OT: An OT thread unlike any other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
I find a lot of the things said about the young to be massive ****ing fabrications by older generations in much the same way Boomers **** upon Xers in my youth and Silents crapped on Boomers in theirs.
I have to disagree, while I will say it's not 100% true in all cases... I have a group of 12 post grad biomedical engineers in my work area. They do everything possible to avoid working and worse make no attempt to even appear like they are working. Every day, 4+ trips to the cafeteria, walking as slow as possible checking their phones and clogging up foot traffic. Words with Friends discussions for at least an hour, not to mention instagram/snapchat/general social media conversations. The other day, one spent the entire afternoon drawing Puff the Magic dragon characters on all of the white boards attached to their cubes. They are all here for remediation and hopefully not the future of our engineering group, because that scares the living shit out of me.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I have to disagree, while I will say it's not 100% true in all cases... I have a group of 12 post grad biomedical engineers in my work area. They do everything possible to avoid working and worse make no attempt to even appear like they are working. Every day, 4+ trips to the cafeteria, walking as slow as possible checking their phones and clogging up foot traffic. Words with Friends discussions for at least an hour, not to mention instagram/snapchat/general social media conversations. The other day, one spent the entire afternoon drawing Puff the Magic dragon characters on all of the white boards attached to their cubes. They are all here for remediation and hopefully not the future of our engineering group, because that scares the living **** out of me.

That sounds like most of the staff I worked with at the large, multinational house of blood money I worked at for 15 years. And none of them were close to being "Millennial". Somewhere I have an internal conversation that is now close to 20 years old that was a day spend coming up with Pabst slogans.

It also sounds strikingly like the place I worked before that, where people took multiple smoke breaks after their coffee breaks so that they could then go talk on the phone.

Or my father's conversations about the guys who would punch in at their job, then take a coffee break to go punch in at another job, then come back so they could sling a hammock in a broom closet and get paid by both ConRail and Bethlehem Steel for sleeping.

Shitty people doing shitty things. It transcends generations.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
That sounds like most of the staff I worked with at the large, multinational house of blood money I worked at for 15 years. And none of them were close to being "Millennial". Somewhere I have an internal conversation that is now close to 20 years old that was a day spend coming up with Pabst slogans.

It also sounds strikingly like the place I worked before that, where people took multiple smoke breaks after their coffee breaks so that they could then go talk on the phone.

Or my father's conversations about the guys who would punch in at their job, then take a coffee break to go punch in at another job, then come back so they could sling a hammock in a broom closet and get paid by both ConRail and Bethlehem Steel for sleeping.

****ty people doing ****ty things. It transcends generations.

I'll concede that point, however in this place that I've worked for the last 9 years, that wasn't the case. Our headcount was too lean to be able to be lazy. We had our moments for sure, but waaaay more productive then compared to now.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY

****ty people doing ****ty things. It transcends generations.
Completely agree. Older generations always love to shit on younger generations. I find it obnoxious at times.

How about we talk about how f***ed current generations are? More school debt than ever, lower wages relative to inflation, higher costs of living just to make ends meet, more pressure in general.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I have to disagree, while I will say it's not 100% true in all cases... I have a group of 12 post grad biomedical engineers in my work area. They do everything possible to avoid working and worse make no attempt to even appear like they are working. Every day, 4+ trips to the cafeteria, walking as slow as possible checking their phones and clogging up foot traffic. Words with Friends discussions for at least an hour, not to mention instagram/snapchat/general social media conversations. The other day, one spent the entire afternoon drawing Puff the Magic dragon characters on all of the white boards attached to their cubes. They are all here for remediation and hopefully not the future of our engineering group, because that scares the living **** out of me.

every industry is very competitive these days, how do people like this avoid being fired?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I believe it is all about generational maturity.

Think about Baby Boomers during the free love and Woodstock period. They eventually grew up.

Gen X wearing flannel during the grunge years.

And on and on it goes.

Millenials will whine and moan about those darn kids when they are old farts, too.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
I believe it is all about generational maturity.

Think about Baby Boomers during the free love and Woodstock period. They eventually grew up.

Gen X wearing flannel during the grunge years.

And on and on it goes.

Millenials will whine and moan about those darn kids when they are old farts, too.
Those darn kids and their darn crappy music!

Reactions: Chainshot

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Completely agree. Older generations always love to **** on younger generations. I find it obnoxious at times.

How about we talk about how ****ed current generations are? More school debt than ever, lower wages relative to inflation, higher costs of living just to make ends meet, more pressure in general.

meh, not that long ago I searched Google for 'colleges with cheapest or lowest tuition' and discovered long lists of good schools all over the country with tuition of 5-6K. if somebody young can't earn 5K from May to September they just aren't trying. 'more pressure in general' LOL
how old are you? try interest rates of 18%.

As summer 2017 begins, America’s teenagers are far less likely to be acquiring the kinds of experiences Doyle found so useful. Once a teenage rite of passage, the summer job is vanishing.
Instead of baling hay, scooping ice cream or stocking supermarket shelves in July and August, today’s teens are more likely to be enrolled in summer school, doing volunteer work to burnish their college credentials or just hanging out with friends.

higher costs of living? more BS - big screen TV's for 200 dollars, clothing has never been cheaper, computers for 300 dollars, food is cheaper than at any point in history, used cars in great condition are plentiful - housing prices have risen over time but in WNY rent/mortgage is reasonable.

Reactions: brian_griffin

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
meh, not that long ago I searched Google for 'colleges with cheapest or lowest tuition' and discovered long lists of good schools all over the country with tuition of 5-6K. if somebody young can't earn 5K from May to September they just aren't trying. 'more pressure in general' LOL
how old are you? try interest rates of 18%.

higher costs of living? more BS - big screen TV's for 200 dollars, clothing has never been cheaper, computers for 300 dollars, food is cheaper than at any point in history, used cars in great condition are plentiful - housing prices have risen over time but in WNY rent/mortgage is reasonable.
Ah right. The college debt crisis doesn't exist because you googled for some good schools.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
If someone's lazy then they're lazy. I'm a millennial and in charge of guys/girl from my age range to 60. There's motivated ones at each end and whiners at each end. Imo, it comes from the majority of the population just getting softer year after year.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
This talk about one generation pooing on the next is just small potatoes anyway. If you really want to talk about generational gaps, look at how ancient man had to live vs people from the last 100 years.

-Ancient man had to kill his meal first with weapons carved from wood/stone, modern man has to push a heavy shopping cart on a tile floor, and uses a pocket knife to cut open the food packaging on occasion.
-Ancient man fought off bacterial disease from unclean meat/water when he was lucky enough to find it, modern man gets the sniffles and a tummy ache from eating too much.
-Ancient man had to protect land/tribe or settle disputes through hard battle, modern man has a lawyer sign binding litigation settlements for him.
-Ancient man fought against weather and natural predators (even dinosaurs...I saw it on 'The Flintstones'), while modern man turns up his thermostat and calls an exterminator.
-Ancient man built stuff with his bare hands, modern man turns on the assembly line power or the 3D printer.
-Ancient man sent messages to far away tribes by walking there and telling them in person, modern man sends a text in between watching a stupid video and taking a selfie.

I think ancient man kicks modern man's tail, even if their music was a bunch of guttural, off-key moaning.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
This talk about one generation pooing on the next is just small potatoes anyway. If you really want to talk about generational gaps, look at how ancient man had to live vs people from the last 100 years.

-Ancient man had to kill his meal first with weapons carved from wood/stone, modern man has to push a heavy shopping cart on a tile floor, and uses a pocket knife to cut open the food packaging on occasion.
-Ancient man fought off bacterial disease from unclean meat/water when he was lucky enough to find it, modern man gets the sniffles and a tummy ache from eating too much.
-Ancient man had to protect land/tribe or settle disputes through hard battle, modern man has a lawyer sign binding litigation settlements for him.
-Ancient man fought against weather and natural predators (even dinosaurs...I saw it on 'The Flintstones'), while modern man turns up his thermostat and calls an exterminator.
-Ancient man built stuff with his bare hands, modern man turns on the assembly line power or the 3D printer.
-Ancient man sent messages to far away tribes by walking there and telling them in person, modern man sends a text in between watching a stupid video and taking a selfie.

I think ancient man kicks modern man's tail, even if their music was a bunch of guttural, off-key moaning.
This should just be another point in favor of ancient man.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

Ancient man.

3ZcqLFlB-1280.jpg

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
My former co-workers at Highly-illegal Strong-armed Bank of Corruption and I talked about the variances in tuition cost. It's on average 500% more expensive to get a degree now than it was in 2000 (warning, number from the Pew Trust study on tuition... not just some random shizzz). And if I'm making 5K just for tuition from mid-May to mid-August (the end of Spring and start of Fall semesters), it's a good thing I don't have to pay rent, buy food, have any utilities or any of that stuff. And here I thought I might have to steal more kidneys and dealing them on the black market to keep attending.

BTW, any PM's about blood type in your inboxes, I also need to know about any blood disorders. Just let me know, it'll make sorting this list out so much easier.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
It's interesting how different the US education system is. Here we get 4 years for a bachelor's without any tuition. The downside is that we don't have no fancy "switching majors" or anything. If you find out what you're studying is not for you - tough luck, gotta apply to a new school. And you better decide before February's over or you're sitting out a year because very few schools will accept your application.

Clock

May 13, 2006
Serious question, not trying to sound insensitive by asking it, not saying it's overrated / any other passive-aggressive variation of "who cares?".

Why is Lehner's death such a massive deal? I read about the incident and his background and obviously his death was awful, but I feel like I'm missing something. Maybe I'm just wrong in assuming that we've had other police officers who have died in duty without it getting as much attention?

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Serious question, not trying to sound insensitive by asking it, not saying it's overrated / any other passive-aggressive variation of "who cares?".

Why is Lehner's death such a massive deal? I read about the incident and his background and obviously his death was awful, but I feel like I'm missing something. Maybe I'm just wrong in assuming that we've had other police officers who have died in duty without it getting as much attention?
Yeah, the attention to it seems disproportionate compared to other officer deaths. My best guest is the whole anthem thing has triggered an, for lack of better words, over-reaction. It's cool to see a civil servant get paid their respects, but a lot of the attention comes off as virtue signalling.

Clock

May 13, 2006
Yeah, the attention to it seems disproportionate compared to other officer deaths. My best guest is the whole anthem thing has triggered an, for lack of better words, over-reaction. It's cool to see a civil servant get paid their respects, but a lot of the attention comes off as virtue signalling.

Yeah, I feel like I missed some part of the story somewhere, or that I'm legitimately ignorant of the apparent fact that no other civil servants have died on the job and have received the same amount of attention. Weird.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Seems like it is a tie in with the anthem thing from what I've seen on social media. Definitely a self-justification to be angry beyond just the normal level of upset.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
So, my little guy survived his football game with his finger intact.

The coaches tried to push him down from the 1s to the 2s to rest him some. But, the kid they promoted didn't play hard, so he was promoted back to the 1s for the second half.

This was their one home game where they were able to play at the HS stadium. So, when he made a tackle, the PA announcer got a chance to butcher our last name.

As an OL/DL, he didn't get too many chances to get his name called and that was a really cool one.

Hopefully, he gets through the weekend OK with his last football game and two hockey games.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

I don't understand it either. I have a few friends on Facebook that knew him personally and worked with him, so I get them being extremely broken up about it, but I don't really understand the entire city reaction to it. Of course it's a tragedy, but the reaction to it is really disproportionate to other officers dying in the line of duty.

Clock

May 13, 2006
I don't understand it either. I have a few friends on Facebook that knew him personally and worked with him, so I get them being extremely broken up about it, but I don't really understand the entire city reaction to it. Of course it's a tragedy, but the reaction to it is really disproportionate to other officers dying in the line of duty.

Alright, then I'm not insane. Good. Downtown is insane right now. If you wanted to rob a bank that doesn't reside downtown, now's your chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig