All USA top 3 in 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

X0ssbar

Steadfast said:
Backstrom is looking like a top 10 pick. I will throw out a list too.

1. Kessel
2. Toews
3. Johnson
4. Frolik
5. Mueller
6. Staal
7. Sheppard
8. Little
9. Backstrom
10. Sanguinetti

4 Americans, 4 Canadians, a Czech and a Swede.

A stupid question but who is the other yank? I've got Kessel, Mueller, Johnson and......Backstrom? Thx in advance.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
Kritty said:
I agree completely. In the Canada game, Staal and Parent totally shut down Kessel. For the most part, he was invisible all game long. It just goes to show that Kessel is not as good as everyone seems to think he is.

you just proved a great point. a huge factor in canada's game plan was to shut down kessel, the US on the other hand probably made no point to pay any special attention to toews.

toews is a great prospect, and will likely become a very solid nhl'er, but i really cant see what he has done to overtake kessel (or even to become a lock to go top 3). his numbers are very good at nodak for a 17 yr old, and hes had marginal impact at the wjc's.

erik johnson i think has the best chance (probably only) to overtake kessel at #1, although i dont see it. in every ncaa game the ntdp plays he is consistently mentioned as one of the best players on the ice, and he is also being mentioned as one of the top defensemen at the wjc's as an 88.

frolik, from what scouts have seen, hasnt done anything to close the gap on kessel back in europe and hasnt done much at the wjc's either. even if kessel "hasnt improved" much over the past year, frolik hasnt either, in effect widening the gap btwn himself and the top candidates.

KariyaIsGod*

Rush5Collapse5 said:
Why? He's been invisible in the WJC.

He hasn't been invisible at all...

He hasn't blown anyone's mind but let's face it. He's 17.

In reality, what has Kessel done anyway?

Shutdown by Canada... Unspectacular against the Swiss and Finns. He scored a five point game, AGAINST NORWAY... How many of those assists were on the powerplay by the way?

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
DrMoses said:
He hasn't been invisible at all...

He hasn't blown anyone's mind but let's face it. He's 17.

In reality, what has Kessel done anyway?

Shutdown by Canada... Unspectacular against the Swiss and Finns. He scored a five point game, AGAINST NORWAY... How many of those assists were on the powerplay by the way?

Wow, just wow..

Kessel was all over the place vs Finland and Norway, and was only fatigued like the rest of the US team vs Canada (having played the night before). The tournament is still young..

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Rush5Collapse5 said:
Wow, just wow..

Kessel was all over the place vs Finland and Norway, and was only fatigued like the rest of the US team vs Canada (having played the night before). The tournament is still young..

You saying Toews has been invisable deserves a 'Wow, just wow.' too. He hasn't lit up the scoreboard but he has been dangerous and very good all over the ice. He's not losing any value at this tournament.

Transported Upstater

Le Golie said:
You saying Toews has been invisable deserves a 'Wow, just wow.' too. He hasn't lit up the scoreboard but he has been dangerous and very good all over the ice. He's not losing any value at this tournament.

I love the way Toews plays.

And I like that his name is pronounced in a way that is not indicated by the spelling.

KariyaIsGod*

Rush5Collapse5 said:
Wow, just wow..

He was all over the ice vs. FINLAND and NORWAY...

What has he done against teams who have a shot at winning this tournament? Nothing.

As for fatigue,. that's not an excuse. That's a weakness. If he has trouble handling the "rigours" of playing every second night at the age of 18, what does that say about his ability to not tire throughout an NHL season against thougher competition when he's older?

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
I Really like Sanguanetti, I watched him play alot this year in Owen Sound and he is a great all around d-man prospect. Don't be surprised to see him in the top 15 come draft time.

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
DrMoses said:
He was all over the ice vs. FINLAND and NORWAY...

What has he done against teams who have a shot at winning this tournament? Nothing.

As for fatigue,. that's not an excuse. That's a weakness. If he has trouble handling the "rigours" of playing every second night at the age of 18, what does that say about his ability to not tire throughout an NHL season against thougher competition when he's older?

The tournament is still young for Kessel who has already shown why he is the consensus #1 overall in comparison to Frolik and Toews. When Kessel goes #1you can hang your head in shame I guess. Toews has been nowhere in ANY game. At least Kessel has made his presence known with a dazzling display of speed and moves in both Norway and Finland.

The rest of your comments are just ludicrous and don't warrant a serious response. Any team (NHL included) is obviously tired a night after a tough game.

-

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Kritty said:
I agree completely. In the Canada game, Staal and Parent totally shut down Kessel. For the most part, he was invisible all game long. It just goes to show that Kessel is not as good as everyone seems to think he is.

Interesting logic. If we're using one game (or one tournament) to decide who goes first overall (or the top five) in the 2006 draft, then where would Toews, who also did "nothing" fit in? The fact is, Kessel has put up POINTS in this tourney, whereas guys like Toews and Frolik have not. Shoot, Erik Johnson has outpointed both of those players! Yes, Kessel is not a generational talent, but he has outclassed his peers in the 2006 draft class in this tourney and will be the probable number one pick. Personally, I don't see a big differance between a guy like Toews and another highly regarded American Peter Mueller. Mueller's as big, as talented, and is showing he can produce in a tough league.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Le Golie said:

Fair enough, but IMO he and a guy like Frolik haven't done anything to gain on Kessel either. I know Kessel got five of eight points against Norway, but he does have eight points with up to three more games to play. He has produced and that HAS to sustain his value pre-tournament, which is the probable number one overall draft pick.

KariyaIsGod*

Rush5Collapse5 said:
The tournament is still young for Kessel who has already shown why he is the consensus #1 overall in comparison to Frolik and Toews. When Kessel goes #1you can hang your head in shame I guess. Toews has been nowhere in ANY game. At least Kessel has made his presence known with a dazzling display of speed and moves in both Norway and Finland.

The rest of your comments are just ludicrous and don't warrant a serious response. Any team (NHL included) is obviously tired a night after a tough game.

-

Are they so tired that it affects their play significantly and becomes an excuse for poor performances that follow?

You're right, Kessel probably will go #1. Toews and Johnson should both get looks though because the fact is, Kessel has done very little in this tournament to support the hype.

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
DrMoses said:
Are they so tired that it affects their play significantly and becomes an excuse for poor performances that follow?

You're right, Kessel probably will go #1. Toews and Johnson should both get looks though because the fact is, Kessel has done very little in this tournament to support the hype.

Wait Kessel is tied for the lead in WJC scoring so far and he's done very little?

Wow.

And where is Toews on that WJC scoring leaders list? :sarcasm:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
DrMoses said:

I have to echo the other poster. If Kessel isn't living up to the hype than what is Toews doing? He's playing on a competant scoring line and while he isn't getting top minutes is playing a fair amount. What has he done at North Dakota or the WJC's to justify leaping ahead of Kessel? NOTHING! Erik Johnson, a DEFENSEMAN has more points than Toews, and don't claim weakness of opposition (Norway) because Canada played them as well. The fact is, Kessel leads this tournament in assists and co-leads in points. You can't deny production.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Rabid Ranger said:
I have to echo the other poster. If Kessel isn't living up to the hype than what is Toews doing? He's playing on a competant scoring line and while he isn't getting top minutes is playing a fair amount. What has he done at North Dakota or the WJC's to justify leaping ahead of Kessel? NOTHING! Erik Johnson, a DEFENSEMAN has more points than Toews, and don't claim weakness of opposition (Norway) because Canada played them as well. The fact is, Kessel leads this tournament in assists and co-leads in points. You can't deny production.

Bingo.

Toews is a nice Canadian prospect, but to put him on Johnson or Kessel's level at this point is making it a bit obvious that they have not really seen him that much at the college level. He's a nice prospect but he's frankly not as good as either Johnson or Kessel.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Jon Prescription said:
Bingo.

Toews is a nice Canadian prospect, but to put him on Johnson or Kessel's level at this point is making it a bit obvious that they have not really seen him that much at the college level. He's a nice prospect but he's frankly not as good as either Johnson or Kessel.

Frankly, I think the two players that should be compared is Mueller and Toews. Same age and height, with Mueller being bigger and Toews the better skater. Mueller has put up a PPG in the WHL as a 1st year player, is well-rounded, and is a good playmaker and competant finisher.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Rabid Ranger said:
Frankly, I think the two players that should be compared is Mueller and Toews. Same age and height, with Mueller being bigger and Toews the better skater. Mueller has put up a PPG in the WHL as a 1st year player, is well-rounded, and is a good playmaker and competant finisher.

At this stage with them, I'd take Toews. I just think he's a bit of a safer bet than big Peter to be a solid NHLer. If Mueller continues to light it up and Toews continues to just be "there", then I might change my mind come draft time.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Jon Prescription said:
At this stage with them, I'd take Toews. I just think he's a bit of a safer bet than big Peter to be a solid NHLer. If Mueller continues to light it up and Toews continues to just be "there", then I might change my mind come draft time.

Just a question, but why is he a safer bet? Before this season, there was talk that if there was any player who could surpass Kessel for number one it would be Mueller. I think he's kind of flown under the radar around here, but I bet scouts are taking notice. He's playing a prominent role for the U.S. in this tournament and is being used in all situations, including key faceoffs. He's also putting up points at critical times, such as the the game-tying goal against Canada.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Rabid Ranger said:
Just a question, but why is he a safer bet? Before this season, there was talk that if there was any player who could surpass Kessel for number one it would be Mueller. I think he's kind of flown under the radar around here, but I bet scouts are taking notice. He's playing a prominent role for the U.S. in this tournament and is being used in all situations, including key faceoffs. He's also putting up points at critical times, such as the the game-tying goal against Canada.

When I see Toews I see at minimum a second line player. At minimum. I just don't think he has lower upside than a second line player. With Mueller, I just think there is a bit more of a risk there. His scoring might not translate as well to the NHL and I really do like Toews all around game a bit more. He's not MUCH safer of a prospect, but just a tad and that might sway a GM to take him ahead of Mueller if something scared him off. That's all.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Jon Prescription said:
When I see Toews I see at minimum a second line player. At minimum. I just don't think he has lower upside than a second line player. With Mueller, I just think there is a bit more of a risk there. His scoring might not translate as well to the NHL and I really do like Toews all around game a bit more. He's not MUCH safer of a prospect, but just a tad and that might sway a GM to take him ahead of Mueller if something scared him off. That's all.

That's fine, just curious. I guess my overall point is Toews is more in Mueller or Frolik's class than Kessel and Erik Johnson's.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Rabid Ranger said:
That's fine, just curious. I guess my overall point is Toews is more in Mueller or Frolik's class than Kessel and Erik Johnson's.

And on that, I definately agree. I can't see EJ not going #2/1 at this point. And Kessel won't slip past #2 unless he completely implodes.

X-SHARKIE

Peter Mueller is one of the most underated players in this draft crop and I too wouldn't be surprised to see Americans go 1-2-3. But I think the Toews hype has caught on strong, and he's one hell of a player and should go 2 or 3.... if i'm picking second though I probally would go with E. Johnson... the kid is a horse and has really impressed me at the WJC's, I still would like to see more poise with the puck when he distributes it though, on the outlet he seems to just play race horse hockey and skate it up, I would like to see him make a nice long feed once out of hiz own zone.

Nicklas Backstrom was excellent at the U-18's last year and his accomplishments in the SEL this year have caught my attention, and now he is carrying team Sweden at a tender age in the WJC's... he could go top five.

1. Kessel
2. Johnson
3. Toews
4. Mueller
5. Backstrom

Booya!

KStewart113

Jun 21, 2005
I havent seen much of Frolik, but Kessel and Johnson could be top 3's. I do think Toews will be a top pick...top 3 I'm not sure...he has skill for sure but he seems very small to me when I watch him. Not sure if he could handle the punishment at the NHL level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad