OT: An OT thread unlike any other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clock

May 13, 2006
I bought a few Litecoin. No idea if it will work out but the price has doubled since I did!

I should have bought Bitcoin a few days ago when it was down though lol.

I've got a side fund going to buy some. I think it can't be ignored at this point, the science behind it is too sound. If I had done my research five years ago or whatever it was I could've retired by now. Well, not really, but ya know.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I heard back!

And I didn't get the job. I'm very bitter today. The worst party about it is I'm in a field I hate, and the skills I'm gaining aren't going to lead me into the career I want.

What's worse? Passing by co-workers today, having to engage in casual talk, and tell them I'm doing good when they ask how I'm doing. In reality I'm in a disappointed mood. Oyee... I just have to keep grinding.
On the bright side, they are serving birthday cake later, and you still have your red Swingline stapler.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
I've got a side fund going to buy some. I think it can't be ignored at this point, the science behind it is too sound. If I had done my research five years ago or whatever it was I could've retired by now. Well, not really, but ya know.
You could be retired right now!
Just make the wife put her nose to the grindstone and scale back as needed.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
I'll be interested to see if they have the leasing option available. That would certainly take a bit of the risk out of it in terms of it being "outdated" in 3 years if self driving tech advances considerably. Lots of people are marking upcoming price drop in Lidar as being the moment that'll push the tech forward.

As far as the self driving goes, I do think we're still several years from a "fully automated driving" system, even with the AP2 tech onboard. We'll probably see improvements on the Current state of autopilot (maybe an "exit to exit" driving system that does highways autonomously), but I don't think we'll reach "take a nap wake up at your destination" levels yet.

The one thing I'm excited for is the OTA(over the air) updates for your car. Go to bed, wake up and the car's 0-60 time is improved, or you get a few extra miles range out of the battery pack, etc. What they've been able to do with the Model S's software via regular updates is really quite amazing.

You should come out to PHX and get a ride in the Uber autonomous vehicles we are testing out here.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
So I took this week off to drive my wife down the coast for some fellowship interviews. In Richmond tomorrow. Got about 8 hours to kill. Any advice?

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I lived it for about 15 years.

How did you get out of it? I feel like I'm stranded on an island.

I apply for jobs in the field I want, but I can't take a pay cut because my student loans are going up $200 a month in October. So every job i apply for that would pay $33000 or more a year requires a four year degree and 3+years of experience. It's horseradish. Go back 20 years and people were getting those jobs in their mid-20s with no college debt.

College is such a ****ing burden financially that I'm starting to think it was a horrible decision to get a bachelor's degree. I wish I would've got a cool ass trade, made $40000 starting, and had hardly any debt.

Unfortunately when I graduated highschool I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, and listened to everyone who told me you need a four year degree to survive in this world. **** that! Give me a trade any day of the week, and twice on Sundays. This cubicle life ain't for me.

Last edited:

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Dunkirk was really good. Interesting examination of war and victory in retreating. Nolan really should be one of the few directors trusted with a huge budget these days.

Though, I'd be interested to see him do a smaller movie again like Memento or The Prestige.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I apply for jobs in the field I want, but I can't take a pay cut because my student loans are going up $200 a month in October. So every job i apply for that would pay $33000 or more a year requires a four year degree and 3+years of experience. It's horseradish. Go back 20 years and people were getting those jobs in their mid-20s with no college debt.

College is such a ****ing burden financially that I'm starting to think it was a horrible decision to get a bachelor's degree. I wish I would've got a cool ass trade, made $40000 starting, and had hardly any debt.

Unfortunately when I graduated highschool I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, and listened to everyone who told me you need a four year degree to survive in this world. **** that! Give me a trade any day of the week, and twice on Sundays. This cubicle life ain't for me.

In a nutshell, I got laid off.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

I floated around entry level hell for around 5-6 years....switched jobs twice, got laid off once. I lucked into a job where they had a high need and took a chance on me and let me learn on the fly. From there, I took a promotion no one wanted (night shift), did that for 6 months. I was able to nearly double my salary by switching jobs twice. To get there, I worked in a call center for 2 years, drove around Chicago doing on site l1 hardware work for 2 years, 6 months on unemployment, 12 months in probably the worst desktop support job you can imagine (that paid less than my first job).

My advice is stick with it and not settle. Careers are moving targets and you need to be ready to add skills and evolve with the market and demands. Be flexible. Never get comfortable and **** any sort of company loyalty unless the company shows it first. Because nearly every company in this country will kick you to the curb to hit the CEO's bonus if they can.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I floated around entry level hell for around 5-6 years....switched jobs twice, got laid off once. I lucked into a job where they had a high need and took a chance on me and let me learn on the fly. From there, I took a promotion no one wanted (night shift), did that for 6 months. I was able to nearly double my salary by switching jobs twice. To get there, I worked in a call center for 2 years, drove around Chicago doing on site l1 hardware work for 2 years, 6 months on unemployment, 12 months in probably the worst desktop support job you can imagine (that paid less than my first job).

My advice is stick with it and not settle. Careers are moving targets and you need to be ready to add skills and evolve with the market and demands. Be flexible. Never get comfortable and **** any sort of company loyalty unless the company shows it first. Because nearly every company in this country will kick you to the curb to hit the CEO's bonus if they can.
Yeah. I just have to keep grinding. Still a bit bitter about not getting the job. I want to get into real estate development, and eventually transition into an urban planner. The job I interviewed for was the perfect position for that, and I barely missed out.

Oh well... The positive side is the hiring manager said he was really impressed with me, and that he's keeping my resume because he thinks I'd be a great fit in the company. Could be he tells everyone that, but I think I gained a good connection.

In a nutshell, I got laid off.

Blessing in disguise?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
She was one of my favorite people. I mean, she was 99 so it was inevitable but she was iconic in so many things from my childhood.

Exactly! Witch Hazel, Cindyloo Who, Rocky, Nagaina... hell Fa's encouraging grandmother in Mulan. Her work is iconic .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad