OT: An Englishman in New York

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
oh you need to rent a car and go through a jug handle (go right to turn left) - a NJ specialty. :laugh:

They created a "Circle" down near where I live a few years ago and actually sent out DVDs to all the local residents on "how to navigate a circle". It's caused so many accidents that there are now plans in place to reconstruct the whole intersection into something else. It's s giant death trap that I avoid at all costs.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
They created a "Circle" down near where I live a few years ago and actually sent out DVDs to all the local residents on "how to navigate a circle". It's caused so many accidents that there are now plans in place to reconstruct the whole intersection into something else. It's s giant death trap that I avoid at all costs.

we have traffic circles a plenty here - with 2 lanes going in AND BOTH LANES CAN EXIT.

I've seen two lane circles before but the middle lane was always 'keep circling and make your way right' not exit from center. People hate them.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
we have traffic circles a plenty here - with 2 lanes going in AND BOTH LANES CAN EXIT.

I've seen two lane circles before but the middle lane was always 'keep circling and make your way right' not exit from center. People hate them.

We have circles, but we don't have circles that they have like THIS:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Roundabout_(Swindon)

I mean... just even trying to follow the diagram makes my head hurt.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think the jug handle's are more of a South Jersey (Central too) thing than up north. We had traffic circles in Bergen County, like the Little Ferry and Ridgefield circle's, which the circles were reconstructed and removed, so you could just go straight through them or turn right/left.

Jug handle's were always a huge ''You know you're from South Jersey'' joke. Along with people calling ice cream sprinkles jimmies.:laugh:

I know there's quite a few of those jug handle's in Brick and Lakewood, Toms River and pretty much points south. They may even have them in some of the Monmouth boro's and town's, like Eatontown, Neptune, Howell and Wall.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I dunno. My sister lives up there and that's what they call them. I don't think I ever heard of jimmies in south jersey, but I don't spend much time down there either.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Circles are all over NJ, so if you're born here, you can deal with them well.

Only time circles bother me are the few trips where I've driven in Ireland. Driving on the "wrong" side of the road is something I get over within 30 minutes each trip, but combining that with circles to me is like patting your head while rubbing your stomach.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I love Katz's

Katz's is very cool. So old fashioned, how many places have sawdust on the bathroom floor? Only thing is, it's kind of in the middle of LES tourist-nowhere. Russ & Daughters is right next to Katz's too, might as well take 2 minutes and walk-in/walk-out of there too if anyone happens to be in that area, that place is another one of the > 100 year Jewish old institutions.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

That's exactly what they made down here. I was like... Come on! They weren't that bad in Jersey when I left :laugh:

We have circles, but we don't have circles that they have like THIS:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Roundabout_(Swindon)

I mean... just even trying to follow the diagram makes my head hurt.

That diagram seriously looks like they are just trying to aggressively lower the local population. The only thing missing is the minimum requirement of 30 mph for all drivers and I think we would have s real case here :laugh:

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
I love that they're called circles over there. We call them roundabouts.

Trash cans are called wheelie bins and guns are called pointy shooties.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

I'm going to call a trash can a wheelie bin at least 1 time a day for the next week now :laugh:

I'm assuming that all of those terms are some harsh slang? I just can't help but picture the gang in the bar from Kingsman.

Feb 2, 2009
Manalapan, NJ
I think the jug handle's are more of a South Jersey (Central too) thing than up north. We had traffic circles in Bergen County, like the Little Ferry and Ridgefield circle's, which the circles were reconstructed and removed, so you could just go straight through them or turn right/left.

Jug handle's were always a huge ''You know you're from South Jersey'' joke. Along with people calling ice cream sprinkles jimmies.:laugh:

I know there's quite a few of those jug handle's in Brick and Lakewood, Toms River and pretty much points south. They may even have them in some of the Monmouth boro's and town's, like Eatontown, Neptune, Howell and Wall.

There are jug handles up in Manalapan and Old Bridge as well, but not much further north than that. Having lived down here my entire life, it's one of those completely nonsensical things that seems out of the ordinary to not have elsewhere. Just used to it, I guess.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
oh you need to rent a car and go through a jug handle (go right to turn left) - a NJ specialty. :laugh:

My favorite was when I had a friend from PA in the car confused as to why I laid on the horn at someone slowly making a right into a driveway from the right lane when they missed the jughandle.

I can deal with being cut off, I can deal with being tailgated, I can't deal with blatantly ignoring the "NO TURNS" signs and ******* up the flow of traffic as a result.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
There are jug handles up in Manalapan and Old Bridge as well, but not much further north than that. Having lived down here my entire life, it's one of those completely nonsensical things that seems out of the ordinary to not have elsewhere. Just used to it, I guess.

There are jug handles all over Hunterdon County and Somerset County, which is quite a bit farther north. I do agree though, people from everywhere in America other than New Jersey ***** about our jug handles, but IMO they make 100% sense in certain spots and almost certainly decrease accidents. My 2¢ (which may be wrong).

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN

Actually in Ohio they were very large ones common at the center of downtowns with a fountain or statue, or some focal point in the middle and they were called "the traffic circle" but the smaller ones that are around to replace stop lights or 4 way stops are commonly referred to as roundabouts.

sBa1oGa.png

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Route 17 between 46 and 3...

I guess there are a few there. It's been a while since I've been through there. Liberty ave (which turned into Moonachie road and later becomes Washington ave until you hit the Meadowlands) was always my go-to detour road to avoid 17 south.

And traffic circles are called roundabouts in most places. I think they're even technically referred to as roundabouts in New Jersey, it's just that most people that I knew always called them traffic circles up there.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
And traffic circles are called roundabouts in most places. I think they're even technically referred to as roundabouts in New Jersey, it's just that most people that I knew always called them traffic circles up there.

Huh?

I never heard the term "roundabout" in my entire life, until I went to Europe for the first time when I was an adult, and I have traveled to at least 1/2 of the 50 states.

I'm fact checking the above statement as: FALSE.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Huh?

I never heard the term "roundabout" in my entire life, until I went to Europe for the first time when I was an adult, and I have traveled to at least 1/2 of the 50 states.

I'm fact checking the above statement as: FALSE.

I've heard this term in Florida and in other states mostly in the south. Not New Jersey though.

I might very well be wrong that the technical term for them anywhere in the states is roundabout, it could just be local slang.

But I've been to quite a few states (in the south) where the locals refer to it as either a ''Circle'' or a ''Roundabout''.

In fact, I even remember one of the internet driving direction sites calling them a roundabout when breaking down directions. I've seen for instance ''Take right and go through roundabout'' I'm sure not sure if this was google maps or mapquest, I think mapquest. But I do distinctly remember reading roundabout on a driving directions website when seeing direction involving a route that has you pass through a traffic circle.

And upon looking up some directions through both google maps and mapquest of the same route, for which passes through a traffic circle, google maps refers to it as ''At the traffic circle, take first exit onto NJ-35 N''

While the same route on mapquest has it described as ''Enter next roundabout and take the first exit onto hwy 35/NJ-35.

While I've rarely heard it referred to as a roundabout in New Jersey, I've heard some refer to it as that in other states. Although they aren't as common in other states I've been to, as they are in New Jersey. And even a couple that were near where I'm from, that were there forever, were just turned into regular intersections in the last decade or so. I haven't been to the one on the border of Cresskill and Dumont in a while. I believe that's Knickerbocker Rd and Madison Ave, I wonder if that one's still there?

Last edited:

njdevscup30

Boom Boom
Apr 25, 2006
Blacksburg
Piece of advice: Do not hesitate to ask people for help, such as directions or if you are having trouble with money machines/subway. Americans are really friendly, even in New York City. If they can tell you are a tourist, don't be surprised if people come up to you and offer help without being asked.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Piece of advice: Do not hesitate to ask people for help, such as directions or if you are having trouble with money machines/subway. Americans are really friendly, even in New York City. If they can tell you are a tourist, don't be surprised if people come up to you and offer help without being asked.

Except at rush hour. Watch for flying elbows

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad