OT: An OT thread unlike any other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clock

May 13, 2006
Waiting for the triumphant return of our savior. Welcome back. Meet the new boss; same as the old boss. These droids brought us plans to an Empire device called a "Death Star". Wanna help us destroy it?

I mean, I'm no savior, but really... that lasted for a year. A YEAR.

With everything that's happened in the past year, ONE OT THREAD? ONE!?!@?!?

So "Wonder Woman" was good. You want to know when you knew it was good? It was when you realized she wasn't going to say "I'm not a man."

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I mean, I'm no savior, but really... that lasted for a year. A YEAR.

With everything that's happened in the past year, ONE OT THREAD? ONE!?!@?!?

So "Wonder Woman" was good. You want to know when you knew it was good? It was when you realized she wasn't going to say "I'm not a man."

Yes, Wonder Woman was good.

??? Well short of a year. Coincidentally, the prior OT lasted as long as the median human gestational period ~266-267 days.

This OT truly is a new baby. We should name it. How about Diana Prince?

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+

??? Well short of a year. Coincidentally, the prior OT lasted as long as the median human gestational period ~266-267 days.

You're 3 weeks too early!
:scared:

Clock

May 13, 2006
"Descendants 2" wasn't bad. It could've been terrible, but it was still amusing. I'm on board.

What've we got now, 7 days left for the full Tesla Model 3 unveiling? Where are my reservation buddies at?

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
"Descendants 2" wasn't bad. It could've been terrible, but it was still amusing. I'm on board.

What've we got now, 7 days left for the full Tesla Model 3 unveiling? Where are my reservation buddies at?

At this point there isn't a TON unknown.

Still waiting on

-Exact Specs (Range, Battery Size, etc)
-When other options are available (elon has said first production you will basically only get to choose color/ wheel size)

I'm still debating on whether or not I should wait for AWD or take it ASAP at the base config.

I guess there are little things we'll find out. I'm actually more anticipating getting some 3rd party reviews of the thing and some thoughts from actual owners.

I've also been semi stalking the preowned Model S's. If you don't care about AP1 vs AP2, there's gonna be some good deals on the CPO Model S's. The 1st gen AP1 hit production 3 years ago this fall, so we are seeing more and more CPO Model S's with AP1 starting to come in. They are still more expensive than the 3, but having driven one....they are quite the car. But, with the Federal incentives, the price difference is still probably too much.

Though, the latest new production Model S's, they are putting in new electric motors that drop the 0-60 on the base Model S down to the low 4s. If I only had zero responsibilities and unlimited funds....

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix

Don't you know better than to assume OT's gender, the name should be gender neutral.

Clock

May 13, 2006
At this point there isn't a TON unknown.

Still waiting on

-Exact Specs (Range, Battery Size, etc)
-When other options are available (elon has said first production you will basically only get to choose color/ wheel size)

I'm still debating on whether or not I should wait for AWD or take it ASAP at the base config.

I guess there are little things we'll find out. I'm actually more anticipating getting some 3rd party reviews of the thing and some thoughts from actual owners.

I've also been semi stalking the preowned Model S's. If you don't care about AP1 vs AP2, there's gonna be some good deals on the CPO Model S's. The 1st gen AP1 hit production 3 years ago this fall, so we are seeing more and more CPO Model S's with AP1 starting to come in. They are still more expensive than the 3, but having driven one....they are quite the car. But, with the Federal incentives, the price difference is still probably too much.

Though, the latest new production Model S's, they are putting in new electric motors that drop the 0-60 on the base Model S down to the low 4s. If I only had zero responsibilities and unlimited funds....

I ORIGINALLY wanted AWD, but I can't ignore the 7500 credit. I'm trying to look at it like... I'm coming from a 2010 Nissan. This is clearly going to be an upgrade in almost every reasonable way.

The more interesting thing for me is the lease vs. buy options. I guess the lease option doesn't come into play until later, but eh. The speed is going to be great, the charging is going to be great, but the self-driving is my killer app. Seeing the updates getting pumped out and knowing that the hardware is all in place gives me absolutely zero pause that the capabilities there are going to skyrocket even if I hold onto it for five years.

But yes, Doak - the S still looks sweet. My local buddy who's also a rabid follower has contemplated going the same route.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
DAY one of my CF-L1 is in the books.

Learning so much and I felt like I was sweating to death because it was so freaking hot.

The drive home tomorrow is not going to be great.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
That. Plus not working and feeling a bit depressed these days. But hopefully life turns up

Funny thing about weekends When you're unemployed.
They don't quite mean so much,
except you get to hang out with all your working friends.

- Primus

Seriously, I hope things turn around for ya.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Took the plunge :yo:

Order Summary

------- Order 1 -------
Sales Order Number: 401641711
Sales Order Date: 7/23/2017 8:46:13 PM

1 x ($479.99) EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC2 GAMING iCX, 08G-P4-6573-KR, 8GB GDDR5, 9 Thermal Sensors, Asynchronous Fan Control, Thermal Display LED System, Optimized Airflow Fin Design, Die Cast/Form Fitted Baseplate/Backplate
$479.99

1 x ($339.99) Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake Quad-Core 4.2 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80677I77700K Desktop Processor
$339.99

1 x ($274.99) CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) Memory Kit Model CMK32GX4M2A2666C16
$274.99

1 x ($234.00) SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 500GB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V6E500BW
$234.00

1 x ($169.99) ASUS PRIME Z270-A LGA 1151 Intel Z270 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Motherboards - Intel
$169.99

1 x ($119.99) EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 220-G2-0750-XR 80+ GOLD 750W Fully Modular EVGA ECO Mode Includes FREE Power On Self Tester Power Supply
$119.99

1 x ($114.99) Plantronics RIG 500E Surround Sound PC Headset - E-Sports Edition
$114.99

1 x ($84.99) EVGA GeForce GT 1030 DirectX 12 02G-P4-6338-KR 2GB 64-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card
$84.99

1 x ($79.99) Corsair Gaming K68 Mechanical Keyboard, Backlit Red LED, Cherry MX Red
$79.99

1 x ($59.99) Thermaltake CL-P021-CA12BU-A 120mm Hydraulic Riing Silent 12 Pro Blue LED 170W Intel/AMD PWM Fan Black CPU Cooler
$59.99

1 x ($6.14) ARCTIC MX-4 Thermal Paste, Carbon Based High Performance Thermal Compound for All Coolers, Thermal Interface Material, 4 Grams
$6.14

Subtotal: $1,965.05
Tax: $0.00
Shipping and Handling: $7.47
Total Amount: $1,972.52

------- Order 2 -------
Sales Order Number: 401641731

1 x ($59.99) Zowie Gear EC2-A Wired USB Optical Gaming Mouse (Black)
$59.99

Subtotal: $59.99
Shipping and Handling: $0.00
Total Amount: $59.99

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I ORIGINALLY wanted AWD, but I can't ignore the 7500 credit. I'm trying to look at it like... I'm coming from a 2010 Nissan. This is clearly going to be an upgrade in almost every reasonable way.

The more interesting thing for me is the lease vs. buy options. I guess the lease option doesn't come into play until later, but eh. The speed is going to be great, the charging is going to be great, but the self-driving is my killer app. Seeing the updates getting pumped out and knowing that the hardware is all in place gives me absolutely zero pause that the capabilities there are going to skyrocket even if I hold onto it for five years.

But yes, Doak - the S still looks sweet. My local buddy who's also a rabid follower has contemplated going the same route.

I'll be interested to see if they have the leasing option available. That would certainly take a bit of the risk out of it in terms of it being "outdated" in 3 years if self driving tech advances considerably. Lots of people are marking upcoming price drop in Lidar as being the moment that'll push the tech forward.

As far as the self driving goes, I do think we're still several years from a "fully automated driving" system, even with the AP2 tech onboard. We'll probably see improvements on the Current state of autopilot (maybe an "exit to exit" driving system that does highways autonomously), but I don't think we'll reach "take a nap wake up at your destination" levels yet.

The one thing I'm excited for is the OTA(over the air) updates for your car. Go to bed, wake up and the car's 0-60 time is improved, or you get a few extra miles range out of the battery pack, etc. What they've been able to do with the Model S's software via regular updates is really quite amazing.

Clock

May 13, 2006

Sweet bitcoin miner!

I've gotta buy some.

Also, you're missing an HTC Vive.

Sweet rig.

Have fun.

I'll be interested to see if they have the leasing option available. That would certainly take a bit of the risk out of it in terms of it being "outdated" in 3 years if self driving tech advances considerably. Lots of people are marking upcoming price drop in Lidar as being the moment that'll push the tech forward.

As far as the self driving goes, I do think we're still several years from a "fully automated driving" system, even with the AP2 tech onboard. We'll probably see improvements on the Current state of autopilot (maybe an "exit to exit" driving system that does highways autonomously), but I don't think we'll reach "take a nap wake up at your destination" levels yet.

The one thing I'm excited for is the OTA(over the air) updates for your car. Go to bed, wake up and the car's 0-60 time is improved, or you get a few extra miles range out of the battery pack, etc. What they've been able to do with the Model S's software via regular updates is really quite amazing.

Yes to everything. I believe it's been said that basically, if you have a car with the AP2 hardware, then the full self-driving you're describing is just a matter of getting the software / database right. And like you said, with the firmware pushes, I don't see any reason that buying would give anyone pause that they won't eventually get that feature, or at least something really, really close to it.

But yeah. I hope they have leasing plans up-front. That's the ideal direction.

What do you think, Doak? If they say that you can pick yours up at Fremont factory, would you? I seriously think I would.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I'll disagree with Doak and say call them. It can't hurt you to do so. I'd tell them you have another, less preferred, opportunity, and ask them if you are still in consideration for their position.

I sent an email late Friday afternoon. I still haven't heard anything back, though the email didn't require an answer.

I wrote:

Hi *Name*,

Hope all is well! It was mentioned during the interview that a decision would likely be made by the middle of July. I'm eager to hear an update. Please let me know if there is anything I can provide you with to assist with the decision-making process.

Thank you,
Dubister!

Amazing the lack of communication skills/courtesy in this day and age of constant in your face communication. Over the years I hired scores of professionals personally and chaired committees that screened thousands for high paying prestigious positions. Everyone was told what to expect. If no call by x then sorry we were not interviewing you. If we interviewed -and sometimes over a hundred for several positions at a time then if you did not hear by y then we were not inviting you for second interview. It was explained that getting back personally was too much of a strain on staff time. After that those on short list were notified immediately of success or lack thereof. I felt better about it and my staff did not have to field calls from distraught applicants. Now without having to rely on phone (phone tag) and snail mail-postage and typing and cost of paper and envelopes the discourtesy is just staggering.

It is mind boggling that I can get down to the final interview, and hear nothing back. I assumed they'd send a generic denial email to all the final interviewees. There's still time, tho. I've read online that most interviewers are rather lenient with their timeline, especially considering there was a holiday after the second interview.

Last edited:

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
That. Plus not working and feeling a bit depressed these days. But hopefully life turns up
Hey, at least you still have alcohol and harmless gateway drugs. In all seriousness, do something new you've been wanting to do, but haven't had the chance. Do someting you enjoy / enjoyed in the past, but havent had time to do.

Order Summary

------- Order 1 -------
Sales Order Number: 401641711

1 x ($479.99) EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC2 GAMING iCX, 08G-P4-6573-KR, 8GB GDDR5, 9 Thermal Sensors, Asynchronous Fan Control, Thermal Display LED System, Optimized Airflow Fin Design, Die Cast/Form Fitted Baseplate/Backplate
$479.99

1 x ($339.99) Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake Quad-Core 4.2 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80677I77700K Desktop Processor
$339.99

1 x ($274.99) CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) Memory Kit Model CMK32GX4M2A2666C16
$274.99

1 x ($234.00) SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 500GB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V6E500BW
$234.00

1 x ($169.99) ASUS PRIME Z270-A LGA 1151 Intel Z270 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Motherboards - Intel
$169.99

1 x ($119.99) EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 220-G2-0750-XR 80+ GOLD 750W Fully Modular EVGA ECO Mode Includes FREE Power On Self Tester Power Supply
$119.99

1 x ($114.99) Plantronics RIG 500E Surround Sound PC Headset - E-Sports Edition
$114.99

1 x ($84.99) EVGA GeForce GT 1030 DirectX 12 02G-P4-6338-KR 2GB 64-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card
$84.99

1 x ($79.99) Corsair Gaming K68 Mechanical Keyboard, Backlit Red LED, Cherry MX Red
$79.99

1 x ($59.99) Thermaltake CL-P021-CA12BU-A 120mm Hydraulic Riing Silent 12 Pro Blue LED 170W Intel/AMD PWM Fan Black CPU Cooler
$59.99

1 x ($6.14) ARCTIC MX-4 Thermal Paste, Carbon Based High Performance Thermal Compound for All Coolers, Thermal Interface Material, 4 Grams
$6.14

Subtotal: $1,965.05
Shipping and Handling: $7.47
Total Amount: $1,972.52

------- Order 2 -------
Sales Order Number: 401641731

1 x ($59.99) Zowie Gear EC2-A Wired USB Optical Gaming Mouse (Black)
$59.99

Subtotal: $59.99
Shipping and Handling: $0.00
Total Amount: $59.99
Have fun with that!!!!

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

Make sure you test the self-braking feature more intelligently than these people did.

In the beginning, you can hear him (Spanish) telling everyone to be careful.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I heard back!

And I didn't get the job. I'm very bitter today. The worst party about it is I'm in a field I hate, and the skills I'm gaining aren't going to lead me into the career I want.

What's worse? Passing by co-workers today, having to engage in casual talk, and tell them I'm doing good when they ask how I'm doing. In reality I'm in a disappointed mood. Oyee... I just have to keep grinding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad