Blue Jays Discussion: Alright, no more discontent. Just baseball | ST in Mtl: StL @ Tor | Mar 26/27 7pm ET/4pm PT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Pillar's had an awesome spring, what with 13 hits in 25 at bats. His OPS is also skyhigh, 1.35 (compared to Hernandez' 1.1 and Alfords .958)! But I'd expect he'll be fighting for his job next spring if he's still here, as Hernandez and Alford look to take over LF and CF in 2019.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
An outfield of Hernandez, Alford and Grichuk. Speed, defence and power. Infield of Bichette, Travis, Jansen and Guerrero. Trade Donaldson if he doesn’t extend and we are out for a solid 3B prospect or stud pitching prospect. Pitching of Stroman, Sanchez, Pannone, Borucki. Osuna and Santos in the pen. Wow future looks bright.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I’ve pulled my calf muscle before bad and now my calf muscle has never been the same. It gets aggravated easily. Seems that’s the case with Donaldson.

This might be a good reason not to jump for an extension right away. He is turning 33 and this is an injury that can easily linger and has lingered. Play it out and see where you are in July.

Reactions: Gargyn

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
This might be a good reason not to jump for an extension right away. He is turning 33 and this is an injury that can easily linger and has lingered. Play it out and see where you are in July.
Oh I agree. I don’t have the luxury of having a medical staff to look after me but I can’t do what I used to do without at least noticing my calf causing problems. Until you have a calf or foot injury you don’t realize how much they suck.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Okay, excellent. Just when you thought they got rid of Goins, they end up with an African version of him.

remember, the metrics said that goins wasn't actually much of a fielder anymore (and never that great in his heydey, either).

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
An outfield of Hernandez, Alford and Grichuk. Speed, defence and power. Infield of Bichette, Travis, Jansen and Guerrero. Trade Donaldson if he doesn’t extend and we are out for a solid 3B prospect or stud pitching prospect. Pitching of Stroman, Sanchez, Pannone, Borucki. Osuna and Santos in the pen. Wow future looks bright.

Kind of feels like we're headed for a mid to late 1980s kind of Blue Jays team, doesn't it?

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I’ve pulled my calf muscle before bad and now my calf muscle has never been the same. It gets aggravated easily. Seems that’s the case with Donaldson.

That's funny, I've suffered grade 3 tears of both the hamstring and calf muscles before, and came back faster and more explosive. Weird.

Okay, excellent. Just when you thought they got rid of Goins, they end up with an African version of him.

Savage.

How has Pillar played this ST? Are we close to seeing him replaced by one of the prospects?

Looks like Hernandez is stepping up.

He's been hitting the ball, which is nice, but has taken 2 walks in 27 plate appearances. That's his issue, and the reason why most of his success (i.e. April\May of last year) is unsustainable. I'm more interested in how his defense looks this year.

As for Hernandez, he's not replacing Pillar in CF (Alford is). He's the guy who comes up to play full time in LF when Granderson\Pearce get hurt or move to platoon in the DH slot (in the case when Morales is Robidas'd).

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Looks like Gift, Axford and Clippard have an edge on starting with the opening day roster.

Blue Jays skipper John Gibbons signaled on Monday that Troy Tulowitzki won’t be ready for Opening Day, writes MLB.com’s Jon Morosi. “I think you can write Tulo off [for Opening Day] right now,” said Gibbons of his shortstop, who is currently dealing with a bone spur in his right heel. Tulo’s lack of availability likely means the Jays will carry just seven relievers to open the season Morosi notes, which will allow the team to bring four middle infielders — Devon Travis, Aledmys Diaz, Yangervis Solarte and Gift Ngoepe — when they break camp.

Meanwhile, both John Axford and Tyler Clippard are likely to make the Blue Jays’ bullpen after signing minor league deals, per Morosi. Gibbons praised a new two-seam fastball that Axford has been utilizing as well as improved control from the veteran righty. “What’s jumped out at me is he’s keeping that thing in the zone,” said Gibbons. “What little I’ve known in the past, at times he could scatter, but really that hasn’t happened at all this spring. That’s encouraging. And he still throws really, really hard.”

Tulo on the 60 day DL opens up 1 spot and i bet Smith or Guerrieri are the others potentially on the 40 man roster bubble. Or they can DFA both and just put Tulo on the 30 DL.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
remember, the metrics said that goins wasn't actually much of a fielder anymore (and never that great in his heydey, either).

That's what I was thinking, too. If Ngoepe lives up to his defensive reputation, then he won't be what Goins was... he'll be what a lot of people thought Goins was.

Having him on the opening day roster wouldn't be a terrible decision by any means, but having him start regularly at SS, with both Diaz and Solarte on the roster and Tulo the only injured infielder, would be really, really stupid.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
In a world where the ball is in play less than it has ever been, and corner infield prospects are being moved to SS (Senzel), the Gift Ngoepe's of the world shouldn't sniff the major leagues, let alone start for any team interested in anything other than Tanking.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I believe the Jays are being careful when it comes to Stroman, Tulo and Donaldson to not rush them back too soon. Spring means nothing, and although the best case scenario would be to get off to a quick start in the regular season. They have enough depth to cover for their absences in the short term to ensure they play more of the 162 games this season as it goes on. I am not too worried about Stroman and Donaldson. Tulo is a crap shoot!!!! But what ever he plays above the 60 games he only played in last season is a bonus for the team, as long as he plays at a high level.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
In a world where the ball is in play less than it has ever been, and corner infield prospects are being moved to SS (Senzel), the Gift Ngoepe's of the world shouldn't sniff the major leagues, let alone start for any team interested in anything other than Tanking.

playoff teams last year:

LAD ---
CLE Gonzalez 115pa, 76wrc+, 2.0df, 0.3war / Diaz 179pa, 86wrc+, 0.7df, 0.5war / Urshula 165pa, 4.3wrc+, 2.9df, -0.5war
HOU ----
WSH Difo 365pa, 76wrc+, 6.3df, 1.0war / Sanchez 75pa, 68wrc+, 2.6war, 0.1war / Drew 106pa, 70wrc+, 1.3df, 0.1war
ARZ Ahmed 178pa, 76wrc+, 2.1df, 0.2war / Rosales 89pa, 41wrc+, 0.3df, -0.4war
BOS Marrero 188pa, 51wrc+, +6.0df, 0.0war
CHC ----
NYY Torreyes 336p1, 82wrc+, 1.3df, 0.6war
MIN Adrianza 186pa, 84wrc+, 3.5df, 1.0war
COL Story 555pa, 81wrc+, 7.6df, 1.3war

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013

Why oh why they won't put Eugenio Suarez there I don't know, considering he came up as one and seems like he could still handle it. He made some impressive strides offensively last year, and that just seems like the move of least resistance to me rather than forcing Senzel there.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
That's funny, I've suffered grade 3 tears of both the hamstring and calf muscles before, and came back faster and more explosive. Weird.

You should tell Donaldson about your doctor. And me. I’ve also torn my hamstring and that is better than new but my calf aches all the time. Physio, acupuncture and massage don’t do much to help. I’ve accepted that. I’m old so maybe that’s why. Haha

Savage.

He's been hitting the ball, which is nice, but has taken 2 walks in 27 plate appearances. That's his issue, and the reason why most of his success (i.e. April\May of last year) is unsustainable. I'm more interested in how his defense looks this year.

As for Hernandez, he's not replacing Pillar in CF (Alford is). He's the guy who comes up to play full time in LF when Granderson\Pearce get hurt or move to platoon in the DH slot (in the case when Morales is Robidas'd).

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Miguel Castro starting todays game for the O's. My first thought was, wow he's moved around from the rockies to the O's. I thought he had good potential.

1st batter gets beaned with his fastball which reminds me...oh yeah, that's why. Hah. Good tools, no toolbox.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Miguel Castro starting todays game for the O's. My first thought was, wow he's moved around from the rockies to the O's. I thought he had good potential.

1st batter gets beaned with his fastball which reminds me...oh yeah, that's why. Hah. Good tools, no toolbox.

Really rushed and mismanaged his development.

2013: Pitched 70 innings in Rookie ball and the Dominican Summer league
2014: Pitched 80 innings at all 3 levels in A ball (only 8.2 innings in A+)
2015: Started the year in the majors

Hard to ever expect him to develop or flourish after pitching 8.2 innings in A+ ball then jumping to the Majors and after they deemed he wasnt good enough to stay they sent him to AAA. He was rushed and after they realized he wasnt good enough he should have been sent to AA. It may have worked for Osuna but he is the exception to the rule. Not that Castro was expected to be a stud prospect but he was rushed as a 20 year old and he is still only 23... most prospects would have yet to pitch in the majors.

Edit: That being said with his K/BB ratio i doubt he has much of a ceiling unless he improves that.

Last edited:
Reactions: TootooTrain

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
playoff teams last year:

LAD ---
CLE Gonzalez 115pa, 76wrc+, 2.0df, 0.3war / Diaz 179pa, 86wrc+, 0.7df, 0.5war / Urshula 165pa, 4.3wrc+, 2.9df, -0.5war
HOU ----
WSH Difo 365pa, 76wrc+, 6.3df, 1.0war / Sanchez 75pa, 68wrc+, 2.6war, 0.1war / Drew 106pa, 70wrc+, 1.3df, 0.1war
ARZ Ahmed 178pa, 76wrc+, 2.1df, 0.2war / Rosales 89pa, 41wrc+, 0.3df, -0.4war
BOS Marrero 188pa, 51wrc+, +6.0df, 0.0war
CHC ----
NYY Torreyes 336p1, 82wrc+, 1.3df, 0.6war
MIN Adrianza 186pa, 84wrc+, 3.5df, 1.0war
COL Story 555pa, 81wrc+, 7.6df, 1.3war

Oh come on now Zeke. Replacement level players who are glove first (only) guys will always see time in the majors, and deep teams (like the mighty Indians lol) will be able to eat the nil contribution from the bat. But that doesn't mean its a good strategy, nor does it mean its a decision a GM should make by choice.

When it comes to the Jays' current situation, Solarte\Diaz is more than enough to cover while Tulowitzki is on the DL. I take Gurriel North before Ngeope sniffs the roster.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The Jays developed him fine. Gave him a try as a quick-rise RP, and then traded him before having to change plans.

It's the rockies that screwed up after trading for him. They should have sent him straght back down to A+ to start.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

He started against the Jays in his last start. I didn't get to see it, but his line was unimpressive, though not terrible. Today looks ugly, and his overall line is pretty bad.

It says a lot about the Orioles' starting pitching that Chris Tillman is the clear #4 while Castro is still firmly in the discussion for the #5 spot despite being bad in relief in the majors and equally bad in relief in AAA each of the last three years while making a total of six starts over that span.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Apparently the Jays are going to bring over the following players to play against the Jr. National Canadian team on Saturday.

Vlad Jr., Bo Bichette, Cavan Biggio, Dwight Smith Jr., Kacy Clemens, and Brandon Grudzielank.

Which is a fun touch.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
The Jays developed him fine. Gave him a try as a quick-rise RP, and then traded him before having to change plans.

It's the rockies that screwed up after trading for him. They should have sent him straght back down to A+ to start.

So the Jays strategy of sending him to AAA after he failed in the majors was "fine" and the Rockies strategy of leaving him at that same level after the trade screwed him up?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Oh come on now Zeke. Replacement level players who are glove first (only) guys will always see time in the majors, and deep teams (like the mighty Indians lol) will be able to eat the nil contribution from the bat. But that doesn't mean its a good strategy, nor does it mean its a decision a GM should make by choice.

When it comes to the Jays' current situation, Solarte\Diaz is more than enough to cover while Tulowitzki is on the DL. I take Gurriel North before Ngeope sniffs the roster.

nah, I have no problem with a pure glove middle infield callup fill in, rather than a guy who won't hit enough anyways even with a lesser glove. He's going to get barely any playing time (diaz/solarte will get all the starts anyways), and it's nice to have a guy whose glove can play all over the infield in a pinch.

I was fine with Goins as milb depth, it was only when he ran out of options that he became a problem.

If we get into a situation where we need a more permanent fill in, then that's a different story. Of course, by that time, it'll be BO time.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
So the Jays strategy of sending him to AAA after he failed in the majors was "fine" and the Rockies strategy of leaving him at that same level after the trade screwed him up?

correct. the Jays had him pitch 30 innings of relief in MLB/AAA in the hopes of a short term fix. Eventually they should have sent him back down to start in A+ too, if they had kept him.

The Rockies, though, with no short-term needs, should have most definitely have sent him right back to A+ immediately as an SP.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
nah, I have no problem with a pure glove middle infield callup fill in, rather than a guy who won't hit enough anyways even with a lesser glove. He's going to get barely any playing time (diaz/solarte will get all the starts anyways), and it's nice to have a guy whose glove can play all over the infield in a pinch.

I was fine with Goins as milb depth, it was only when he ran out of options that he became a problem.

If we get into a situation where we need a more permanent fill in, then that's a different story. Of course, by that time, it'll be BO time.

I would caution against placing a large amount of weight on a first foray into professional North American baseball after missing the majority of the prior year.

For the rest, completely understood. I'm good with it if he's keeping the bench warm and maybe entering into a game as a defensive replacement. But if we're talking even semi-regular PA's, its a no go for me.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
in the hopes of a short term fix

I think that's the crux of it all. Hoping for a "short term fix" from a fast-rising 20-year-old isn't a great strategy. It worked out beautifully with Osuna, and the front office deserves a ton of credit for that decision. But they also deserve some of the blame for the way Castro has developed.

Reactions: phillipmike
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->