Speculation: All Time Fighter Line

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
From your favorite team, ice the five toughest players in your opinion, regardless of when they played. Which team will have the all-time toughest team? Don't worry about LW/RW/C, just three scrappy forwards and two scrappy defense. Bonus points for having a tough goalie. (I'm looking at you Philly fans) :)

Oilers:

Dave Brown - Semenko - Laraque
McSorley
- Beukeboom

Last edited:

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Jim McKenzie - Georges Laraque - Eric Godard

Marty McSorley - Deryk Engelland

Honorable mentions: Bob "Battleship" Kelly, Steve MacIntyre (never fought in a Pens uniform, but still), Rick Tocchet, Francois Leroux, Eric Cairns (was past his prime on Pitt).

Pittsburgh is known as a team that had a lot of punching bags as fighters; was rather difficult to make a line-up. Jim McKenzie had a cup of coffee with the team. Still wanted to add him.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Stan Jonathan - Terry O'Reilly - Jay Miller
Eddie Shore - Zdeno Chara

HM:
Pj Stock
Lyndon Byers
Shawn Thornton
Chris Nilan

Both MacIntyre and McGrattan played in the Bruins system but never fought as Bruins, which sucked.

Harry Waters

Oct 19, 2012
I didn't think that it would be that good, but

Brashear-Simon-Berube
Erskine-Stevens
Kolzig

isn't bad at all. Especially on forward that is a very tough lineup.

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
I didn't think that it would be that good, but

Brashear-Simon-Berube
Erskine-Stevens
Kolzig

isn't bad at all. Especially on forward that is a very tough lineup.

I had the same thought, a person doesn't realize how the muscle adds up until you see it as a line up.

steezyjeeves

Apr 18, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Chris Neil - Denis Vial - Brian MacGrattan
Zdeno Chara - Matt Carkner

Ray Emery

Obviously guys like Matt Kassian, Rob Ray and a few other could make the argument to replace Neil or Vial, but I only wanted to include players who played a decent tenure with the team.

Pretty solid lineup for a team with such a short history.

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
You guys realize that at the end of this, we're absolutely going to have to argue about which team would win a line brawl....right?

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Grimson - Probert - Kocur
Carkner - Rouse

Vernon
Joseph

I'll take my top line against anyone's top line. Two top 5 fighters and arguably another top 10 fighter in Grimson. The defense is comparatively weak. Neither Carkner nor Rouse were in their fighting primes in Detroit, but nobody else popped into my head.

Last edited:

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
I wouldn't take him over McGrattan, but the others, yes.

McCarthy was a beast in the early to mid 90's. Arguably the top guy in the league at one time, along with Twist and Simon. Hard to say any heavyweight nowadays is better, since we hardly see any fights from heavyweights. McGrattan is a tank, but not as tested as a prime McCarthy, who had tougher competition and more fights on a weekly basis.

In any case, we agree he should be on Calgary's list of best fighters.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
McCarthy was a beast in the early to mid 90's. Arguably the top guy in the league at one time, along with Twist and Simon. Hard to say any heavyweight nowadays is better, since we hardly see any fights from heavyweights. McGrattan is a tank, but not as tested as a prime McCarthy, who had tougher competition and more fights on a weekly basis.

In any case, we agree he should be on Calgary's list of best fighters.

I don't disagree with him being one of the top dogs in the mid 90's, I absolutely agree with that. I just don't think you can ignore that McGrattan hasn't lost a fight since 2009, and that was to Boogaard.

People are legit terrified of the man. It sucks he can't find dance partners like he used to, but the pacific division looks to have beefed up this year, so hopefully we see him in the lineup against some of the big guys on those teams.

ceg195

Nov 6, 2012
Tie Domi-Tiger Willams-Wendal Clark
Wade Belak-Red Horner
Felix Potvin

Coach-Pat Quinn

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
I misunderstood the OP's question. I guess the fighters do have to be somewhat positional (can't have forwards playing defense). Will revise my list.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
From your favorite team, ice the five toughest players in your opinion, regardless of when they played. Which team will have the all-time toughest team? Don't worry about LW/RW/C, just three scrappy forwards and two scrappy defense. Bonus points for having a tough goalie. (I'm looking at you Philly fans) :)

Oilers:

Dave Brown - Semenko - Laraque
McSorley
- Beukeboom

You really wouldn't stick MacIntyre in there? He'd probably SMACk any of those guy as well as anyone else like ever lol

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
You really wouldn't stick MacIntyre in there? He'd probably SMACk any of those guy as well as anyone else like ever lol

I like McIntyre, but all those forwards are ranked higher than him all time. McIntyre didn't have enough fights at the top level against the top fighters to be ahead of any of those forwards listed.

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015

Believe me I thought about it! I like Big Mac a lot, strong SK boy. If Steve played D, he'd have popped Beukeboom out of his slot in a heartbeat.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Steve MacIntyre is 6'5 250, he'd have handed everyone their ass, he had 35 lbs of muscle over Brown.

If we're drafting all time fighters, I draft him with my first overall pick.

If he's an option for an all time fighter line, he'd better be on it.

He more or less ended Belak and Boogaard. And Ivanans.

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
Steve MacIntyre is 6'5 250, he'd have handed everyone their ass, he had 35 lbs of muscle over Brown.

If we're drafting all time fighters, I draft him with my first overall pick.

If he's an option for an all time fighter line, he'd better be on it.

He more or less ended Belak and Boogaard. And Ivanans.

Put him on your list then. :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad