Status
Not open for further replies.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
ee80bd608f430135f2f7005056a9545d

Sadly, Dilbert's writer (scott adams) has gone far off the rails in terms of facts and logic with his own personal twitter account.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I have to disagree, while I will say it's not 100% true in all cases... I have a group of 12 post grad biomedical engineers in my work area. They do everything possible to avoid working and worse make no attempt to even appear like they are working.
<snipped examples>
They are all here for remediation and hopefully not the future of our engineering group, because that scares the living **** out of me.
A man named Crazy Tasty in charge of rehabilitating a dozen younger workers in his field. Irony?

That sounds like most of the staff I worked with at the large, multinational house of blood money I worked at for 15 years. And none of them were close to being "Millennial". Somewhere I have an internal conversation that is now close to 20 years old that was a day spend coming up with Pabst slogans.

It also sounds strikingly like the place I worked before that, where people took multiple smoke breaks after their coffee breaks so that they could then go talk on the phone.

Or my father's conversations about the guys who would punch in at their job, then take a coffee break to go punch in at another job, then come back so they could sling a hammock in a broom closet and get paid by both ConRail and Bethlehem Steel for sleeping.

****ty people doing ****ty things. It transcends generations.
Today's survey question: Do you feel guilty checking HFboards while at work?
__Yes
__No

I'll concede that point, however in this place that I've worked for the last 9 years, that wasn't the case. Our headcount was too lean to be able to be lazy. We had our moments for sure, but waaaay more productive then compared to now.

meh, not that long ago I searched Google for 'colleges with cheapest or lowest tuition' and discovered long lists of good schools all over the country with tuition of 5-6K. if somebody young can't earn 5K from May to September they just aren't trying. 'more pressure in general' LOL
how old are you? try interest rates of 18%.

higher costs of living? more BS - big screen TV's for 200 dollars, clothing has never been cheaper, computers for 300 dollars, food is cheaper than at any point in history, used cars in great condition are plentiful - housing prices have risen over time but in WNY rent/mortgage is reasonable.

Ah right. The college debt crisis doesn't exist because you googled for some good schools.
You know that's not what he's saying. A cost/benefit and payback/cashflow analysis
should be done for college just like any other large outlay of money.

This talk about one generation pooing on the next is just small potatoes anyway. If you really want to talk about generational gaps, look at how ancient man had to live vs people from the last 100 years.

-Ancient man had to kill his meal first with weapons carved from wood/stone, modern man has to push a heavy shopping cart on a tile floor, and uses a pocket knife to cut open the food packaging on occasion.
-Ancient man fought off bacterial disease from unclean meat/water when he was lucky enough to find it, modern man gets the sniffles and a tummy ache from eating too much.
-Ancient man had to protect land/tribe or settle disputes through hard battle, modern man has a lawyer sign binding litigation settlements for him.
-Ancient man fought against weather and natural predators (even dinosaurs...I saw it on 'The Flintstones'), while modern man turns up his thermostat and calls an exterminator.
-Ancient man built stuff with his bare hands, modern man turns on the assembly line power or the 3D printer.
-Ancient man sent messages to far away tribes by walking there and telling them in person, modern man sends a text in between watching a stupid video and taking a selfie.

I think ancient man kicks modern man's tail, even if their music was a bunch of guttural, off-key moaning.
[approval]Grunt Grunt [/approval]

Gras and I probably share a similar enough view. If the Fed Govt didn't subsidize secondary education so heavily / make funds so readily available, costs wouldn't be so high. Campuses wouldn't over-build, Colleges and Universities would offer less redundant degrees and programs, etc. If a college or university knows that $0.40 (I'm making that number up - will Google a real value) of every cap-ex or Op-ex dollar they spend will be reimbursed through overly-offered student loans, then they have little incentive to rein in their enrollments, facilities, etc. Some temperance and prudence is needed.

Reactions: Gras

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Sadly, Dilbert's writer (scott adams) has gone far off the rails in terms of facts and logic with his own personal twitter account.
Yeah.. he only correctly predicted the election, unlike half the idiots on Twitter

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
A man named Crazy Tasty in charge of rehabilitating a dozen younger workers in his field. Irony?

:laugh:. I'm not in charge of them, in fact they appear to have little to no management, which likely doesn't help. But, from the conversations that I hear, 8 out of the 9 hours I am here a day, they don't really need management because they seem to know everything about all that has been or will be.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
:laugh:. I'm not in charge of them, in fact they appear to have little to no management, which likely doesn't help. But, from the conversations that I hear, 8 out of the 9 hours I am here a day, they don't really need management because they seem to know everything about all that has been or will be.

Are they hockey fans? It’s just that description reminds me of a certain virtual space involved with hockey. :biglaugh:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Dad brag incoming. My son got bumped up to Squirts. Just turned 7 a little while ago. Easily the smallest kid on his team, and youngest. Eyes as big as quarters. But he loved it. He had 12 goals in 5 games as a 8U mite, and had an assist today in squirts.

/dad brag.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Trivia:

Walked by a guy who said his first name was Justin. He allegedly played for the Sabres under bowman, came from Detroit, any ideas?

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Also, visited the hhof, was pretty sweet. That being said, they had a shop at the end, and the incredible lack of anything with a Sabres logo on it was almost sarcastic. Walked out empty handed, as there was only Eichel jerseys.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Trivia:

Walked by a guy who said his first name was Justin. He allegedly played for the Sabres under bowman, came from Detroit, any ideas?
There have been 482 Buffalo Sabres. Let's list all possible Justins, then we'll narrow it down by the Bowman era.
Justins
Justin Bailey
Justin Falk

Bowman Era Justins, Dustins, etc.

Born in Detroit

Mike Grier
Mike Hartman
David Legwand
Don McSween
Kevin Porter

Born in Michigan
Mike Donnelly
Nathan Gerbe
Mike Grier
Mike Hartman
David Legwand
Don McSween
Kevin Porter
Wayne Presley
Zach Redmond
Corey Tropp

I know a kid named Justin who claims he plays for the Amerks and now has been getting roasted on WGR for calling a few times and saying he should be the Bills QB. Your guy is probably just a case of a misheard name, or other mixup.

Reactions: Gabrielor

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Very impressive breakdown. I too found that the only Justin’s currently played for the team, and so brought it here

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Trivia:

Very impressive breakdown. I too found that the only Justin’s currently played for the team, and so brought it here

Slightly different angle.

How old was he? Anyone who played for Buffalo under Bowman would be anywhere from their late 50's on up, and Justin isn't a common name for men of those generations.

Bowman's only trade with Detroit which brought players back included Dale McCourt, Brent Petersen, & Mike Foligno (& sent Schoenfeld, Gare, Derek Smith). (He separately sent Bob Sauve and Ric Seiling to Detroit - Scotty really changed the 1980s Sabres, and not really for the better.)

You'd recognize Foligno - he's been shown on Sabres broadcasts in the stands, still looks like he did, and his nose hasn't been straight for almost 40 years.

Don Luce is the only other former Red Wing I'm aware of who played for Bowman. Luce is probably nearly 70 now.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Slightly different angle.

How old was he? Anyone who played for Buffalo under Bowman would be anywhere from their late 50's on up, and Justin isn't a common name for men of those generations.

Bowman's only trade with Detroit which brought players back included Dale McCourt, Brent Petersen, & Mike Foligno (& sent Schoenfeld, Gare, Derek Smith). (He separately sent Bob Sauve and Ric Seiling to Detroit - Scotty really changed the 1980s Sabres, and not really for the better.)

You'd recognize Foligno - he's been shown on Sabres broadcasts in the stands, still looks like he did, and his nose hasn't been straight for almost 40 years.

Don Luce is the only other former Red Wing I'm aware of who played for Bowman. Luce is probably nearly 70 now.

Male appeared to be mid 50s, maybe 5’11” to 6’0” (about my height). The convo:

(Notices I’m on the street, in Toronto, in a Sabres jacket and Bills hat)

Him: (points at Sabs logo) “I played for them. Bowman picked me up off of Detroit”

Me: “What’s your name?”

Him: “My first name is Justin”.

Sounded weird the way he said it, and I found Falk and Bailey as the only 2 Justins are the alumni list. Figured I’d bring it here.

Note that he was clean shaven, in a black leather jacket, and looked relatively clean kept.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
@Gabrielor There aren't many Justins in total on Hockey Reference and none in that BUF/Bowman era, so "play" could have been a stretch. It may be more along the lines of a camp invite, minors signing, or something in that ilk.

Bowman, though, did draft enforcer Justin Ali Butorac in 1981 and he's known as Ali in most circles, including NHL.com, so perhaps that's it. Google and you'll see Butorac was enough of a junior enforcer to get mentioned in excerpts of a few books. One excerpt in Kilrea's book had him returning to the team hotel with food ahead of curfew, as Boyd and Cunneyworth witnessed him make quick work of three loud drug-dealing or -using neighbors so they could get to sleep. The other excerpt from Probert's book had him trash-talking the Brantford bench, which pulled him in and spat in his face, kick-starting a bench-clearing brawl.

Even Scotland had tales to tell: "As Metros they also signed one Ali Butorac, who, Fife fans with good memories and strong constitutions may recall icing here under the name of Justin Butorac in the chaotic team that crashed to relegation circa 1989. Butorac was the last throw of the ice in a truly shambolic season which saw us go through no fewer than three bench coaches - the late Milan Figala, taskmaster Mike Fedorko and club stalwart Chic Cottrell - and 11 imports which was pretty ghastly when you consider teams only iced three back then. He was billed as a no-nonsense defenceman, and boy he could fight - just ask John Kidd - but beyond that, on and off the ice, he was dreadful. He later resurfaced in Paisley as ‘Ali Butorac’ where we got the bizarre story of the day he boarded the bus to Streatham for his debut and got beaten up pre-game in a dressing-room fracas involving outsiders before the match started. Presumably, an old score was settled in true east end tradition."

Last edited:
Reactions: cybresabre

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I considered Van Halen, but Diver Down should have remained sunk at the bottom of the ocean and not allowed to surface for air.

The Clash definitely worthy of consideration, especially given the genre-change / wave they surfed.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Best initial 5-album anthology (from band inception):
Led Zeppelin or
The Police

Are there any other challengers? U2?
Iron Maiden
Killers
Number of the Beast
Piece of Mind