Blue Jays Discussion: Alright, no more discontent. Just baseball | ST in Mtl: StL @ Tor | Mar 26/27 7pm ET/4pm PT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Should be next week. I still assume Vlad\Bo will start in Dunedin, and when they hit there, be moved to NH come late May.

This really wouldn't surprise me that much, but I think it would be a waste of time given that they both completely dominated pitching at that level, in terms of both results and underlying numbers, in ~200 plate appearances last year. I don't have a problem with being patient with top prospects, but this one strikes me as a little pointless.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
This really wouldn't surprise me that much, but I think it would be a waste of time given that they both completely dominated pitching at that level, in terms of both results and underlying numbers, in ~200 plate appearances last year. I don't have a problem with being patient with top prospects, but this one strikes me as a little pointless.
Buffalo and New Hampshire have a lot of rain outs in April when the weather is shit. I don't think it's a bad thing to keep them in Dunedin for a month until the weather warms up a bit.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

I could see them skipping that month and a bit in Dunedin. The same management team skipped A+ altogether for Jose Ramirez, while making Francisco Lindor spend 370+ PA's there. I'd be all for NH from the get go.

Buffalo and New Hampshire have a lot of rain outs in April when the weather is ****. I don't think it's a bad thing to keep them in Dunedin for a month until the weather warms up a bit.

This was my thinking as well, until I remembered they were in Lansing last April, and were fine.

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'd be surprised if they held Vlad down in Dunedin. He's already had near as many pa in A+ as he did in his previous 2 stops - I don't see why they'd hold him longer at this stop than they did his other 2, given he crushed this level even more than the previous 2.

Vlad

Rk: 276pa, 12.0b%/12.7k%, 16.2swst%, 122wrc+
A: 318pa, 12.6b%/10.7k%, 9.2swst%, 151wrc+
A+: 209pa, 17.2b%/13.4k%, 7.3swst%, 179wrc+

They haven't been especially conservative with his promotions so far and I don't see any reason why they'd slow him down now.

I'd say the same about Bo but with the caveat that he did see a significant drop in performance in A+ and I could see some argument that they might want to see more from him there....but then again, he still crushed A+, and it just looks bad compared to the ridiculousness of his first 2 stops:

Bo

Rk 91pa, 6.6b%/18.7k%, 24.5swst%, 238wrc+
A 317pa, 8.8b%/17.4k%, 10.0swst%, 201wrc+
A+ 182pa, 7.7b%/14.3k%, 10.3swst%, 145wrc+

but really, looking at those numbers again and I'd still be surprised if they slowed him down and kept him in A+.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
The step from AA to MLB is alot shorter than A+ to AAA.
All depends on how they want to configure his developmental environment.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
If the Jays manage to stay relatively healthy, this team should compete for a wild card. Our rotation on paper is decent. Although i know nothing about Garcia

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
If the Jays manage to stay relatively healthy, this team should compete for a wild card. Our rotation on paper is decent. Although i know nothing about Garcia

I'll be watching and cheering as usual, but I find it hard to feel optimistic about play-off chances this year. Just seems too many things would have to go right and this mgmt team clearly wants to hit the reset button anyway.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I'll be watching and cheering as usual, but I find it hard to feel optimistic about play-off chances this year. Just seems too many things would have to go right and this mgmt team clearly wants to hit the reset button anyway.

I think all the teams that are in contention not named Astros, Indians, Red Sox and Yankees are in the exact same boat. So one team will either be good or lucky or both to get that final wildcard spot - so why cant it be us when the competition is relatively low.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
“Reset button” is such a blanket term though. The Jays already have their prospective core, they just need to wait a year or two to have them all up.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
In order to be in the WC conversation we'd need Stroman and Sanchez at the top of their games, to get 1 more good year out of Estrada and Happ, and for Garcia to play moderately well. Then of course you would need a healthy Donaldson, Smoak to maintain his numbers, and players like Morales, Pearce, Grichuk, and Granderson to put good numbers.

Like Brown Dog said a lot of things have to go right.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

Such as?

In order to be in the WC conversation we'd need Stroman and Sanchez at the top of their games, to get 1 more good year out of Estrada and Happ, and for Garcia to play moderately well. Then of course you would need a healthy Donaldson, Smoak to maintain his numbers, and players like Morales, Pearce, Grichuk, and Granderson to put good numbers.

It seems like you're just asking guys to...be what they are?

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I think all the teams that are in contention not named Astros, Indians, Red Sox and Yankees are in the exact same boat. So one team will either be good or lucky or both to get that final wildcard spot - so why cant it be us when the competition is relatively low.

Just seems like bad juju going on right now with Donaldson entering walk year, so many stop-gap guys, already some injury issues happening, Shatkins saying they'd rather not be trying to compete with this group...

So yeah, I'm going with bad juju.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

If all those things happen, the Jays are contending for the AL East, not the second Wild Card.

Reactions: phillipmike

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Such as?

That's not true. We don't really know what to expect from Smoak. "Good numbers" from guys like Grichuk, Pearce, Morales, and Granderson can hardly be taken for granted. Health concerns for Sanchez and Stroman are real...

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
If all those things happen, the Jays are contending for the AL East, not the second Wild Card.
I mean depending on what we define as "good" years and even if all things go right for the Jays, the Yankees would have to have health problems before we talk about them getting overtaken.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
Such as?

Donaldson is no guarantee to stay healthy, Sanchez had paper fingers last year, Estrada had a down year we would need him to return to form, Grichuk would need to improve.

That's 4 players who need to be different than what they are right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad