An Emerging Concern...

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
As I watch all the teams develop and progress through the season, one team is beginning to emerge as a team that i think can come playoffs time be an absolute beast. they have the roster. they have the winning pedigree. they have the top-end elite leaders who know how to win. they have the coaching.

And no one is talking about them...

They have won the last two Cups. the Pittsburgh Penguins are in some respects "under the radar" even though they are 2-time defending champs. Amazing as that sounds --- that they are "sneaking up" on people. I think that, in fact, they are sneaking up on the league. they are getting better week-by-week and have all it takes to win the Cup again. You hear of the Bolts, the Preds, the VGK, the Bruins (now the #1 power according to NHL network), the Caps, even the Jets --- but little is said of the Pens....

But the Pens are a real threat.

For me it is a concern, because I would not want to see them win the Cup again. As a Hawk fan, I do not want the Pens to be the team of the decade --- i want it to be the Hawks. But...

I fear that the Pens will quietly roll into the playoffs and begin to dismantle people. they are legit.

Anyone else see them as a repeat (again) threat?

Always bet the field --- but that said, I really do not see any single team more likely to win than the Pens.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
With healthy Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Letang and Murray they can definitely do it. They have lately been good which was expected.

Im rooting against them obviously.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Personally, the Hawks being the team of the decade doesn't matter to me at all. The Pens winning the last 2 cups, or this won, doesn't change anything the Hawks accomplished. I probably won't be rooting for the Pens, but I won't be actively rooting against them.

Last edited:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I mean, that is a thing in the back of my mind, but I just don't like the Pens and don't want them to win, period. Same was the case in 2016 as well when they were an underperforming team.

Looking at the potential playoff teams, I'd root for the entire East over the Penguins in any matchup. In a potential Stanley Cup Final, I'd root against the Penguins versus anybody except the Blues or Wild.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
I mean, that is a thing in the back of my mind, but I just don't like the Pens and don't want them to win, period. Same was the case in 2016 as well when they were an underperforming team.

Looking at the potential playoff teams, I'd root for the entire East over the Penguins in any matchup. In a potential Stanley Cup Final, I'd root against the Penguins versus anybody except the Blues or Wild.

Man the Pens vs. the Blues would be a nightmare for me! Who do I want to lose most? Not sure...

the Blues may be the opponent I would rather the Pens beat...

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I'm at this stage not caring cause its kinda a wiggly debate anyway. Team of decade hype dies out maybe now unless they do something decent next year.

We'll to me at least, it's the half decade 10-15 dominant run with that 13-14-15 real 3 strong year memory

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
I can't stand the Penguins so I would root for any and all teams that are up against them ... including the Blues!
So please Tampa and Boston and sure even Washington ... finish off their ugly a$$es and don't let them make it to the ECF!!!
I share Robsker's concern and awareness of how the freaking Pens are creeping up again and getting hot at the right time.
I just freaking hate the Penguins ...

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
after watching my heart crumble in the 92' Finals, I root against Pittsburgh every damn time unless they are playing against a Canadian team lol!!

It would have been cool to play against them though in the Finals over the last 8 years to see who would be King.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
The lightning are on a mission this year in my opinion. They are stacked everywhere including net.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Kessel alone makes the Pens tolerable
I was going to add that Kessel would be the only Penguin I would want on the Hawks.
Oh did I say I freaking hate the Penguins!
And really American Dream?! you'd cheer on the Penguins against any Canadian team!?
Salty nationalism! Come on it's far past time for a Canadian team to finally win a Cup ... it would be good for the leauge ... Go Peg!!

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
History repeats itself and the Islanders ruin the three peat again.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Banking on strength up the middle and thin D depth again to hold them through. We'll see. If that works that will be basically 4 straight cup wins build on that method. Of course adding in the 15 4 D and Vermy depth addition.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
The Penguins are already a more accomplished team than the Blackhawks in this era.

More wins, playoff wins, playoff series wins, equal conference finals appearances, more conference finals wins, equal stanley cup wins and more stanley cup finals appearances, and most importantly a repeat.

Obviously a 3peat would add to their superiority, but that's just extending a lead at this point. The Blackhawks are not the team of this decade, nor the cap era now, let alone moving forward.

Which is fine. Everybody pretty much understood that when they drafted Malkin and Crosby, they were the super-power. It just took them longer to reload.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
I didn't much care about '92 once it came to rooting against Detroit, which I did those two years in a row and was happy when the Pens eeked it out against them in '09. I have no problem with them winning again and rooted for them against Nashville too, though I wanted the underdog Sharks in '16.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
3 Cups in 6 years > 3 Cups in 9 years

All other stuff is ancillary.

Now, that being said, the Pens have repeated, so literally all they need to do is win once in the next three postseasons and they're an actual dynasty and have surpassed us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad