All-time Draft # 5b - The Minor League

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
The Albany River Rats are pleased to select one of the early greats

Hod Stuart

William "Hod" Stuart learned to play hockey on the fertile sporting grounds that were the Ottawa Valley. He enjoyed playing rugby in the autumn but later rose to prominence as one of the greatest defencemen to play the game in hockey's early day. He was as complete a player as there was back in the days of the "onside" game. He could skate, shoot, and make the big play from his point position.

Stuart was a clean player who played for keeps. His punishing checks and long reach frustrated his opponents as much as his offensive rushes dazzled the fans.

An estimated 3,800 spectators attended a Hod Stuart Memorial Game on January 2, 1908. The exhibition, pitting the Montreal Wanderers against a squad of All-Stars, raised close to $2,000 for Stuart's widow and two children, and was the first such "all-star" contest in hockey.
- HHoF Bio

The Oughts:

Best Skater: Hod Stuart

Best Defensive Defenseman: Hod Stuart

Best Offensive Defenseman: Hod Stuart had top-notch skating ability, blazing speed, an a God-given genius for handling the puck. Like Doug Harvey and Bobby Orr, Stuart had the ability to control the tempo of the game.

Stuart stands among a select group of hockey legends, He was capable of controlling a game's flow, much like Doug Harvey of the Montreal Canadiens some 50 years later. Stuart died in his late twenties. One can only imagine what his career would hve been had he lived longer. In the eyes of Hall of Fame referee Chaucer Elliot, Stuart could "skate, shoot, play-make, and play-break... and was a good fellow as well."

Stuart was one of the 12 charter members of the Hockey Hall of Fame, elected in 1945.
- Ultimate Hockey

The Albany River Rats are pleased to select a player who was a 1st team all-star in all 5 years of the WCHL/WHL's existence

Duke Keats

In 1919 Keats joined the Edmonton Eskimos of the Big 4 western league and led the league in scoring for the next two seasons. In 1921 the Eskimos joined the Western Canada Hockey League and it was around this time that story is told of Duke skating the length of the ice backwards and scoring a goal on the opposition. We may never know if Keats actually accomplished such a feat but it is certainly a fact that he was a perennial All-Star while in the WCHL, being named to the First Team for four consecutive years from 1922 to 1925. He was also named as a First Team All-Star for the Western Hockey League in 1926. One of his most memorable goals came in the 1923 WCHL playoffs against Regina. Keats won the game for Edmonton on a penalty shot and the victory sent the Eskimos into the Stanley Cup finals against the Ottawa Senators of the National Hockey League. The Senators won the best-of-three series with two, single-goal victories, one coming in overtime.
- HHoF Bio

By age 14, Gordon Keats was tearing up the Cobalt Mining League on O'Brien Mines team. In the wake of his storied stints in Haileybury and Peterborough, the professional teams started to remember his name. After a while, people were coming from all over to sneak a peak at hockey's newest wunderkind. Keats received offers from every professional hockey town in the country. He signed in the fall of 1915 with the Toronto Blueshirts. In 1915-16, his rookie season, the tall muscular lad was stuffed in between Corb and Cy Denneny, a unit that would become the highest scoring in the NHA that season. Keats lived up to his billing, scoring 22 goals and 29 points in 24 games.

Keats hit his stride in Edmonton. The "Iron Duke", hailed on all sides as one of the most dominating forces ever seen, was the best player in the league. Throngs of people clamored to see this ig, strong center perform miracles with the puck. He shot as well as anyone anywhere, combining unparalleled offensive ability with a hard, clean style to become the greatest player to play in Edmonton before Gretzky.
- Ultimate Hockey

A fiery leader, once while playing for Toronto of the National Hockey Association during the 1916-17 season, Keats became so angered by the poor performance of goalie Billy Nicholson that he strapped on the pads and took over in net himself for the next period.
- Wings of Legend

18. Duke Keats, 2420 NPIM- Skill and toughness rolled into one. Keats was especially grumpy in 1926, the final year of the WCHL, when he collected 401 NPIM.
- Normalized Penalties

"Duke is the possessor of more hockey grey matter than any man who ever played the game." - Frank Patrick

"Keats was the brainiest pivot that ever strapped on a skate because he could organize plays and make passes every time he starts." - Lester Patrick

"Gordon (Duke) Keats was the best player of all time. You would have thought he had a nail in the end of his stick, the way he could carry that puck around. He was that good." - Lloyd McIntyre, Edmonton Eskimo teammate

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
#8 Marty Barry,C-X4B-6'0"195

Wherever he played, Marty Barry was a productive center whose work ethic was lauded by teammates and opponents alike. His stamina and dedication made him one of the most consistent and durable performers of his era. Between 1929 and 1939, he missed only two NHL regular season gamesA proficient scorer, he was known by the local sportswriters as "Goal-a-Game" Barry.

If we had Cooney Weiland, we’d be here," Ross expressed of Detroit’s all-star center. "If I had Marty Barry," Adams countered, referring to the Boston center, "we’d win the Stanley Cup."
The deal was consummated in June, with Barry and Art Giroux coming to Detroit for Weiland and Walt Buswell.
That April 1937, Adams was proven a prophet. Barry finished second in NHL scoring with 40 points and the Wings whipped Toronto to win their first title. Barry was third in league scoring the following year and led all playoff snipers with 11 points as Detroit retained its crown. He also set a playoff record in points that year and had the Conn Smythe been awarded back then hewould had claimed that as well.

The 1936-37 season was Barry’s finest. He earned selection to the First All-Star Team, was awarded the Lady Byng Trophy and scored two goals in Detroit’s 3-0 Cup-clinching victory over the New York Rangers, including the Cup winner.

"First, they award me the Lady Byng Trophy and then I score two goals tonight," Barry said after that game. "I guess I was celebrating."

Barry led the Wings in scoring in three of his four seasons with the club and the unit of Barry, Larry Aurie and Herbie Lewis was recognized as the NHL’s most effective forward line. "He was a very smooth centerman," teammate Carl Liscombe remembered of Barry. "He had the talent to get the puck by everyone. In that sense, Marty was one of the best." He gained a place in the Red Wings Hall of Fame in 1944 and the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1965

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Leaf Lander said:
he does have over 300 career wins made the quarterfinals 2 times.
and proceeded to get completely destroyed by Bure in 94. Potvin never was the same after that series.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Does it seem like everybody taken in this portion of the draft is either from the early early days or a recent player? I don`t think anybody picked yet played from 1940-1980.

The Rochester Americans select....

Vladimir Dzurilla

Most North American hockey fans hadn`t heard of Vladimir Dzurilla until the `76 Canada Cup late in his career, but he was the top goalie in Czechoslovakia throughout the late 60s. He was named the top goalie at the 1965 World Championships. He was one of the biggest goalies of his era, but had remarkably quick reflexes for someone of his burly size. In the 1970s Jiri Holocek emerged as the top Czech goalie, and Dzurilla would serve as his backup in most international tournaments, but in was at the 1976 Canada Cup where Dzurilla had another chance to shine. After Holocek had struggled against the U.S., Czech coach Jan Starsi put Druzilla in nets. In the next game against the mighty Canadian team (arguably the greatest hockey team ever), Dzurilla shut them out in a shocking 1-0 victory, receiving a respectful ovation from the Canadian crowd. He was a jovial man who always had a smile on his face and never failed to put hockey in it`s proper perspective. After the win against Canada when a reporter asked if it was the best moment of his life, he calmly answered that his marriage and the births of his children were the greatest thrills of his life.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Spitfire11 said:
GBC takes D James Patrick
Thanks, Spit. Notre Dame is pleased to add a defenceman with Patrick's speed and all-round abilities. People forget that he was a pretty good offensive defenceman in his prime. Like Cyclone Taylor, our #2 blue-line selection in All-time Draft #5, Patrick was as quick skating backwards as most players were forwards.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
Leaf Lander said:
im all for it

when is good for everyone?

God Bless Canada said it wouldn't work for him until after Thurs, 22nd and not on a Monday or Friday.

I'm gone to Edmonton Thurs, 22nd and back Monday, 26th. I'll have limited intranet access during the late evenings but other than that, I'll be on the hiway or at the race track all weekend. If it looks like I'll have picks up I'll forward my wish list to Leaf Lander.

It would be good to get this done by July 1st

How about Tuesday evening June 27th?

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
27th might work for me. I have a very spontaneous work schedule that can change, literally, in the blink of an eye. If we do decide to go with that date, and something comes up and I can't make it, I'll send a copy of my list to one of the pool's trustworthy leaders. If we do try this, I think it's necessary that we have a 90-120 second time limit on picks, or it will drag out. (I have an extensive list now as it is, so my picks wouldn't be a problem).

The biggest challenge could be time zones, as LL is a cushy four hours ahead of the West Coast GMs.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Im a night hawk so i may not be the problem here :D

anytime around 10 pm 9 est may be a good time if bm67 and spitfire can stay up that late:)

why not before june 27

I am going back to work soon and when i do i wont be choosing my schedual right away I ll be fitted back in before my senority kicks in at the next shift bid.

So i cant say june 27th is good for me. My place of work is open 24 -7

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Vadenais' a great pick. One of the best offensive defencemen available. But so is the player we're selecting in the fourth round, a blue-liner who scored at nearly a point-per-game clip in 83 post-season games:

D Paul Reinhart​

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
reckoning said:
Does it seem like everybody taken in this portion of the draft is either from the early early days or a recent player? I don`t think anybody picked yet played from 1940-1980.

The Rochester Americans select....

Vladimir Dzurilla

reck,

I think the reason why is because we've kind of tapped the Original Six era. There isn't a ton of talent yet. A lot of the 20s and 30s players, as well as pre-NHL players, tend to slip because they don't get a lot of attention, except for the stars. As for the post WHA merger, we've seen those guys play, we know what they're about, but one other factor: there's more players to choose from. The quantity of players for the minor league draft is superior.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad