in 71 games
2016-17 2:50 average power play time per game with 14 points in 71 games
2017-18 2:48 average power play time per game with 2 points in 15 games

Vatanen power play time has been so similar the problem is he hasn't been producing outside the power play the like he had from the 2015-16 and before.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
with montour breaking out, manson, lindholm, and fowler...they have their top 4, and they could sure use some more offense, so its a good move...good move for devils too they got and good top 4 D

nilssont

May 27, 2007
Good trade for both teams, I think Vatanen will bounce back in NJ.

Also good on the Devils for flipping Larsson, Henrique and Blandisi for Hall and Vatanen. Pretty good if you ask me

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey

Actually, the vast majority of people seem to think this trade is even. And the ones who don't think it's even are people of all different fan bases.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
According to Sami Vatanen Fantasy Stats | RotoWire Fantasy Hockey

Vatanen last 3 seasons
2015-16 2:52 average power play time per game with 19 points in 71 games
2016-17 2:50 average power play time per game with 14 points in 71 games
2017-18 2:48 average power play time per game with 2 points in 15 games

Vatanen power play time has been so similar the problem is he hasn't been producing outside the power play the like he had from the 2015-16 and before.

It is not just the amount of time you play, it is who you play with. He was no longer on the top power play (not to mention playing with an injured shoulder for much of the past 1.5 years).

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Actually, the vast majority of people seem to think this trade is even. And the ones who don't think it's even are people of all different fan bases.
Pretty much the people who are saying a team "won" this trade are fans of other teams. I don't understand the fascination of determining which team "won" a trade, maybe they both fill needs they needed to be filled?

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Pretty much the people who are saying a team "won" this trade are fans of other teams. I don't understand the fascination of determining which team "won" a trade, maybe they both fill needs they needed to be filled?

Yep. It seems Shero and Murray have a lot of trust in each other because they certainly make a lot of trades with each other.

Reactions: dracom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad