OT: An OT thread unlike any other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I don't think you meant it how it sounds but I don't agree that tragedies like this are a price we have to pay in order to live in a free society.
Not a price we want to pay or should have to pay. I get sick every time I hear/read about these horrific events and even sicker that there is no adequate response to them. The citizenry decides what controls should be in place through their lawmakers if at all and can tighten or loosen them as they see fit. You are right--no one wants these shootings to occur, not for any reason.

Reactions: Sabretooth

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'm glad our country finally changed the "what can we do?" attitude towards things like lung cancer due to smoking and drunk driving deaths.

Hopefully a day will come when inaction is no longer acceptable.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Not a price we want to pay or should have to pay. I get sick every time I hear/read about these horrific events and even sicker that there is no adequate response to them. The citizenry decides what controls should be in place through their lawmakers if at all and can tighten or loosen them as they see fit. You are right--no one wants these shootings to occur, not for any reason.

I'm glad our country finally changed the "what can we do?" attitude towards things like lung cancer due to smoking and drunk driving deaths.

Hopefully a day will come when inaction is no longer acceptable.

I certainly get that people want to protect their rights to protect themselves. And I don't think anyone begrudges people for owning a handgun or guns to hunt with. Heck, even a modest collection of firearms is fine to the vast majority of the electorate. But, there is a very small population who have enough firearms to do substantial damage and there is literally, depending on where they live, no legal way to know if they are amassing weapons. There needs to be a universal registration of all firearms and ammo sales that goes into a database for police to be able to subpoena and gun/ammo limits that set flags. It's crazy that it's easier to get a gun and unlimited ammo in this country than it is to get 3 packs of sudafed.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I certainly get that people want to protect their rights to protect themselves. And I don't think anyone begrudges people for owning a handgun or guns to hunt with. Heck, even a modest collection of firearms is fine to the vast majority of the electorate. But, there is a very small population who have enough firearms to do substantial damage and there is literally, depending on where they live, no legal way to know if they are amassing weapons. There needs to be a universal registration of all firearms and ammo sales that goes into a database for police to be able to subpoena and gun/ammo limits that set flags. It's crazy that it's easier to get a gun and unlimited ammo in this country than it is to get 3 packs of sudafed.
It is sad that the people responsible for protecting us are not listened to. Police and other first responders should know when they are called to a dangerous situation whether there is a likelihood of a big shoot out. Law enforcement personnel have not been in favour of the recent decisions to make assault rifles with huge magazines lawful for almost every Tom Dick and Harry and now are seemingly losing the fight not to be shot at by silenced weaponry. Sorry--I should stick to hockey....

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
The Constitution gives us the right to bear arms, a gun, it doesn't mean ANY gun you want in any number you want, you can't have a Howitzer in your front yard. We had the federal assault weapons ban for 10 years. It's mind boggling how it hasn't been re-newed. The 2nd Amendment had nothing to do with owning guns for personal usage, that was a given that people back then needed guns, there weren't police departments and many people lived in rural settings, not to mention guns for hunting and sport. The 2nd Amendment's purpose was to protect the country from outside invaders, the British who were still in Canada, Indians and any foreign country that might invade our shores. The country was very poor at the time, it didn't have the money for a large standing army so the amendment made it legal for people/states to raise militias, men provided their own guns to join those militias, nobody else was going to pay for them. Why 'the right to bear arms' is the second part of the amendment. It's a complete myth that the 2nd Amendment's purpose was to give the people the ability to rebel against government tyranny but that myth is deeply embedded in American culture and the NRA plays on it to great effect.

The federal government could pass a law that made any gun illegal other than a non automatic rifle and handgun illegal to possess, more exotic guns would have to be stored at licensed regulated gun ranges/clubs.

It still wouldn't stop mass shootings but would cut down on the magnitude of carnage caused in Las Vegas, over 500 casualties, that is insane, those are numbers from a war battle. Stopping mass shootings is almost impossible in the US, the gun culture mentality isn't going to disappear with any laws for a long time and mentally unbalanced angry mothereffers aren't going to disappear.

As I've read on Twitter many times in the past 36 hours if the deaths of 30 plus little children in Sandy Hook didn't change anything nothing will. Mass shootings will continue.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
My younger son has his second football game today.

Hopefully it goes a little better than the 45-0 thrashing they endured last week.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Q. Is there anyway to see timestamp of posts in local time and not UTC / GMT or whatever the system uses, WITHOUT having to log in?

I suppose that's impossible, because the system would not know where you are reading from without a login. But you folks are the computer experts, not me.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
So, the boy had two more goals this weekend. They played him on defense because he could skate with the other team's forwards, and because he's a puck hound. Still lost though. We went for ice cream, either way. :banana:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I got to work on the chain crew at his football game.

And his teammates are dropping like flies. Last week, a hockey teammate broke his arm at practice. Today, a football teammate left the game in an ambulance with what appeared to be a bad ankle injury.

Clock

May 13, 2006
Meta-political talk: All I talk about on forums now is politics. I can't imagine I have a single person on my Facebook friend list who hasn't put my ass on "SHUTTUP" mode.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I use HF as my escape from almost all other social media and peer interaction. Hockey viewing and conversation is about the only way I stay mostly sane on a given day.

And with that, back to policy coursework and trying to figure out how I am going to complete a couple of late assignments that I didn't know were late until 30 minutes ago. Good times. :laugh:

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I don't know if anyone has mentioned the following yet, but...

First of all, I don't see all of some tweets/quotes. And I don't see an option to expand.

Secondly, can we get our old smileys back? The replacements look more appropriate for a Hello Kitty/One Direction board.

Otherwise, thanks for the hard work. I guess I'll get used to this.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't know if anyone has mentioned the following yet, but...

First of all, I don't see all of some tweets/quotes. And I don't see an option to expand.

Secondly, can we get our old smileys back? The replacements look more appropriate for a Hello Kitty/One Direction board.

Otherwise, thanks for the hard work. I guess I'll get used to this.

I'm having the same problem and it started today regarding twitter embedded media.

And yeah, the emojis are hurting. No more :biglaugh: which was my personal fav. NM... I see it's back.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Meta-political talk: All I talk about on forums now is politics. I can't imagine I have a single person on my Facebook friend list who hasn't put my ass on "SHUTTUP" mode.

I'm in the Army, so I can't really say much. It's actually refreshing not to get into the discussions online.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
I use HF as my escape from almost all other social media and peer interaction. Hockey viewing and conversation is about the only way I stay mostly sane on a given day.
It's getting harder to avoid here though too, with the "IS IT DISRESPECTFUL FOR NFL PLAYERS TO PROTEST DURING THE NATIONAL ANTHEM?" banner ads. I've also seen some shitty dating/match ads. All that just to transition from lurker to online status. :laugh:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The one hard and fast thing I have learned about this semester is that if I go back to my apartment for anything, anything at all, I will miss my bus. :biglaugh:

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Wife matched fellowship in Allentown/Bethlehem area. It’s not San Diego but at least there’s a Costco.
Jumbo bags of vidalia onions can't be beat; I assume they're distributed that far north.
Try the 3-pack of salmon filets in the foil tray with the butter scoop on top. very good.
Also, $4.99 roasted chicken can't be beat. ~33%-50% larger size than the local groceries carry. I steam the carcass for soup.
Kids love the frozen taquitos. I don't care for anything like that, though. I grew up before chicken nuggets, hot pockets, etc., were considered "nutrition".

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
The one thing I'll say I love about the new forum are the active notifications when you get a post quoted. If I post something, I like to stay somewhat diligent if someone happens to rebut or offer me additional information... and it was a pain remembering topics I may or may not have posted in recently.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
So I'm getting pretty close to figuring out how to adblock on my phone because these video ads all over the site are killing my phones performance. Can't even write a post without my phone pausing/ jerking. If its not the ads then its the site in general and makes me miss the old simplistic mobile version even more.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I wonder if Buffaloed or whoever makes modifications to the site, reads some of the good and bad about this update. And if the majority of complaints from the hundreds of users boil down to 5 or 6 things, they get fixed.

Or are we just venting to no one :laugh:

My main complaint is there's no way to view it in "desktop" mode on a smartphone. The mobile version cuts off/eliminates a few things. Kinda blows.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
So I'm getting pretty close to figuring out how to adblock on my phone because these video ads all over the site are killing my phones performance. Can't even write a post without my phone pausing/ jerking. If its not the ads then its the site in general and makes me miss the old simplistic mobile version even more.
Ad block themselves has made a browser. Been using it for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad