OT: An Englishman in New York

Group Chat Legend*

And by bikers I mean bicycles.

Yes you can have a large camera on you during the day. Just dont be flaunting it around unless you are using it

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
NYC is huge - I think it could help to go in with a plan. What are you interested in: food, music, art, neighborhoods?

To answer some of your specific questions:

1. Download Uber. It'll be the simplest way to get around. I still recommend the subway as a unique NYC experience (and the fastest way to get around - depending on where / when you're traveling).

2. Even within food, there's a lot to choose from. There are old NYC landmarks (Katz's deli, Barney Greengrass, Serendipity, Nathan's, Lombardi's), some "hidden" gems (the Burger Joint at the Parker Merdien), amazing high end places (Eleven Madison, Brushstroke, etc.), new hotspots (Le Coucou, Babuji, )

3. There are a lot more gluten free places in NYC these days - or places that have GF options. I'd make a list of places you're interested in and then check if they have GF options. Most places have menus online.

4. Drinks - not sure if you're a cocktail, beer, or other, but there are a bunch of beer gardens (the Standard, Astoria, etc.), rooftop bars, and high end cocktail places (the Dead Rabbit, PDT, etc.)

5. Others have suggested broadway, jazz - also great. Lincoln Center is putting on West Side Story the week you're in town - that could be fun. To me, Lincoln Center is iconic, so seeing something there makes the evening more fun.

All the suggestions so far are great. As an Upper West Sider, I could go on an on, but really, with only a few days, I think it's really about figuring out what you want to do most and then organizing around that.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
We have bought two NYC passes. Seems like a really good deal, with all your entries to the major attractions included.

Is there anything I should avoid? How are cabs for legitimacy? Does yellow cab immediately mean legit?

The reason I ask is that there are lots of dodgy taxis in London. Should imagine there will be some in NY too.

Will I be able to walk around with a decent camera in my bag/hands during the day quite safely?

Yellow cabs are legit for sure, but pricey, especially during rush hour, and slow at those times too. Around 9am or 5pm you're better off taking the subway or walking. Also, Uber and Lyft are much cheaper than yellow cabs. Black livery cabs from street hails will cost you double a yellow cab - avoid 'em.

There's plenty of gluten-free options for your wife, especially in the trendier areas. My lady is celiac too - she won't be left wanting. Hell, a lot of the fancier pizza places do gluten-free pizza.

Your camera and bag will be fine!

Just watch where you walk at night. NYC is pretty safe but some parts can become sketchy once it is dark.

Unless he gets terribly, terribly lost, he won't be anywhere near them.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Can any of you lovely people lend this humble Englishman any tips for visiting the most famous city in the world?

Museum of Natural History - lots of cool stuff

MET (Metropolitan Museum of Art) - not just for art, but history as the Roman empire, Medieval, and Egyptian artifacts are amazing.

Keens Steakhouse - one of the best steak joints in NYC, with amazing historical stuff all over the walls to boot. Bonus? It's not stuffy, but relatively casual.

http://www.keens.com/

Central Park - wander around. The 59th street entrace area is the most packed as that's where all the tourists go, I'd recommend entering by the Museum of Natural History and checking out Belvedere Castle & Turtle Pond, Swedish Cottage, Shakespeare's Garden (my gf's favorite part of Central Park), the J.K.O. reservoir, etc... This west side chunk of the park is the best part IMHO, though I'm biased because I used to live right there.

Pizza - For heaven's sake, go BRICK OVEN style, old school NYC traditional. The most famous of which is Lombardi's on Spring Street. It's great. My personal favorite is Patsy's Pizza.

http://www.firstpizza.com/

http://www.patsyspizzeria.us/

Is there anything I should avoid?

All the chain restaurants located precisely in the area of your hotel. There are more fantastic restaurants in Manhattan than you could eat at if you hit one every night for over a year, yet tourists seem to flock to Olive Garden rather than Little Italy, and other unfathomable things like that.

How are cabs for legitimacy?

Fine. Cabs are heavily regulated in NYC. If you want an airport "black car service" from LGA rather than taxi, Big Apple Cars is who my company always used and they were fine. You can also do a taxi from LGA to midtown Manhattan.

Will I be able to walk around with a decent camera in my bag/hands during the day quite safely?

Yes, please don't believe the foreign media that seems to suggest you'll be shot and killed within 4 minutes in America. When I'm in Europe and I turn on the TV, the news makes me think my home is a more developed suburb of Afghanistan.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
we just did the 9-11 memorial and museum this past weekend for the first time

really depressing but also really interesting. you go down and see the foundations of both original buildings, the slurry wall, etc.

I went a couple weeks back. I wouldn't say depressing, definitely emotional, I had to fight back tears a couple times.

Might not hold the same importance for a Brit, but I do recommend for anyone in the metro area.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
NYC is huge - I think it could help to go in with a plan.

Do go in with a plan, but also allow your self some time to just go walk around. There is not much of Manhattan that is not interesting. You'll stumble along a cool place to eat, or have a drink, or just people watch, in no time.

Don't know if it's been mentioned but the High line is pretty cool, nice way to walk around, but it can get pretty packed.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Congrats on the wedding!

But too bad you won't be coming a few weeks later, as you'd get to catch a game at the worlds most famous arena. You really should get there once in your life, especially after the renovations!:sarcasm:

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Do you want to be a tourist, see NYC, or some combo of the 2?

Because if the latter 2 suit you better, you'd be wise to ignore most of the recommendations in this thread. Otherwise you may as well just pick up any random tour guide.

Last edited:

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Congrats on the wedding!

But too bad you won't be coming a few weeks later, as you'd get to catch a game at the worlds most famous arena. You really should get there once in your life, especially after the renovations!:sarcasm:

He doesn't care about spending $300 a ticket either. So that should get him a seat somewhere in the third to last row in the 400s section

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Congrats on the wedding!

They only changed the name at the practice rink at The Rock, they really didn't have any renovations!

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Congrats on the wedding!

i tried to convince the missus to go a few weeks after the wedding, she wouldn't. haha.

I'll be back and in hockey season next time. Hopefully within the next couple seasons.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Have a beer or 10 at McSorley's, it will change your life.

Can't beat home brewed beer, 2 for $5 at one of the oldest bars in the world that essentially hasn't changed a bit since it opened in the 1850s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McSorley%27s_Old_Ale_House

^ This... 100% Even for a Brit with easy access to real beer.

I've only been there twice but that place is awesome. Dark please.

I will definitely check this place out.

Obviously good beer isn't an issue here in the UK, but I am very interested in trying some obscure 'Murican ales. :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad