OT: An OT thread unlike any other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
While they worked initially, currently most embedded tweets seem to not be fully shown in Chrome, I'm too lazy to check another browser but it's very annoying. Maybe related to the fixed size the 'quoted' window/box seems to default to?

Also the site doesn't seem to be very responsive (seems to be loading lots of background stuff), I can't wait for the first wacky trade to see how the board responds to the traffic crush.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
While they worked initially, currently most embedded tweets seem to not be fully shown in Chrome, I'm too lazy to check another browser but it's very annoying. Maybe related to the fixed size the 'quoted' window/box seems to default to?

Also the site doesn't seem to be very responsive (seems to be loading lots of background stuff), I can't wait for the first wacky trade to see how the board responds to the traffic crush.

Seems to be an intermittent issue.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
The one thing I'll say I love about the new forum are the active notifications when you get a post quoted. If I post something, I like to stay somewhat diligent if someone happens to rebut or offer me additional information... and it was a pain remembering topics I may or may not have posted in recently.
Old system would send you a private message on replies if you asked it to. :wally:

Last edited:

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY

Don’t know if it’s related, but embedded tweets won’t load on mobile, either (embedded YouTube videos do load, FWIW).

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I was not happy with the FedEx guy yesterday.

I had my textbooks for a nutrition cert I bought show up yesterday. And rather than place the package inside the front storm door, they just left it next to the house. When thunderstorms were in the forecast.

It was literally less than 10 feet away.

Thank goodness the books were in bubble wrap and shrink wrap, so they were fine.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
As the guy approaching 50 and older than everyone but the instructor in my class, yesterday's field lab was interesting. Waist deep standing water on the site made for a lot of comedy gold.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Jumbo bags of vidalia onions can't be beat; I assume they're distributed that far north.
Try the 3-pack of salmon filets in the foil tray with the butter scoop on top. very good.
Also, $4.99 roasted chicken can't be beat. ~33%-50% larger size than the local groceries carry. I steam the carcass for soup.
Kids love the frozen taquitos. I don't care for anything like that, though. I grew up before chicken nuggets, hot pockets, etc., were considered "nutrition".

Yeah I'm well versed in Costco. It's currently about an hour drive (each way) and a ~9 in tolls round trip, and we still make the trip bi-weekly. The dog food by itself makes it worth the trip. $30 for a 30 lb bag of grain free dog food saves us at least $20 a month. Combine that with a few other savings (usually bottled water and a few frozen food item) easily worth the effort

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
So I'm getting pretty close to figuring out how to adblock on my phone because these video ads all over the site are killing my phones performance. Can't even write a post without my phone pausing/ jerking. If its not the ads then its the site in general and makes me miss the old simplistic mobile version even more.

A fun project that will help with ads at home (on any device)

https://pi-hole.net/

Can spend about $50 on a Raspberry Pi and a few hours configuration....bam, network wide blocking.

If you are a bit more advanced of a home user, you can deploy the pi hole software on a VM rather than on a raspberry pi, but that has a few more steps.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Where's the GTD?!
You guys never liked mine anyway. :sarcasm:

ok, how does one send private messages to members? I'm missing something very obvious aren't I. :facepalm:
They're called conversations now. It's the quote bubble icon next to the right of the notification bell. As an aside to that, if there's desire for it, I'll post later a brief intro/setup guide on my preferences for viewing the forums after the migration. That might help anyone who's struggling with the change or wants to get the most out of the alerts and watches.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
@Tapu Fino Ignored content conflict or just blind? I believe one of the issues with ignored users right now is that it also hides any of their created threads from your view as well.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
I saw the GDT thread, but it's maybe coincidence... the new format didn't merge over a couple of key threads. Ticket thread? Gone. Asset thread? Gone. Stickies are gone and nobody seems to know anything. I smell a conspiracy.

Reactions: Woodhouse

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY

Don’t know if it’s related, but embedded tweets won’t load on mobile, either (embedded YouTube videos do load, FWIW).

I'm getting this issue on Chrome as well. For videos posted from twitter, the bottom half of the video is cut off. There's no way to make it show the full video that I can figure out.

It's caused by your adblocker.
@Eichel15 and since it might bear repeating... open a page link, like probably any of Mittelstadt's, in an incognito or private window and see if tweets embed properly for you there. Chrome's usually a browser extension conflict (e.g., could be any extension that block ads or trackers, which probably includes some VPNs) yet displays fine for me. Try an incognito window where extensions are all disabled to confirm it's an extension conflict and then troubleshoot from there which one to tweak. Meanwhile, Android, iPhone, Firefox, and Opera seem to be displaying a tweet embed normally as well. Only note there is that Firefox's private window required ticking the shield in the address bar to disable tracking protection for the session; otherwise, embeds would stall at "loading tweet...".

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
It's not just adblock plus. I have chrome on my work computer and there's some kind of network-spanning adblocking that goes on (probably through the proxy we have to go through?) that I can't disable. Even using chrome in incognito mode the tweets still get cut off. Ironically, the ads on this site are currently defeating my company's adblocker anyways, so I've got the worst of both worlds. Annoying ads AND tweets I can't read.

Also, more and more ad locations keep being added. Like, I hid the sidebar on the home page, but now when I view a thread it pops back open anyways and yup theres ads there now so so much for hiding the sidebar I guess. But at least for now I found a workaround - you can rescale the browser window to change the site format. There seems to be 3 different formats depending on window width. If you make the screen narrower, you'll hit a point where the sidebar automatically disappears. But go too far and it switches to the mobile format.

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
So I was told on Tuesday that I was going to be offered the position, she just needed to wait for exact numbers for the offer.

The offical offer came today. I ended up turning it down. Which is something I've never done in my life. So that felt a little weird.

I liked the potential for growth but it just wasn't the right fit at this time. Between a good portion of the more money being ate my the further drive (gas/car maintenance costs) and my wife being in school which the schedule at the new place would have made child care/getting my daughter from preschool much more difficult, it just didn't make sense to make the move.

So just just going to chalk it all up to a good experience with interviewing and being nice to be a wanted.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
@Eichel15 and since it might bear repeating... open a page link, like probably any of Mittelstadt's, in an incognito or private window and see if tweets embed properly for you there. Chrome's usually a browser extension conflict (e.g., could be any extension that block ads or trackers, which probably includes some VPNs) yet displays fine for me. Try an incognito window where extensions are all disabled to confirm it's an extension conflict and then troubleshoot from there which one to tweak. Meanwhile, Android, iPhone, Firefox, and Opera seem to be displaying a tweet embed normally as well. Only note there is that Firefox's private window required ticking the shield in the address bar to disable tracking protection for the session; otherwise, embeds would stall at "loading tweet...".

The tweets show up fully in incognito for me. I run Adblock & uBlock Origin, I haven't messed with the settings, though perhaps I'll mess with it later. Seems odd that it would actually show the tweet, but enforce some site-side window size though. If I find a setting that takes care of it I'll post, otherwise I assume you guys aren't really looking for too many bug reports :laugh:

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
The tweets show up fully in incognito for me. I run Adblock & uBlock Origin, I haven't messed with the settings, though perhaps I'll mess with it later. Seems odd that it would actually show the tweet, but enforce some site-side window size though. If I find a setting that takes care of it I'll post, otherwise I assume you guys aren't really looking for too many bug reports :laugh:
I can get them to display fine with both uBlock/Extra extensions, but didn't bother to try ABP, so I know it's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig