All USA top 3 in 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
3 2006 eligible americans are having a great wjc's. i think kessel has solidified himself as the #1 overall pick, and right now is a virtual lock. erik johnson and peter mueller are playing great as well. frolik and toews havent done much of anything and this tournament hasnt helped their stock much, and maybe even hurt it. could we see kessel, johnson, mueller go 1-2-3 in this years draft?

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
To the first post: Kessel is anything but a lock for first overall. Just speaking from knowing my team's prospect, Marc Staal hasn't registered any points, but it doesn't have any effect on his status. Toews has put up a few points however isnt really expected to. He's a heads up, smart player for Canada.

To the second post: Why is it doubtful Mueller goes 3rd? Because he has a chance going 2nd or even first? Mueller definately has the talent, intangibles, and measurables to be atleast 3rd overall.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I'm not sold on Kessel #1 just yet.

He seems to have gotten where he is based on a select repertoire of skills. Up till now he could rely on his speed, shot, a select few moves, etc.; but this level of play is exposing gaping holes in his game.
He's easily taken off the puck physically, and I think his 'hockey sense' isn't all it's hyped up to be.

I've been far more impressed with Erik Johnson. Not since Bouwmeester in '00 has such a young defensemen looked so poised at the WJC.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I am not really sure if the Pens will go defense this time or add another forward. So Kessel's draft position remains up in the air . . . ;)

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
impressingagent said:
like the stadium crosby is crying his way into and if pittsburgh gets another high pick i might as well join him. :cry:

I don't understand a word of this.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
I am not really sure if the Pens will go defense this time or add another forward. So Kessel's draft position remains up in the air . . . ;)

If the Pens are picking 1st right now they do not take Kessel. With Crosby and Malkin they would do better to trade down and grab a Toews or a Johnson. Come the end of the year I don't think Pittsburgh will be selecting #1 anyways.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I would not be surprised to see Kessell and EJ at one and two (maybe not in that order respectively) but I can't see Mueller going third overall. He's a very good prospect, but I'm not entire convinced he'll even be in the top five. Personally, at this point, I see him more likely to end up 5-7 area, but it is still very early.

A great top-end crop of American talent this draft for sure, though.

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
Matt MacInnis said:
I would not be surprised to see Kessell and EJ at one and two (maybe not in that order respectively) but I can't see Mueller going third overall. He's a very good prospect, but I'm not entire convinced he'll even be in the top five. Personally, at this point, I see him more likely to end up 5-7 area, but it is still very early.

A great top-end crop of American talent this draft for sure, though.

Agreed. I haven't seen too much of Frolik play yet(outside of the exceptional goal vs Belarus), but from what I've seen of Kessel he owns the #1 spot ability wise compared to anyone else at the WJC's I've seen so far. Erik Johnson is a moose on the blueline with skill to boot, and great instincts for a rearguard. With his size and the prospect of him still growing even more than his gargantuan size now, he seems an easy lock for somehwere in the top 4 behind Kessel.

AgentNaslund*

too bad, the 1st round will once again be dominated by Canadians.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
monster_bertuzzi said:
1)Kessel
2)Frolik
3)Johnson
4)Toews
5)Mueller
6)Little
7)Sheppard
8)Staal
9)Vasyunov
10)Shuttron

Take a good hard look because thats how it will go down.

Wow, Vasyunov in the top 10?!? He isn't even the best Russian right now!!

Frolik will not go #2.

dancingtree

May 9, 2003
So-Cal
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
1)Kessel
2)Frolik
3)Johnson
4)Toews
5)Mueller
6)Little
7)Sheppard
8)Staal
9)Vasyunov
10)Shuttron

Take a good hard look because thats how it will go down.
I thought Brule was going #2 for sure? Ohh......that was LAST YEAR's prediction that didn't go down.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
i know the draft is 6 months away, but i see it as a 2 horse race for number 1 overall between kessel and erik johnson, with kessel having a huge lead (a lock imo). i dont see toews, frolik, mueller, or staal really in the running at this point, but #3 overall will be a battle between those 4.

Garp

Jul 5, 2004
Here
orangeandblack said:
i know the draft is 6 months away, but i see it as a 2 horse race for number 1 overall between kessel and erik johnson, with kessel having a huge lead (a lock imo). i dont see toews, frolik, mueller, or staal really in the running at this point, but #3 overall will be a battle between those 4.
This is a really USA biaised way to see it. At this point, I'm not sure I wouldn't take Toews before Kessel, and I would surely take him before Johnson...

L3DZ3P

Aug 18, 2003
Trois-Rivières,Qc
orangeandblack said:
At this point I think Kessel,E johnson and Toews have pretty much an equal chance to go first overall.I was impressed with Kessel at last year wjc for a 17 years old.But it seems that he have not progress much since then.He's having a good year at minnesota this year but nothing more.Kessel is an excellent prospect but he has been ridicously overated in the past year.Imo he's far from a lock.

Vic Rattlehead*

I remember several months ago I believed others when they said that it was impossible for anyone to overtake Kessel for the #1 spot.

Now, I acutally believe that either Erik Johnson or Toews could be selected first, instead of Kessel. Kessel is still the leader of the pace, but the gap between him and Johnson/Toews/Frolik isn't a large as it used to be.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Zine said:
I'm not sold on Kessel #1 just yet.

He seems to have gotten where he is based on a select repertoire of skills. Up till now he could rely on his speed, shot, a select few moves, etc.; but this level of play is exposing gaping holes in his game.
He's easily taken off the puck physically, and I think his 'hockey sense' isn't all it's hyped up to be.

I've been far more impressed with Erik Johnson. Not since Bouwmeester in '00 has such a young defensemen looked so poised at the WJC.

I agree completely. In the Canada game, Staal and Parent totally shut down Kessel. For the most part, he was invisible all game long. It just goes to show that Kessel is not as good as everyone seems to think he is.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Backstrom is looking like a top 10 pick. I will throw out a list too.

1. Kessel
2. Toews
3. Johnson
4. Frolik
5. Mueller
6. Staal
7. Sheppard
8. Little
9. Backstrom
10. Sanguinetti

4 Americans, 4 Canadians, a Czech and a Swede.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad