An Emerging Concern...

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Nah. It just makes 2 in 2 > 2 in 3. Our entire sovereignty is self-contained between their first and second Cup wins in their supposed sovereignty.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
A repeat is tougher and more impressive than winning one additional cup 3 years ahead of the 2 in 3.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
It's rather seperate back to back lose/win then back to back wins. But they already have that 4th apperence the Hawks game 7 WC 14 really still makes that 13-15 stretch more touch depending on what the Pens do.

They got womped in the 1st round in 15. They did a lot inbetween so oddly though that people still okay connecting that yet a lot of times gave greif connecting the Hawks from 10--13 with the first round bounces

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
If you were talking about a big time scale, you'd have a point. But I'd say that we're talking about a pretty confined time period, especially if mentioning the 2009 Cup for the Pens in the same breath as their two most recent ones when comparing this era.

If the hockey gods came down and offered you either back to back Cup wins or three Cups in six years, would you really take the former over the latter? Sure, the argument could be made that you could win more in the near future after the repeat, but I'd go with the guarantee third. And I still opened the door for them to surpass us as well if they win a Cup in the next three postseasons, too.

kuzy

Mar 31, 2012
St. Charles, IL
Just think...if Q had banished Handzus and Bollig to the pressbox in 2014 we'd be debating if our three-peat is better than their possible three-peat :sarcasm:

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Have no love for the Pens but after last season they are tied AT WORST with the Hawks for mini dynasty/team of the decade. Wouldn't surprise me if they win this year and become a legit dynasty. They are also set up beautifully to be competetive for at least 5 more years. The Hawks, not so much...

That said the Hawks run was super impressive and let's all hope the Pens never win another one and the history books rate us as tied with them a 100 years from now.

chrispw1

Dec 5, 2015
It seems the Pens strategy the last few years has been don't really turn it on until about after the holidays as it seems around Christmas then and the Hawks had about the same record, and the 2016 Pens were similar in not really getting going until about January and for a while it looked like they would go down as one time only champions

As for which is greater, looking back I would almost trade 2015 for 2014 as 3 out of 5 with a back to back would have had more cache and being able to explain away the two missing years as retooling due to a hard cap, from 2010 to 2015 the Pens went out in the first or second round five of six years and won zero games beyond round two so perhaps that should be considered separate, in fact I looked it up from 2009 to last season the Hawks and Pens have basically the same number of playoff series and game wins and that is with the Pens having caught up with the huge edge the last two years although they got a two year head start.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Just think...if Q had banished Handzus and Bollig to the pressbox in 2014 we'd be debating if our three-peat is better than their possible three-peat :sarcasm:

yes you are correct but IMO the bigger issue that Q continued to force in 2014 was playing 7 and 27 together over and over and over and over....

that to me was the single biggest factor in the hawks not having the 3peat

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
Vegas fizzles out in the latter half of the remaining games, and Pittsburgh stays hot. Outside of Nashville and Vegas, nobody in the West should pose a threat, Pens with a 3-peat.

Would love to see Kessel win another Cup, just to add more fire on the Leafs bonfire. Hawks had their time but come up short in comparison to the Pens, unless Chicago can pull a Wild Card spot and make a deep run.

But that ain't happening.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Can't write off Boston or Tampa yet ... my hope is Pittsburgh is out in round 2 or 3 at most!
And in the West you have to give Winnipeg a little love as they do have a great young team.

Reactions: TQE

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Can't write off Boston or Tampa yet ... my hope is Pittsburgh is out in round 2 or 3 at most!
And in the West you have to give Winnipeg a little love as they do have a great young team.

No way. I can’t stand Winnipeg.

There really isn’t anyone in the West I’d want to root for even a little bit. Maybe the Sharks if you put a gun to my head.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad